The Next Step - 2nd board advice

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

The Next Step - 2nd board advice

Postby swellpapa » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:13 am

I've been surfing for 3 years now, a later starter I'm 41 and have made slow but steady progress and loved (nearly) every minute of it. I live a couple of minutes from my local break so manage to get out twice a week or so, sometimes a lot more if the fates (wind,swell, tides, lack of work etc) come together. It's generally a pretty ordinary break, short rides, lots of dumpers but fairly safe too. There's lots of better breaks close by which I've been tackling more often of late (when they're small enough!) I've been riding a 7' 2" NSP funboard (and a 7' 10" NSP in smaller stuff) and they've been fine but I've found the last 6 months I'm getting a bit frustrated with the 7" 2' ,especially out in the better more powerful breaks with steeper take offs. My paddling is pretty good now, positioning improving and I'm trying to make a bit more happen on the face other than just trimming along. I've tried a couple of 7S superfish but found whilst they were easy to catch waves with I didn't like the skatiness of them much. I tried an old McCoy Nugget 6" 10' and really enjoyed riding that, so easy to turn compared to my NSP but even easier to catch waves on and nearly possible to duck dive. Could anyone out there give me some suggestions for my next board? I think the custom Nugget is a bit out my range unfortunately but basically I'm looking for something a with a bit less length than my NSP but similar width and thickness ( 21' and 2 3/4'). I'm not very heavy, 71 kg with a 4:3wettie on, but being old and not particulary muscley something with paddle power is a must!
swellpapa

Re: The Next Step - 2nd board advice

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:29 pm

Try and find something like a 6'6 egg, will have loads of volume like a mini mal, be easy enough to paddle and allow a few more responsive turns, definitely more so than a bic mal.
Jim Birtwisle

Postby hobnob » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:00 pm

I have had a lot of boards and I would get a Nigel Semmens NS B52 7ft 0 - best hybrid board for a step down to shortboard & duck diveable with good technique... I still have mine and I love it (better than my minimal 7'6"), then go from there to a smaller one when you're ready.
Get a custom made one if you can afford it (costs pretty much the same new in a shop)... http://www.nsboards.co.uk/ns/B52_alt001.aspx

Hobnob.
hobnob

Postby Philshoz » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:00 am

Reading your post you answered your own question.

Try to find a secondhand Nugget, you obviously enjoyed it and will take you to the next level. Walk away from the NSP's.

I am loving the look of these.....http://store.magicseaweed.com/7S-COG-PE ... OG-PE-2012 Maybe a 6'9" would suit sir?
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby swellpapa » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:28 pm

thanks for the advice,all the board suggestions look really good. Philshoz,you might be right , i think i should be on the lookout for a nuggett, it was a lot of fun. the cogs look interesting too. anyone tried one of the firewire hybrids like a dominator or addvance? they look like a possible option too.
swellpapa

Postby surferireland » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:10 pm

I ride firewire but at your stage you would be spending more than you need, a good bigboy thruster would be the way to go, easy to duckdive and surf bigger steeper waves, o'shea do them brand new under £300 Ive used them on solid double over head here in ireland and they go fine, they are also fairly strong. Your local shaper will do a version also which would be where I would head if not the oshea.
surferireland

Postby flacky » Wed May 30, 2012 4:39 am

Quad fish. Fricking love mine! Tons of float, short therefore cool, can go late in steepness and glide on fatties. Pick one up in the for sale bit, mal nourished selling a beauty!
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby ATTMFKH » Wed May 30, 2012 12:59 pm

I'll sell you an excellent Jean-Pierre Stark Salomon S-Core 7'x 21 3/4" x 2 3/4" swallow tail big flyer plus bag for £220.

Micro ding on swallow done out water - fixed, no other dings, no deck compression
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Laurie_4surfing » Wed May 30, 2012 2:05 pm

It seems to be the perfect length to step down onto is 7'. I stepped down onto an O'shea 7' hybrid and 3 years on still loving it :-) can surf knee high to double overhead so very versatile. They do last too! There's a couple of 7' big boy thrusters/hybrids going on the for sale section right now.

Top tip: don't go too small, too soon
Laurie_4surfing

Return to Learn to Surf