Did i buy the wrong board.

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Did i buy the wrong board.

Postby pedro0077 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:30 pm

Hi I new to the forum and relativly new to the sport. I started last summer with my liitle boy(who has picked it up really well the little sod!) and after a couple of lessons I plunged in and bought a new board of ebay. I choose a bic minimal, 7ft 8. I used this board through out the summer down Llangenith and almost every time as soon as i catch a wave and pop up the board would just seem to sink into the water and all speed would be lost. Now dont get me wrong I am hardley far out catch proper waves, I am in amongst the swell but still seem to catch early speed. I am 6ft and just under 14 st and I have read certain threads that say this type oboard is suitable and other sites that say that it is to small for a dope like me. any suggestions would be appriciated as I love the sea as does my boy and I want to develop myself up to some sort of tidy standard so I can get the most out of this excellent sport.
I have been looking at longboards but my inexperience is making me hesitant in committing to purchasing again.
cheers
pedro0077

Re: Did i buy the wrong board.

Postby Murtle's magic board » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:06 pm

Why not try other boards, see what happens and take it from there.. Don't buy another board as it might not be right either.. :P
Murtle's magic board

Postby Black » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:43 pm

Your board should be ok. Your timing &/or technique is out. Study others & youtube. PRACTICE! Good luck!
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby wjp1 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:04 pm

Make your life more easy and get a 9' longboard - you'll have much more fun
wjp1

Postby Obelix » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:25 pm

Mate, I'm 6ft 2 and over 15 stone, and learnt on a 6ft 6 shortboard. Your board isn't too small, you just need to get in the water more and practice. To be honest, if you want to end up surfing a shortboard, you should learn from scratch on one of them, and not waste your time on a minimal or longboard. It seems all the rage for people in the UK to learn on these massive boards (and yes, your bic is massive). Yes, it is a bit harder to learn on a shorter board, but then they say nothing worthwhile is ever easy :-)
Obelix

Postby Black » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:27 pm

^^^ There's truth in what you say but he never said he wanted to be a shortboarder. :wink:
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby pedro0077 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:15 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, some great feedback there. TBH i have not thought about a shortboard as being a complete novice the best way to enjoy it straight from the beginning is to see gradual improvement and a bouyant board must be easier to learn on? Practice I am this year though, the next thing to buy is gonna be winter gear so I can maximise the time I can spend in the water. Looking at it realistically I need to spend more time in the water and more time on this board. Maybe even get a lesson or 2 on the board itself and then make a better assesment later on in the year. Happy dayz
pedro0077

Postby flacky » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:59 am

Find some buddies. Always easier to learn in a group, you spur each other on, learn from each others mistakes, and competition can't help... It's probably sinking as you slow down. It's a good board to learn on.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Return to Learn to Surf