New Here :)

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

New Here :)

Postby Coop! » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:53 pm

alright?
just thought i'd do the right thing and introduce my self, my names cooper, im 21 and have a couple of questions for you guys :-D i have been surfing for a couple of years now using rentals NSP's, BICS etc i feel iv progressed a fair bit so decided its time to pull out the wallet, i have just purchased a 7'6 roger cooper mal, should i expect a major difference between this board and your typical rental, really cant wait to get it and get back in the water, but do you guys have any tips or hints for the transition of boards, im hoping to get a bit more speed and reaction from this board, couple of details about myself, im 5'11" and weigh just under 11 stone, average build ya know.
Any input appreciated, thanks alot!
Coop!

Re: New Here :)

Postby Jasedrummer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:22 pm

Hi...I went from a 7'6" NSP to a 7'6" Roger cooper a couple of years ago. The nsp caught waves and paddled really easily, ideal for a beginner. The downsides of it were it weighed a ton, which hurts when it hits you, was a bit too floaty on waves and had a tail pad that was so far back you didn't really use it, in fact it just made learning to pop up more tricky.
The Roger cooper is a little harder to paddle, but you soon get used to it. Once you are up and riding it is far better....
The fins are a lot better too than nsps own brand....
I'll never get rid of the rc either even though I'm now on a forth speed fish. The minmal is great for catching 1ft and smaller waves!
The other thing is the roger cooper has way more cred at the beach than an nsp....
Jasedrummer

Postby Coop! » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:24 am

Sweet, cheers for that, im planning on keeping the rc when I eventually progress too, from what iv read, every surfer should have a mal for the smaller summer days :)
Coop!

Postby matt_96 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:47 pm

yes, a mal will always come in handy no matter how good a surfer you are. As you get better the stability of the board will improve your turns and will allow you to extend your time you have on the wave as you get better at reading the wave!

hope this helps and good luck in progressing further! :D
matt_96

Postby Philshoz » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:46 am

Coop! wrote:alright?
just thought i'd do the right thing and introduce my self, my names cooper, im 21 and weigh just under 11 stone, average build ya know.!

Those were the days.............. :-(
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby Coop! » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:55 pm

matt_96 wrote:yes, a mal will always come in handy no matter how good a surfer you are. As you get better the stability of the board will improve your turns and will allow you to extend your time you have on the wave as you get better at reading the wave!

hope this helps and good luck in progressing further! :D

cheers man!
Coop!

Postby Coop! » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:57 pm

Philshoz wrote:
just thought i'd do the right thing and introduce my self, my names cooper, im 21 and weigh just under 11 stone, average build ya know.!

chin up dude, it'll be alright :cry: :-)
Coop!

Postby Philshoz » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:25 pm

Coop! wrote:
Philshoz wrote:

chin up dude, it'll be alright :cry: :-)

Will it? I'm twice your age plus 15................yikes :shock: :shock:
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Return to Learn to Surf