tips on doing a backside turn on slow small mushy waves

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

tips on doing a backside turn on slow small mushy waves

Postby tomas377 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:09 pm

im riding a 9'3 2+1 and each time im trying to turn its like i lean to much and it catches a rail and turns over but im still going relatively straight.

it also feels like im waiting too late to go for it so how can i get it down better to get into it or should i wait to get more speed.

also im used to going for it right beside when it starts dumping because of starting on a shortboard how should i change my paddling and timing now that i have a longboard

im riding in the western gulf if that helps with knowing what kinda waves im riding

im also 5'8 139lb
tomas377

Re: tips on doing a backside turn on slow small mushy waves

Postby errantsurf » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:02 am

Hey,

Try compress more on your back foot to start the turn, as you come out release the board by unweighting yourself using your arms and turning your upper body. You'll be diggin the rail because your either 1) front foot to far forward 2) too heavy on your feet while turning.

Hope that helps!
Errant Surf

Surfing Holidays - ATOL Bonded flights - Surf Charter Boats - Surf Schools
(+44) 020 8133 6438 | www.errantsurf.com |
errantsurf

Re: tips on doing a backside turn on slow small mushy waves

Postby surfstarmorocco.com » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:46 pm

You want to angle the board more when taking off; if you like late take offs then obviously wait a little bit but you have the advantage riding a longboard of paddling earlier and getting into the wave at an earlier stage, making life a little easier! Just make sure you angle the board; this isn't as vital if your catching them earlier. Hope this helps :-D

http://www.surfstarmorocco.com
Join us at:
www.surfstarmorocco.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/surfmorocco
surfstarmorocco.com

Return to Learn to Surf