noob looking for a board :) but no long or beginners boards

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

noob looking for a board :) but no long or beginners boards

Postby land-rover-dale » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:51 pm

hi im new to this and would like to get surfing but don't know what size, width and thickness board to get i dont really want a long board or beginner boards i like jumping in the deep end I've done snowboarding and skate boarding and kind of get the gist on how to turn i have been told a 6ft 4 should do me good but id like to hear from more people :-D
land-rover-dale

Re: noob looking for a board :) but no long or beginners boa

Postby Poo Stance » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:40 am

Size, weight, dims?

You don't learn everything in surfing in one hit, you need to learn loads of different bits all at various times in your progress. Getting a nice sized board that is stable will help you be able to stand on the board and also catch waves easier. I wouldn't advise making learning to surf harder than it actually is by getting a small board too early. You'll just end up splashing around for years on end when you could have been up and riding sooner and learning at a faster rate. Unless of course you enjoy splashing around not surfing your uber cool too-shortboard.

I'd say try a few boards out before you buy. Get the one you're catching and riding most waves with. You can always change boards if your progressing quicker.
Poo Stance

Postby Jasedrummer » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:34 pm

Surfing is not really anything like snowboarding or skateboarding......for a start before you can ride a wave you need to first catch it and then pop up to a standing position. If you get something too short both of these will probably prove tricky......
Still if you are determined to get something short, don't get a shortboard, there are loads of other options like larger fish surfboard that hide their volume well....
Why don't you hire or get some lessons first to see how you get on?
Jasedrummer

Postby Bearded Gimp » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:43 am

You CAN learn on a smaller board, but you need to go in heaps so that you can quickly get used to the relative lack of stability. (Mini-mals didn't really exist in the '80s and nobody really rode a longboard either, so you just had to learn on whatever you could get your hands on. I learned on a 5'8 kneeboard, a mate had a 5'10 twinny and another mate had a 6'1 thruster.)

The advantage of starting on the size of board you intend to end up riding is that you don't have to keep adjusting when you drop down in size as you would have to if you started with a 7'6 or whatever. I say go for it. You can always get a minimal afterwards if learning on a shorter board goes tits up

As for a particular board size, think volume rather than length and possibly consider a surftech as you're going to be twatting it about a fair bit. 6'3 Al Merrick Biscuit? It's got 46 litres of volume (shitloads, in other words) and catches waves easily. Sounds perfect*

* Disclaimer: It might not be
Bearded Gimp

Postby land-rover-dale » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:51 am

Poo Stance wrote:Size, weight, dims?

You don't learn everything in surfing in one hit, you need to learn loads of different bits all at various times in your progress. Getting a nice sized board that is stable will help you be able to stand on the board and also catch waves easier. I wouldn't advise making learning to surf harder than it actually is by getting a small board too early. You'll just end up splashing around for years on end when you could have been up and riding sooner and learning at a faster rate. Unless of course you enjoy splashing around not surfing your uber cool too-shortboard.

I'd say try a few boards out before you buy. Get the one you're catching and riding most waves with. You can always change boards if your progressing quicker.

i am 6ft1 and 98 kilos
land-rover-dale

Return to Learn to Surf