Surf Scene in Falmouth...

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Surf Scene in Falmouth...

Postby IonaKathryn » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:32 pm

Hi, I'm moving from Wales to Falmouth in Sept..wondering on a scale of 1/10 how accesible the surf is? I have troubles on the motorway but determined to take my car! Thanks... :-)
IonaKathryn

Re: Surf Scene in Falmouth...

Postby roberdy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:40 pm

aint no motorways in Kernow moi love
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby IonaKathryn » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:57 pm

Getting there from baka beyond, inevitable to use the motorway...dont mean when im there :lol:
IonaKathryn

Postby sandygroyne » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:47 pm

Ello,

Well if you've got a massive swell from the south Gilly reef is walking distance from the town, but the north coast is only 14 miles or so away so easy peasy. only trouble is learning all the lanes!
sandygroyne

Postby helston90 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:52 pm

Well Falmouth itself is no surfing Mecca however you're in the right county.

Most reliable swell is north coast so for you from Gwithian area up to and Newquay/Watergate depending how far you want/ need to travel.

After that south coast for Praa and spots on the Lizard are nice although tend to be covey rather than open beaches.

Falmouth does go off occasionally but mainly in winter on v.large westerlies or some wind swell whips things up too.

As mentioned there are no motorways in Cornwall so you're fine- access wise is fine, loads of car parks, loads of variety, just a bit of distance!

I won't put a scale on it as some guys on here will do 4/5 hour road trips to North Devon and think that's fine- I get annoyed with 12 mile hike to northcoast or 5 to the south so it's all about perception.
Three most important things in life: Surf, surf and surf!
helston90

Postby Philshoz » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:04 pm

Go the scenic way avoiding motorways Iona, take your time and have a surf en-route....
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby IonaKathryn » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:06 pm

Thanks for the info! Philshoz that sounds like a cracking plan...no swell at the moment though boo hoo.....
!
IonaKathryn

Postby Leven » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:14 pm

Don't get too excited about Falmouth or Gylly (check your spelling sandy!)....it's like the flaming unicorn. When it does get a wave, there'll always be better waves elsewhere if you know where to look....

But yep, Cornwall is surrounded by the sea on 3 sides, so normally a wave somewhere, including some awesome set ups....there's a few waves around here that are as good as anywhere in the world I've surfed (maybe just not quite so long!).

Give me a shout if you want a guided tour! (Going to UCF by any chance?).
Leven

Postby IonaKathryn » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:01 pm

Hey thank for the info! I was going to but not anymore as I f@***@d up my application! ha
Happy surfing! :-D
IonaKathryn

Return to Learn to Surf