6ft board for first timer

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

6ft board for first timer

Postby beds83 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:09 am

hi all,

1st post so i am pretty clueless.

Looking at boards on my local ads site as want to go 2nd hand to start, try and do it inexpensively until i know i am willing to put the time in.

although its the wrong way to do it im looking at boards i could fit in my car with the back seats down!

there is a few 6ft boards for sale but would a 6ft board be unrealistic for me to learn on? dont want to find it impossible to pop up months down the line! im 5'8" and around 11stone.

i have seen some people on here that started on short boards but most tend to like the 8ft +?

cheers
beds83

Re: 6ft board for first timer

Postby Black » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:47 pm

Its impossible to learn surfing according to the dimensions of your vehicle - need I say this?
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby beds83 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:19 am

wouldnt say its impossible, more of a challenge maybe!

going to look at those soft roof racks, wouldnt mind those, cant be doing with a bulky metal roof rack
beds83

Postby Jasedrummer » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:35 am

Why don't you go and hire some boards and try them first......you will quickly see what is easier rather than potentially waste your money on a board you can't pop up on let alone paddle.
As for soft racks I tried them and ditched them after 1 attempt...apart from being loud whilst driving, having annoying straps inside the car, they didn't give me much confidence the board would stay on the roof on the motorway. Now using Thule roof bars......
Jasedrummer

Postby Paul C » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:21 am

I started late in life which made things more difficult and it took me a while before I could pop up and stay standing. I bought a 8ft Cortez (I am 5' 11'') and found that it was too light and wobbly and I wasn't getting anywhere so after a few months I bought a better upgrade one, 8ft 4ins and heavier and that was more stable in the water and in no time at all I could stand. Eventually I tried my old Cortez again and by that time I could stand on it but I still preferred my new one which I still use.
I have a soft rack and don't have any problems exept heavy rain when water leaks into the car as the straps are pulled tight on the door rubbers and as for the noise it can be reduced by twisting the straps.
Paul C

Postby beds83 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:39 pm

cheers for the responses guys,

i live on the isle of wight so the motorways are non-existence which is handy,

obv being on the island means there isnt many places to go to test boards either, will keep a look out and pop in the few shops we do have and see what they recommend
beds83

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:31 pm

You'd be surprised how long a board you can fit inside your car. I have a civic and I could easily fit my 7'4 in by reclining the passenger seat and putting it in the foot well. I could have put an 8ft board in there I reckon so don't think that you can only get a short board in, unless you do have a tiny car. As mentioned above, don't be limited by what you can get into your car.
Jim Birtwisle

Postby Black » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:35 pm

Jim Birtwisle wrote:You'd be surprised how long a board you can fit inside your car. I have a civic and I could easily fit my 7'4 in by reclining the passenger seat and putting it in the foot well. I could have put an 8ft board in there I reckon so don't think that you can only get a short board in, unless you do have a tiny car. As mentioned above, don't be limited by what you can get into your car.

I've got a Civic too, had 8, 7 & 6 foot boards in all at once.
Black

Postby beds83 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:54 am

Skoda Fabia, new style! i reckon ive got about 7 1/2ft's worth all reclined!
beds83

Postby jp246 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:44 am

I could fit a 9'1 longboard without fins in the back of a 3dr focus.
jp246

Postby sandygroyne » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:24 pm

Soft racks are the way to go if you fancy a mega-log! only problem is they piss water all over the seats of your car if it's raining. And don't let the price tag of thrule bars inspire confidence. I had 4 bikes fly off the roof of a mondeo with those buggers!!!

I think something overlooked when people decide what board to get is how used to being in the water in general you are....if you've been sponging for a while and can read the waves well or are really confident in the water getting on clean waves won't take you long in which case popping up and balancing...is there really any difference between a 9ft longboard or a 6'10 magic carpet?? I don't think so personally. However if you've never been in the waves before and want a good foundation what's wrong with getting an ex-hire swellboard for £50. You won't get frustrated with the balance, they paddle faster than a longboard anyway and you'll be catching waves which is the best way to learn.

SG XXX
Last edited by sandygroyne on Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sandygroyne

Postby beds83 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:00 pm

no excuses then! im gonna take the tape measure out tomorrow and see, there is someone selling an 8ft foam board for a just over a ton in my area, they said it got them standing and riding the line.

Although i would rather go for something that i could learn and keep for a while might be worth checking out
beds83

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:23 am

beds83 wrote:no excuses then! im gonna take the tape measure out tomorrow and see, there is someone selling an 8ft foam board for a just over a ton in my area, they said it got them standing and riding the line.

Although i would rather go for something that i could learn and keep for a while might be worth checking out

Do you have a local shop that rents foamies? If so just try those until you are up and riding every time. Once you can get to your feet on one in the whitewater then you'll probably want to look for something a bit more progressive (however 8ft is a good length).
Jim Birtwisle

Postby beds83 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:36 pm

there is only 1 local shop but they do not rent, but there is a company on the island that does do rentals just got to find out how much it costs etc, not sure what a resonable price is to hire a board for a few hours?
beds83

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:15 pm

beds83 wrote:there is only 1 local shop but they do not rent, but there is a company on the island that does do rentals just got to find out how much it costs etc, not sure what a resonable price is to hire a board for a few hours?

For board only? Think it was about £8 to £10 when I rented one from my shop about 2 years ago. That was for 3 hours but I was often gone all day without complaints.
Jim Birtwisle

Postby beds83 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:43 pm

£30 for 24 hours, might just see if i can get a bargain!
beds83

Postby ESTEEB » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:14 am

Foam boards get a bad rep from the seasoned guys, but they're AWESOME for learning on. Don't overlook em!
ESTEEB

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:38 pm

ESTEEB wrote:Foam boards get a bad rep from the seasoned guys, but they're AWESOME for learning on. Don't overlook em!

True that, I guess people learn at different speeds but personally I wouldn't buy one, just rent until you are looking to progress. You'll find you'll want to sell it on pretty soon so if you do want to buy one go second hand and don't pay a fortune.
Jim Birtwisle

Postby Poo Stance » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:43 pm

I'd much rather surf a foamie than an NSP or Bic. Foamies are a blast.
Poo Stance

Postby Steviesee » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:35 pm

It's not impossible. Back in the day I was given a bashed up 6 foot twinnie and persevered. Had it out in Thurso after a few months. I was 16 and keen as beans...
Steviesee

Postby kevhanson » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:22 pm

i get my 7 ft 2 mal in a mg zr and new style mini by reclinig the front seat and putting the nose in the foot well with room to spare
kevhanson

Postby pitmonkey » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:31 pm

get a 12 foot foam board to learn on, you can fold it in two and squeeze it into your car no problemo and it'll see you standing up on your first day, wavecount is phenomenal on those things too :blob4:
...time is timeless...
pitmonkey

Postby Black » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:13 pm

Steviesee wrote:It's not impossible. Back in the day I was given a bashed up 6 foot twinnie and persevered. Had it out in Thurso after a few months. I was 16 and keen as beans...

Yes its not impossible, I forgot what that's like it was so long ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:
Black

Return to Learn to Surf