best way of getting kids surfing early doors

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

best way of getting kids surfing early doors

Postby danny1 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:41 am

what do you reckon? Beyond getting them swimming what else can be done

Here 's my attempt to make it fun for georgie who is a bit scared of the sea

http://yfrog.com/1nttorcxxtkhoghdbvbanftbz
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Re: best way of getting kids surfing early doors

Postby tehraab » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:48 pm

Ban TV/ Computers etc during daylight!
tehraab

Postby Chris F » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:32 pm

Get them used to the sea, not just water. Also they get cold very quicky so a wetsuit and boots are a good idea, and choose a clam sunny day. I've only taken Kyle out on a boogie board in small waves, just tow him out with the leash while he lies and grips the board and then give him a push so he just coasts in to shore. Thigh deep is usually plenty deep enough. Fortunately he loves the sea, water and swimming. I'm going to do some flat water paddling on my longboard with him if we actually get a sunny day, just going parallel to shore, but I think a buoyancy aid will be worthwhile to use then.

Then towards end of next winter it's on to skis!
Chris F

Postby ATTMFKH » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:32 pm

:lol: :lol: ^^ funny vid.

fed my youngest into a wave at Porthmeor on my Royal Noserider, he popped up quick as a flash stood up, turned round , gave me the thumbs up, I felt a tug at my knee, wee man pinged right off front .........DOH :lol:

swimming underwater helps, fannying around diving for stuff on the bottom, slow mo karate fights in the pool / underwater ......... As Chris says kids get cold sharpish in the sea
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Chris F » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:32 am

:lol: shame that fail wasn't on video!

Kyle goes from fine and happy one minute to blue lipped and shivering the next, so keep an eye on them at all times, and get them out and dry and warm if they are getting cold as if they are having fun they will never complain about the cold; he was swimming at Achmelvich in shorts in April when my feet were going numb.
Chris F

Postby joc » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:46 pm

patience, patience, patience:think its quite hard especially if youre a surfer: you wnt them to enjoy it and have fun, and when they don't or they want to get out after 5 minutes when youve spent half an hour squeezing them into the wetsuit and another half an hour trekking down the beach with the board, it can be hard: bit like teaching your child to drive. I also make sure I pick days when theres no surf for grown uips: otherwise ( I know this is really really bad) I spend most of the time looking out the back and wishing I was there.
What worked for me at the start was to enrol my daughter into our local surf school with a couple of her friends: other people's children are always easier to teach and within a few sessions she was loving it and asking me to take her out.
Its definitely worth it though: sitting out there chatting away with my son who can be a real kevin the teenager at home,: catching waves together: perfect.
joc

Postby surf » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:33 pm

totally agree! be patient, have a family surf holiday so they can see other people doing it and you! and then maybe theyll want to copy! www.surfstarmorocco.com is a good place, specially at this time of year before winter swell picks up, just went with my 2 year old and even though she is too young to get going, shes absorbing it all, fingers crossed shes the next champ! also the local moroccan kids rip!!
surf

Postby Chris F » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:02 am

Stop fucking spamming. We are not stupid.

search.php?author_id=43002&sr=posts
Chris F

Return to Learn to Surf