Noob Question

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Noob Question

Postby TonyB » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:00 pm

Hello,

This is gonna sound like the standard noob question, so here I go:-

Took a couple of lessons at Croyde last summer. They gave me a 10ft soft board which I found to be very easy - no problem catching waves, popping up and riding into the beach.

I have a 7ft2 mini mal, but am finding it very tricky to do the same thing as on the big softie. I can catch whitewater waves, generally pop up but balance is tricky and I've probably had one or two `rides' per session. I'm 13st and 5ft11. I'm wondering whether this board is a bit too short for a learner like me.

Or maybe I should just keep at it...?

Any opinions/suggestions?

Cheers,

Tony
TonyB

Re: Noob Question

Postby dermo909 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:00 pm

That board is probably a bit small for you right now. Riding a board thats too small means that you are delaying your progress a little bit. If you change to a longer board you'll get more waves per session.

More waves per session will mean you'll sort out all the other associated bits as well, like pop-up, balance, drive etc.
dermo909

Postby TonyB » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:26 pm

Cheers for the reply. So would I be better off with a longboard (9ft +) or a longer mini mal? Or would either be OK?
TonyB

Postby SST » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:49 pm

I'd say a longboard will get you up riding easier and longer, and that's what will make you improve and keep you smiling...

You could go shorter and lots of people have, but for me going from a 7'10 to a 9'4 made surfing a lot more enjoyable!
SST

Postby Jim Birtwisle » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:23 pm

Depends how often you get out as well and how determined you are. It will take a little longer to learn on a mini-mal than a long board but you will get there eventually if you stick at it and you're in the water at every opportunity. Make sure you have a decent wetsuit that fits you well and keeps you warm and comfortable in the water, this is where you want to spend your money initially.
Jim Birtwisle

Postby TonyB » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:03 pm

Gone for something a bit longer and a touch wider - 8ft Roger Cooper mini mal. Looking forward to taking it out.

Thanks to everyone who replied.
TonyB

Postby Rickyroughneck » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:10 am

TonyB wrote:Gone for something a bit longer and a touch wider - 8ft Roger Cooper mini mal. Looking forward to taking it out.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

That sounds perfect.
Rickyroughneck

Return to Learn to Surf