Trying new reefs

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Trying new reefs

Postby Snarf5000 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:43 pm

I've only surfed over rock when I've been shown where to get in/out etc. and what to look for by other surfers. I've been living up in NE England a couple of years now and there are a lot of empty reefs up here. I've decided to start being more adventurous and trying them out. I figure I'll check them out at low tide to look for obvious big obstacles sticking up, plan where to get in/out, make sure my paddle fitness is right up and go out on days when it's not big (at first). Has anyone got any other tips for me??
Snarf5000

Re: Trying new reefs

Postby ATTMFKH » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:04 am

get a buddy to go with ..................... then go. Once you're happy and got the place dialled you'll be able to go out there on your own etc etc ..........land like a frog if you wipeout, if you end up in the deeps , cover yer napper.
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby surfstarmorocco.com » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:19 pm

Nice location! Yeah just try and chat to local surfers; google the place then type surfing after it haha
probably stuff your already doing but that's what I would do. Perhaps get an OS map so you get to know the coast a bit better....
Sounds good; adventurous + fun!
Hope you get some tasty waves! :-D
Join us at:
www.surfstarmorocco.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/surfmorocco
surfstarmorocco.com

Postby Snarf5000 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:20 pm

Thanks guys, Yes definitely planning on bringing a mate for new reefs. We'll probably take turns being first to have a go. Hopefully 2013 will bring lots of clean swell to the North Sea :-)
Snarf5000

Postby zboy » Tue May 07, 2013 11:20 am

a mans best friend "a gath " and if on your own, tell some one where you are going.
zboy

Postby flacky » Tue May 07, 2013 8:14 pm

Learn to fall shallow. Sounds stupid, but isn't.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby dermo909 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:16 am

Falling shallow? Obviously that means you don't plunge down to the depths after a wipeout?
I try to do this but for the sake of clarity can you explain? I'm just curious to see if I'm doing it right!

I've seen underwater footage of Mick Fanning wiping out and he put his arms out and spread his legs. He went under the whitewater but the wave passed on without him. Looked like a good technique.
dermo909

Postby ATTMFKH » Wed May 08, 2013 10:37 am

ATTMFKH wrote:get a buddy to go with ..................... then go. Once you're happy and got the place dialled you'll be able to go out there on your own etc etc ..........land like a frog if you wipeout, if you end up in the deeps , cover yer napper.
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Return to Learn to Surf