Shortboard Acceleration and pop up

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Shortboard Acceleration and pop up

Postby FIND » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:43 pm

Hey!

Just got my first shortboard and as i expected it's fairly hard to surf ahah only stood up a couple of times in an hour's session! I had a couple of problems. The catching waves wasnt too bad but...

- the pop up, although ive looked at endless videos and forum posts is there any tips of how to pop up really fast as thats what it seems you have to do with a shortboard otherwise your into the flats before you know it! Videos of good surfers seem like they take there time about popping up and are really relaxed?! any tips at all?!

- Also any time i caught a wave i seemed to accelerate so fast that i was still trying to stand up in the flats and then wiped out! should i just take off more at an angle to stop this?!

Thanks in advance!!

Kris
FIND

Re: Shortboard Acceleration and pop up

Postby Rickyroughneck » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:43 pm

It is hard on a shortboard, not least because your feet hang off the back so you cannot use them for a bit of extra spring.

My advice is to try as much as possible to pop up during the drop (the freefall). The amount of Gs your body experiences is reduced below 1 during the drop, so popping up is actually easier than on land. On the flats however, as your body decellerates the Gs are increased as you hit the bottom so it is a LOT harder. This is easier said than done, and will take a lot of practice if you are learning on a shortboard!

It is harder to paddle into waves at an angle, but if you can take off across the face a bit then that will give you more time to pop-up.

Aquire a larger board to learn on if you can, it will be a LOT easier and more fun too.
Rickyroughneck

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:44 pm

Work on your paddle fitness and power to get you into the waves easier. Whether to angle the take off really depends on the wave itself and what you see as you look down the line before popping up. If it's a steep wave that's going to run fast then yes angle the take off. If it's going to be a bit fat then go straighter toward the beach to get as much speed as possible before looking to get out into the open face. Experienced surfers do look like they take their time and are relaxed because they are able to get into the wave early and this depends largely on paddle speed and power. It also depends a lot on experience and just getting out there in different waves and going for it. Whatever you do make sure if you are going to paddle that you committ 100% to the wave and paddle as hard as you can. Better to wipe out and learn something on the way down than let it slide under you. Also practice your pop up at home, drill it on something where you have a reference point for your feet (a rug for example) until you do it without thinking or looking down to see where your feet are. Good luck, once you get going with short boards you will have a lot of fun.
Jim Birtwisle

Postby flacky » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:35 pm

Agree with the freefall thing, I surf mainly longboards, but over the last few months have gone onto shortboards of one variety or another, and the thing most noticable is how easy it is to get to your feet if you go late. Make the most of the power of the wave, don't look at your board, nailed on you'll be all over the place. There's really only one place your feet can go, so don't worry about it, just paddle, push the board down the face and your feet will follow along nicely. Keep your eyes down the line look like a pro and sooner or later it'll fall into place, in the meantime, enjoy getting rinsed a few times...
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Black » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:12 pm

OP - Four decades later you'll be asking exactly the same questions......... its a frustrating past-time.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Leven » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:11 pm

I wrecked my knee a while ago, and pretty much had forgotten how to stand up when I first started surfing again. I kept thinking things like "lift your front leg", and "get your front foot under your chest", but eventually just concentrated on lifting my arse off the board. By doing that, you create room for your front foot to come underneath you, and gravity will get your foot to the right place. Once your front foot is underneath you, your back foot should naturally fall into place too.
Leven

Return to Learn to Surf