Learning/Progressing

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Learning/Progressing

Postby S_Connor28 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:27 pm

Ok, I'm new here. Have started surfing, have a 8ft sunset foam board. Have been surfing it quite regularly in the past months, at least once or twice a week. I want to know what kind of board i should buy next. the foamie is ok but i feel it is very heavy and hard to get out back in a bit bigger days. Im about 5' 9" and around the 75kg mark. Have been on here and looking at other websites and guides on what is good to learn on. just looking for some advice from people that have went through the steps already. Have money to spend on a board but don't want to waste it. Want a board that I will be able to use now but that will let me progress. Have been looking at the Forth Chilli Beans and Black and White 7ft fish are these the right boards to be looking at or am i being too ambitious? Goal at the minute is to be surfing a 6' 4" JP shortboard in the not so far away future that I have at home after picking it up very cheap.

Any feedback at all would be very helpful, and examples of boards. Thanks.
S_Connor28

Re: Learning/Progressing

Postby cooter » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:44 pm

A little further info on how much you have progressed would be useful in making recommendations. For example:
- what proportion of the waves you are paddling for are you catching? Shorter boards initially mean fewer waves.
- are you getting up to your feet on every wave you catch? Smaller boards are less stable so you need to be consistently standing up and riding the waves on the big beast before stepping down.
- can you turn your current board? Smaller boards are a lot more response so need better control to surf.
- how fit are you? You need to be very fit to surf small boards.

For most I'd say you need to be able to catch 75%+ of the waves you are trying for and to be able to start turning the board before stepping down. Although a smaller board will be easier to paddle out on; but will be (a lot) harder to catch waves on once out the back.

Hope that helps.
cooter

Postby Kabazz » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:54 pm

A minimal or something similar around 7ft should do you well and allow you to progress.

http://www.wave-form.eu
Kabazz

Postby Rickyroughneck » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:05 pm

In this instance I wouldn't recommend a minimal. If your main criteria is getting out back, you will want something you can duckdive. With that in mind, try and get the largest board you can duckdive well. You are a different weight and build to me so I can't help you with dimensions, but try and get 20"+ in width for more stability. Try to aim for longer and thinner too, (as a pure punt something around 6'6" x 2 1/4") to give you the maximum size: float.
Rickyroughneck

Postby S_Connor28 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:38 pm

Thanks for the replies, went and talked to my local shaper and he shed some light on the whole thing. Ordered a board off him and should have it before xmas. Little present to myself. Hopefully all works out well. looking forward to getting the new board under my feet and get my surfing moving in the right direction. Thanks again for all the advice.
S_Connor28

Return to Learn to Surf