First board (not the usual question)

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

First board (not the usual question)

Postby billy_wizz » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:01 pm

I'm looking to buy my first board i've spoken to a few people most sugest the ubiquitous 7'6" mini mal! But a chap at one shop said he could sell me a mini mal if I wanted one. But in his opinion I would be better with a 6'10" spider f bomb at 22-23" wide ( I cant remember which) as it will have a similar volume to the mini mal but be usable for a lot longer! Is this a valid opinion or is he taking the mick because I'm not local and there's a better mark up on the f bomb over the mini mal? I'm 5'6" and just under 13 stone in case that affects the board choice choice! Thanks
billy_wizz

Re: First board (not the usual question)

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:34 pm

I'm sure you could get both of those boards working for you. A 6'10 with plenty of volume can be just as user friendly as a mal. All down to personal preference I guess. A mini-mal is a great board to keep even if you progress down to shorter boards. I regret selling mine when I see the little summer ripples and I haven't been in the water for weeks!
Jim Birtwisle

Re: First board (not the usual question)

Postby surfstarmorocco.com » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:11 pm

Personally I would go for the mal. Again, depends on your preference but I would go for the mal as you have more to work with. Up to you though? I guess its better to purchase a mal then buy another board as you progress than going straight into purchasing a shortboard and quitting surfing...Wasting time and money if you dont enjoy it!
Good luck :-D
Join us at:
www.surfstarmorocco.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/surfmorocco
surfstarmorocco.com

Return to Learn to Surf