Backhand bottom turns.

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Backhand bottom turns.

Postby rusty51 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:17 am

Hey guys and gals.

Im just trying to get to grips with my backhand bottom turns and Im wondering if anyone has any useful advice.

Ive read a lot of advice and watched as many videos as I can find but I can never seem to catch up with the section. I drop in straight down the face to gain as much speed as possible and leave it as long as I can (almost into the flats) before I start my turn but no matter what I do I dont seem to be able to make the first section and end up coming back into whitewater. Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers
Phil :-) :-)
rusty51

Re: Backhand bottom turns.

Postby gavtheoldskater » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:57 am

I drop in straight down the face to gain as much speed as possible and leave it as long as I can (almost into the flats) before I start my turn

there's your answer right there.

try angling your takeoff, the more the better.
a world of waves and a world of ways to ride them!
gavtheoldskater

Postby rusty51 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:08 am

Alright Gav,

See I was thinking this, but then a lot of things Ive read suggest your best off straight down the face, so you gain more speed and to leave it that extra second longer than you think. Everyone seems to have a different opinion. I can get down the line backhand by angling the takeoff, but it isnt really a bottom turn just a little check turn really.
rusty51

Postby Philshoz » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:04 am

Where are you surfing? What is the average size?
How much of a pit is there at the bottom. You need to work with the power at its most forceful point.
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby rusty51 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:42 pm

Hey Phil, Mainly Saltburn up in the NE, pretty slow beachbreak.

Anything small 2/3ft and I just try to angle the takeoff and get straight down the line. Its more when the surfs a bit bigger and any bottom turn just seems to result in me being overtaken by the whitewater, dont seem to be able to get out into the shoulder
rusty51

Return to Learn to Surf