Balance boards- just a lark or genuine training benefits?

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Balance boards- just a lark or genuine training benefits?

Postby wannabesurfer2003 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:05 pm

Hey all,

thinking of buying a balance board for those few minutes a day I get to myself. I know they are good for a little core strength and I assume they help with overall balance ability, I would think this would show in your surfing but does anyone have any personal opinions or experience's to offer?

Expensive toy or genuine training aid?

Open floor.......... :?:
wannabesurfer2003

Re: Balance boards- just a lark or genuine training benefits

Postby Leven » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:55 am

They certainly help core strength and balance ability, and some of the Pro's use them too. Don't buy one though, just make one! Bit of drainpipe, and some wood....
Leven

Postby wannabesurfer2003 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:50 pm

Cheers Leven, never thought of that!! :-D
wannabesurfer2003

Postby skimmer2 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:38 pm

I have a lush balance board.....MSW sell them (or used to).

NIce bit of kit and good fun to spend some time on.

They are fun and can stregthen up leg and core muscles a bit and help with balance if you get into the I'm riding a barrel and grabbing the rail pose ( :lol: ) ......but they are fun most of all. I doubt it has done too much for my surfing if I am honest.

If you want to work on core strength an easy way to do that is to do is a plank and side plank each day....
skimmer2

Postby wannabesurfer2003 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:03 am

Cheers skimmer,

I recently got that fit to surf book by Rocky Snyder and have totally changed my workouts to better suit the requirements of a good surf sesh as opposed to just getting bigger all round!! Pretty good book to be honest and easy to fit in the workout routines with the minimal free time I get.

I guess the way I see it the balance board sounds like a bit of fun and won't do me any harm (till I wipeout at least) and could even help me with the balance issues I seem to be suffering from currently every time I paddle out.......

Thanks for the input, appreciate the advice :-D
wannabesurfer2003

Postby wjp1 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:33 pm

I think they are more of a lark than actually help. That surf book will do (us all) way more benefit than a indo board IMO
wjp1

Postby ATTMFKH » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:57 pm

Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby wannabesurfer2003 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:27 pm

ATTMFKH, Classic!! I love the fact you even shaped the fish tail on it!!

I have to agree the book is doing me more good than I expect the balance board will but I am gonna sort one just for laughs and because I am on the the road a lot with work, if i can have a giggle and do a little Phys at the same time I'll be happy with that.

Cheers for all the input, stay stoked!!
wannabesurfer2003

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:23 pm

/\/\/\/\ that made my day! I love the swallow tail to diamond tail conversion. I bought an Indo but on the cheap, they're definitely not worth £120 in my opinion. I still use mine for some core strength stuff but I actually found it really handy to get used to looking over my shoulder to my back hand. I noticed my cut backs and back hand surfing benefitted so they do have some use.
Jim Birtwisle

Postby wannabesurfer2003 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:49 am

I have just gone for a bongaboard @ £55 brand spankers, much less than the indo but a fair amount to spend on a toy still, the amount of time I am away with work it will earn its keep!! One thing I know for sure is my backhand can always use a bit of improving......;-)
wannabesurfer2003

Postby wannabesurfer2003 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:00 pm

Balance board = massive laughs!!! Worth every penny just to see my mates fall off it :lol:
wannabesurfer2003

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:09 am

wannabesurfer2003 wrote:Balance board = massive laughs!!! Worth every penny just to see my mates fall off it :lol:

True! Seeing my mate almost disappearing through the hedge after a few bevies is always fun.
Jim Birtwisle

Postby wannabesurfer2003 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:48 am

Truth!
wannabesurfer2003

Postby bombie » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:06 am

If you have bitumen near you (and you probably do) then a streetboardz skateboard is the way to go rather than getting a balance board - a balance board will improve your vertical balance but won't simulate the forces at work when you are on the wave. I bought the dragon model on the weekend and it rocks. I compared it with the longer cruiser model but the dragon gives you more immediate feedback on what your front and back feet are doing.
bombie

Postby wannabesurfer2003 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:41 pm

Hey bombie,

already got me a nice Lush longboards skateboard for a bit of fun in the sun, only trouble is my daughters love it and nick it off me every time I break it out........
wannabesurfer2003

Postby bombie » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:39 pm

Yeah, but check out the streetboardz - they've got spring loaded trucks which are a lot more carvey than traditional bushed trucks. It's a closer simulation to surfing. With a gentle slope you can practice linking top and bottom turns. On steep hills they are lethal.
bombie

Postby wannabesurfer2003 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:58 pm

Looked up the streetboardz website, they look bloody awesome but To be honest if I had the money they are asking spare I would probably buy another Surfboard!! Hope you enjoy the dragon mate.........
wannabesurfer2003

Return to Learn to Surf