novice surfers

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

novice surfers

Postby noodles09 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:52 pm

hi,

i was hoping for some help. ive been surfing twice one on the west of ireland and the second time in the ne of england. ??if the boards were bigger the second time but it was certainly easier. I've just moved closer to the coast and as a birthday present was hoping to buy my boyfriend a wetsuit and surfboard but i truthfully have no idea where to start. As i need two sets (his and mine) ideally not a £500 board. Also in terms of suit thickness what's recommended??

any help would be gratefully!!
thanks
noodles09

Re: novice surfers

Postby desmontracy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:40 am

Just like you I am still a beginner on surfing and as of now as much as I want to continue it I couldn't. I got an injury on my left foot so my doctor advise me to undergo some therapy for 3 months at least. I'm sure great surfers would help you here. :)

Postby Tony_Flow » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:23 pm

Hi there,

I live in the West of Ireland and I use a 5 mil wetsuit throughout the year although if it does warm up a bit you can get away with a 3 mil in the summer but it would want to be really warm out there.

At the moment you'll def need the 5 mil and booties, hood and gloves (tis cold :L)

Boards wise you could go the second hand route and get a mini-mal each somewhere around 7-8 ft. I started on a Bic 7'3 and they are great beginner boards cos you cant break them or really damage them and you can pick them up at good prices new and second hand. I got mine with a boardbag and leash on kingofwatersports.com but i'd say magic seaweed probably has starter packs too

Enjoy it!!

TF
Tony_Flow

Postby noodles09 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:08 pm

hi,

thanks a lot for your help. im just loooking into entire starter packs now. Ive been offered from a guy we did lessons with for 2 boards 2 wetsuits for 400. not sure if they are just foam boards in which case i believe one (hopefully) progresses out of quickly?

also seen this on ebay....its a new board...7'3 x 21,1/4 x 2'1/2 Bic minimal. ~(girls) is this any good? (for me clearly rather than a boy)

thanks again
noodles09

Postby Tony_Flow » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:07 am

Hiya

400 for 2 boards and 2 wetties is a really good price. Thing is tho if they are foamies your gonna be re-investing in a new board sooner rather than later if you take to the whole thing.

That Bic board you were looking at is the same as the one I started out on but the one your looking at has flowers on it (only difference) I didnt find it that difficult to start on it and i used it for a year before i upgraded.

So my advice (right or wrong) would be to buy a board rather than a foamie and then do a few lessons with a rented foamie before heading out with your bic minimal and then just perservere with the bic until you get used to it. There is a bit of a difference as in it will be harder to catch waves but once you start catching them you'll be flying it.

here's a rough guide to bic boards http://www.bicsportsurfboards.com/produ ... ,3,61.html

So you should be able to figure which one your suited to. Now this is NOT gospel but it helps

With wetsuits its a matter of choice really I got a good one because I knew i'd be surfing into the winter and wanted something that would last a bit so i went with an O'Neill Mutant. regardless of how much you spend on one I would go with a 5 mil suit as in you'll be cold in a 3 mil right now.
Try this for some guidance http://store.magicseaweed.com/blog/cate ... uit-guide/

Im no expert but hopefully all that will help you a bit

Good luck!!
Tony_Flow

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:07 pm

Definitely get a 5ml wetsuit as a first suit if you can. This is where you need to spend your money rather than the board to begin with. You could have the finest surfboard ever shaped in history, but it is useless unless you invest in a good wetsuit that allows you to spend time in the water. This will be especially so as you are learning and don't want to have to get out early all the time because you feel cold. So try the suits on, if you're not sure they fit well then don't buy them. There are plenty of pages on the net and videos on youtube about how a wetsuit should fit, check them out. If possible buy one with a hood, otherwise invest in a hood with a neck. You will need this during the coldest months when the swells are more consistent and will allow you more practice. Get gloves and boots also. Some people are fine with 3ml, some will say 7ml. Personally I use 5ml gloves and boots all winter without any major problems.
There is some good advice above re boards. You will outgrow a foamie very quickly if you keep at it. In fact these are only really useful for getting to your feet in the whitewater. Once you can do this you WILL want to progress to something else. Don't be in a hurry to buy a board as they come up for sale all the time. The issue of Bic'sand other 'pop out's' is devicive. Personally I loathe them. Not because of their mass manufacture or any of those kinds of politics, rather the one's I have tried seem terrible. It all comes down to how much you really want to surf. If you're committed and are willing to put as much time in the water as possible (plus put a bit of physical training in conducive to this) then by-pass the pop outs and go for a foam/glassed board. The difference in performance is noticable, but it is unlikely you are at that stage yet. Once out the whitewater and off the foamies spend your money on a decent used fiberglass board rather than being attracted by some of the brand new pop outs and their package deals. The best advice I had was to not buy one, however I am someone who will surf 2 or 3 times a day when I can and can think of little else but being in the water. Whatever you choose, good luck, but get your suits sorted first.
Jim Birtwisle

Postby slappywagish » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:14 pm

Hey. I learned to surf on an NSP which is really similar to a bit. They're grand but they're pretty heavy and stiff on a wave. My surfing really progressed massively when i got a really decent custom minimal. It's worth spending a little bit more on a better board even if they require a little bit more care.
pros of a pop out surfboard e.g. bic nsp: Cheap, indestructible, you'll catch some waves
pro's of spending a bit on something decent: better progression, more fun when you do get better at surfing, option of putting a decent set of fins on if you want. alot more menouverability, lighter, looks better, supports shapers. all of these change depending on the board you get. but ask a local shaper and you'll get good advice. I'd suggest Ian johnson of cequential surfboards, he's a nice guy and does good work and he's based in lahinch. wax on surfboards are stocked in some shops now too and they're an irish surfboard company. thay'd have good advice. you can usually pick up some half decent boards second hand on donedeal.ie. I've picked up a couple. helps if you know what you're looking for but as long as its water tight it should be ok to learn on. and as another poster said, invest in the wetsuit.
slappywagish

Return to Learn to Surf