Tail pads

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Tail pads

Postby Pablo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:54 pm

I'm sure this question has been done to death but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for in the search bar.

Tail pads for beginners??

Good, bad, right, wrong?

Can someone give me the low down please. My thinking is to get one so I know that my back foot is going to the right place upon popping up?

I've seen people mention that this can lead to stalling but can this be countered by moving the front foot further forward?

Advice please.

I have a 7' 2" funboard/thruster.

Thank you!
Pablo

Re: Tail pads

Postby dermo909 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:55 am

Next time you are in the water put your board beside you and place your hands on the deck of the board(where your feet usually go) and try to move the board from side to side. Experiment with the placement of your hands to see where the board feels most maneuverable. Thats where your feet should be.
If your feet are in the wrong place then you wont be able to move the board as easily.

Thats what I was told anyway....
dermo909

Postby Dantastic » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:45 am

Interesting thread this. I bought a dakine one of eBay as it was going cheap with the intention of putting it on my 7ft 3 mini mal. My thoughts are to help with duck diving more than rear foot position.

Be interested in reading peoples responses to this....
Dantastic

Postby Leven » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:58 pm

If you put your back foot too far back, and then compensate by moving your front foot forward, you'll look ridiculous!

If you put a tail pad on, I'd put it as far back as it can go without covering the leash string etc. If you put it farther forward, you could end up with your back foot on top of the ridge, or behind it.

Concentrate on getting your front foot in the right place, and your back foot should become automatic....
Leven

Postby Pablo » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:01 am

Thanks for the advice!
Pablo

Postby CornishWave » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:25 am

Definitely get the heal of the tail pad centred right over your back fin.

Will eventually help with foot placement, duck diving and carving turns

Crack on
CornishWave

Postby Dantastic » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:32 pm

Guys how do you get all of the wax off? I think ive heard about using white spirits?

Also with regards to placing it over the rear fin, what happens if your leash is in the way?

Cheers,

One clueless beginner
Dantastic

Postby wigsy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:41 pm

Scrape off as much wax as you can, then drop a dry rag on the board, pour white spirit on, wipe over. Keep wiping over, press hard on the bits of wax that remain. Get a new clean cloth, and do the same. Then when clean, get yet another clean rag, and polish up, then leave to dry.

Also, most tail-pads will have a notch at the back (where the bump is) on the centre line, which is used as a guide, as the leash plug usually sits dead in the middle of most boards. Place the pad about an inch or two north of the leash plug, that's what I usually do.
wigsy

Postby Philshoz » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:01 pm

wigsy wrote:
Also, most tail-pads will have a notch at the back (where the bump is) on the centre line, which is used as a guide, as the leash plug usually sits dead in the middle of most boards. Place the pad about an inch or two north of the leash plug, that's what I usually do.

How will I know where North is?
http://philshorrock.blogspot.fr/
Philshoz

Postby Black » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:17 pm

Philshoz wrote:
wigsy wrote:

How will I know where North is?

To find North:
Take the bag the tailpad came in and place over your head, hold tight around the neck and as you lose consciousness you will find yourself falling in a northerly direction. Easy when you know how. :p
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby defever » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:19 pm

How to remove wax?

PICKLE is the BOMB.

You don't even have to scrape the wax (much easier if you do, but...): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USFUpZNIBq4

Aman-zing!
defever

Postby Dantastic » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:16 pm

Thanks for the info chaps. Just need to decide whether or not I am going to need/utilise a traction pad...
Dantastic

Return to Learn to Surf