Second board progression

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Second board progression

Postby splOsh213 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:06 pm

Hey guys, i'm new-ish to surfing, I've had my NSP epoxy 7'6" funboard for a few years, but as I dont surf often (living in London -_-) i havent progressed quickly. I'm 15 and weigh a lot (85kg) and i'm looking to get a shorter board than what I've got, but i'm not sure what to look at. I want something that is as durable as the epoxy NSP, I dont want to blow the bank on a new board just to ding it on its first outing. My budget isnt huge, anything up to £300 would be ok, but i guess i could probably scrape together £400. I've had a look at the NSP fish and shortboard, a BIC shortboard, and the 7S superfish X2. The 7S sounds great, and i reckon i could get the money for it, but do you guys reckon i would be able to ride it? The bic and NSP i looked at because of their durability and they are a little cheaper... what do you guys think, could you give me a pointer in the right direction? Thanks :-)
splOsh213

Re: Second board progression

Postby roberdy » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:57 pm

run of the mill questions mate;

how tall are you?
How often do you actually surf? couple of times a year or every other weekend?
When you say surf can you catch waves, can you get on the green face do turns or just about get to your feet in the white water?

You are carrying a few kilos (don't worry, I am 100kgs and I ride a 6'4 but have been at it for a while) so you need to look for something with enough volume to float you and big enough to give the stability you need to progress. At this point you will probably have to compromise duck diving potential of the board a bit to get the other benefits you need to progress. That also means being honest with yourself about the conditions you are gonna ride the board in, you are probably not going to be surfing 6ft Fistral so if the board you get is better suited to smaller days when you can actually get out back with it then that will fit you ability better.

There are lots of good things to be said about magic carpets and eggs, I had a 6'10 egg, two small side fins and a big centre and that helped me progress a long way in one year, I am also 6'2 so the length is partly based on my height as well.

To be honest, for your second board, I would recommend that you buy something 2nd or 3rd hand that it will not matter when you ding it (cause you will I guarantee it!), it also gives you the chance to learn to repair your own dings, even if it is only with a bit of suncure, look at the for sale section on here, there are always good 2nd hand boards coming up that would suit you I expect.
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Poo Stance » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:59 am

You don't need a second board till you can do this on your foamie. :p
Poo Stance

Postby ATTMFKH » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:26 pm

:lol: Nice one .... saw Sam from C2C doing a fins first take off up at Farr Bay last year on an 8ft foamie on a shoulder high peeler ..... noooice 8)
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Return to Learn to Surf