Size of fin

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Size of fin

Postby Murtle's magic board » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:14 pm

Ok, i have a 9ft longboard and i usually use a 9ft fin. I just wanted to know when the waves get bigger do i change the fin to a smaller one ? or bigger ?
I tried a 8inch today in small waves with side bites... not sure if I liked it really... what do most people do... cheers :lol:
Murtle's magic board

Re: Size of fin

Postby skimmer2 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:15 pm

I reckon you may have trouble turning on a 9ft fin :wink:

If it is a single fin then 9inch is fine for both big and small waves if you have an allround shape. Fins can really alter how a board rides....many diff shapes .

Best fin I have tried (only tried a handful so no expert) is a Rainbow MD3. I have a 10 inch one on my 9ft 6 longboard. HUGE base so very stable but thins out a lot towards the tip so turns real quick.
skimmer2

Postby Murtle's magic board » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:16 pm

Whoops.... 9inch fin.... :-)

i will keep trying, I thought the 8inch with side bites would take turing quicker.. in fact it was hard work... The biggest problem is I am not the best so never know if its me or the fins...

I will see what 7 inches is like with side bites then make a decision.. cheers
Murtle's magic board

Postby skimmer2 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:35 pm

Murtle's magic board wrote:Whoops.... 9inch fin.... :-)

i will keep trying, I thought the 8inch with side bites would take turing quicker.. in fact it was hard work... The biggest problem is I am not the best so never know if its me or the fins...

I will see what 7 inches is like with side bites then make a decision.. cheers

the side bites will give you better hold in bigger waves. I had a 9ft 2 longboard - used side bites and a 7 or 8 fin....the eight was better. So much depends on the board, the fins and its position in the box....and of course the surfer If you want to turn quicker then move the fin up a bit.
skimmer2

Postby Murtle's magic board » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:54 pm

Thanks I will keep playing... :wink:
Murtle's magic board

Return to Learn to Surf