the right board for me?

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

the right board for me?

Postby needsy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:51 am

I've started surfing recently in the last 2 months, been about 7 times so far and absolutely loving it, at every opportunity I'm in the water! I'm 5ft 10 and 11st. Does height and weight matter a great deal in board selection? My friend has lent me his 7ft fish to practice on and it seems very good, I even caught my first unbroken wave last week. I was wondering though if its the perfect board for me? Talking to different people I get different suggestions, some say to buy larger minimal 7ft 6" and one friend said to buy a 6ft 3" board which has lots of volume( I think that's what he said) are they both right?
needsy

Re: the right board for me?

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:47 pm

Yes, I imagine both those boards would work for you, although going down to a 6'3 with lots of volume would feel a little strange and perhaps challenging at first. If you're determined to keep surfing and learning there is no reason why it wouldn't end up being a good board for you. A mini mal of that size would also be a good buy. You'll continue to learn a lot and if you can find one at a good price then a mini-mal is always a good investment. I am the same height and weight as you and after a couple of years surfing I'm down to riding boards under 6ft, however I really wish I'd kept my 7'4 mal for those tiny summer days when I want to go slide around on a few ripples, so no harm in buying one. I always say this to a lot of people when they are starting but in my opinion I think you should steer clear of 'pop outs' ie Bic's and NSP's and go for something that is shaped.
Go and have a look at some boards and think about their overall volume relative to what you are riding now, rather than getting too hung up on their exact length. Volume is important as it will get you into waves earlier and easier (you'll still need to work on your paddle fitness though). Find something you think you would be comfortable with but remember that you need a bit of a challenge if you want to progress.
Jim Birtwisle

Postby flacky » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:38 pm

if you've caught unbroken waves then i think you've already answered your own question...
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby ESTEEB » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:06 am

I'm just starting out again too- about a month back at it after 15 years out of the water. After borrowing boards from buddies, I've found the short boards -- even thick ones -- are way too squirrelly for me still. Personally, I'm waiting until I'm super comfy on my longboard before transitioning. If the fish is working for you though, go with it.
ESTEEB

Postby needsy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:00 pm

Thanks for the input guys, hopefully I'm gonna try out my friends 6ft 3" board and see how I fair on it, if I had vast amounts of cash i think I'd buy a mini mal and a short board but times are hard lol. My heart says go with the mini mal right now. I've seen some mini mals by Roger Cooper on eBay, any of you guys had good experiences with his boards? Is there much difference with the material surf boards are made out of ? E.g. Expoxy boards and fibreglass, is there a preference?
needsy

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:56 pm

I prefer traditional foam/fiberglass over epoxy. That said I haven't surfed an epoxy but had a look at a few in the shops and just don't like the way they feel. Everyone is different though and entitled to opinion so it really just comes down to your preferece. Have a go on your mates 6'3 but if you're finding it a struggle then go for a mal. You'll defeinitely get some mileage out of one. Shortboards can wait for now so don't stress.
Jim Birtwisle

Postby flacky » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:20 pm

If you're learning I'd say ignore the trend of going for float and stay away from epoxy. They don't half bounce round, especially in any chop. Also they catch any wind easy, and may be a bit too light in the paddle. I'm not knocking them, I just feel they are better suited to accomplished surfers who are looking for a lightweight performance type of thang.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Return to Learn to Surf