Downsizing surfboard questions

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Downsizing surfboard questions

Postby Sawosz » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:05 pm

Hi!
I have been surfing in total for about 6 weeks now (on surftrips once, twice daily). I prolly can manage around 6 weeks of surftrips in a year or so. I ride a 8'2' BIC pop out but I feel that its holding me back right now due to it being so big and hard to move around quickly. I pop up on it fairly easy, manage to catch face of the wave, bottom turn front and backside and thats about it. The biggest problem I have is positioning i.e. finding/ getting the right spot to catch the wave partly due to the lack of maneuverability of the board (the other reason is I prolly still suck at reading the ocean). My question is, is it worth for me to downsize now?? I surfed a bit on a 7'6" BIC and it was a lot more maneverable and I didnt feel any difference in my wave catchin ability. I thought about getting this http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A ... =VAQEforFR I realy like the idea of this board but I am afraid it might be too small. Anyone has any advice on shape and size I should look for?? I know it would be best to try some stuff first but I dont think I have any possibilities to do that.

Ps. I am 70 kg and 173 cm tall and I am fairly fit as I do other sports ;)

Thanks in advance for your help!
Sawosz

Re: Downsizing surfboard questions

Postby wjp1 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:35 pm

personally I would say that's too small what you're looking at. Honestly at your stage I would stick with what you have, or perhaps swap for a 8' PU board - this will be faster and more easy to get waves. At your stage its all about getting as many waves as possible. Of course you could step down and you will have more maneuverable board, but your wave count is going to do down.. If you're really hell bent on getting a smaller board then get a hybrid 7' or something with plenty of nose and width for catchability.
wjp1

Postby Sawosz » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:53 am

Sawosz

Postby wjp1 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:53 am

Personally I would say something more like this :

http://www.secretspot.co.uk/surfboards/ ... 18575.aspx

it'll be more fun and easy than the other one you're looking at.

Honestly - if you don't really know your boards then go to a decent shop next time you're near the waves, and be totally honest about your ability and see what they suggest - even better - do this at 5 different shops and then decide - you should end up with a great board.
wjp1

Postby flacky » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:58 pm

Stick with what you have. 6 weeks is way to early to be blaming the board.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby swoop720 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:03 am

get something like a roger cooper 7'6 off ebay quick b4 the summer when the prices go up- you'll handle it easy and have lots of fun on it
swoop720

Return to Learn to Surf