Surfing New England

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Surfing New England

Postby haggiv » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:42 pm

Hi, I just moved to Boston not so long ago and I don't know much about surfing in New England (I did surf before I came here) so I figured maybe you can help me with some questions that I have:
1. What kind of surfboard should I get? I've never surfed in the East Coast before and I really don't know what surfboard will be the most useful around here (size.. type.. shape..?)
2. I don't really know any spots in New England so if anyone has a recommendation about spots in Massachusetts or Rhode Island it will be very helpful!
3. Anything else I should know?

Thank you very much I will really appreciate any help!
haggiv

Re: Surfing New England

Postby Tony_Flow » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:06 pm

I was surfing in New Hampshire last October at Hampton Beach and the Wall near Portsmouth and had a lot of fun. Its about an Hour North of you in a car

The waves are pretty inconsistent unfortunately but i had a lot of fun on my 6'2 fishie. Call into the lads in the Summer Sessions shop on Hampton Beach and they will help you out.

Winter is the time to get really going up there but slap on the 5 mil wettie and you'll be grand.

There are a couple of spots in Boston too....so i've heard.

Enjoy!

B
Tony_Flow

Postby Surfermo » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:43 pm

Aloha Haggiv,

If you want to score good waves in New England you have to be ready to drop anything you're doing and jump on the short window of waves we have here. Alot of times the waves are only decent for a few hours per week. If you get multiple days of good conditions you're really scoring it :)

Basically, for Northeast and East swells go to the wall around Hampton, NH. For anything from the south go to second beach in RI. There you'll find plenty other surfers to start asking about other spots nearby.

Tomorrow morning should be good in RI.

Cheers,
Mo
Surfermo

Postby haggiv » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:06 pm

Thank you very much for the help! I got only one more question: what kind of surfboard should I get for the conditions we have here in the Northeast? I went to a surf shop in Scituate and the guy told me that I should buy a longboard but a friend of mine that used to live in this area told that a shortboard or a fish will be just fine
haggiv

Postby Surfermo » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:52 pm

I'm surfing my shortboard all the time. Although with the tiny summer waves, I'm really thinking about getting a longboard.

Have fun!

Aloha,
Marco
Surfermo

Postby haggiv » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:48 pm

Thanks again for the help you guys really helped me!
haggiv

Postby haggiv » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:42 pm

I started looking for equipment and I already know pretty much everything that I need to know except one thing: The thickness of the wetsuit.
I'm looking for a wetsuit that will be good for the spring/fall of New England and that I will also be able to use in the north without freezing (such as New Hampshire and Southern Maine).

Thanks again!
haggiv

Postby Tony_Flow » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:47 pm

I used a 3x2 in october there last year in Hampton NH and it was fine but for the winter i'd be lookin at a 5x4 or 5x3

I like using the O'Neill Mutant, it did me all last winter here in Ireland and it was COOOLD here

B
Tony_Flow

Postby haggiv » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:23 pm

Yeah I was thinking between a 3x2 or a 5x4 but if you say that a 3x2 was fine in Hampton in october so I think it will do the work for me.

Thanks!
haggiv

Postby Surfermo » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:04 am

Hey Haggiv,

If you plan to surf during the Winter, or even just in November, I'd say you should go for the best 5/4 with an integrated hood that you can find. The water gets cold very quick and NH or Maine is absolutely freezing. You'll grow icicles just from the wind while sitting in the water...and no, I'm not kidding.

Have fun!

Aloha,
Marco
Surfermo

Postby haggiv » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:55 pm

So I've heard but for now I'm planning on surfing only in the Fall/Spring. When I'll start surfing here in the Winter I'll get a full hooded suit, I heard the water can drop to 32 degrees during this time!

Thanks anyway!
haggiv

Return to Learn to Surf