Stick or twist?

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Stick or twist?

Postby Dantastic » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:18 pm

Hiya dudes,

Im after a bit / a lot of advice please regarding a traction pad on my board and boards in general.

Ive got a 7ft 3 mini mal which I picked up cheap. I would class myself as a half decent beginner (can catch green waves, trim occaisonally and can stand up easily on the white water) but I struggle to duck dive my board. I was under the impression that a traction pad would help as it would have the kicker bit on the back to push my back foot off when trying to sink the beast.

Alternatively I have been toying with the idea of going to a smaller but good volume size fish for easier duck diving, or the other way and getting a 7ft 6-8" mal again to try and improve my surfing and just deal with the fact that it aint gonna duck dive.

So basically I am asking if you think a traction pad would help with duck diving my current board and as far as a new board goes would I be better to hone myself on the current mal and go for a fat fish or get a bigger board to hopefully advance quicker?

Any advice much appreciated.

Dan
Dantastic

Re: Stick or twist?

Postby bakers » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:00 pm

I recently got my old 7'10" mal out and the first thing I noticed was how hard it was to duck dive! I can literally get the nose about 1 or 2 inches under water when I try, I dont think a tailpad will do much in way of helping you with duck diving. Best bet is to wait for a large gap between sets and when it goes flat jump on and paddle as hard and as fast as you can to get out back.
bakers

Postby defever » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:20 am

Have a look at this:

Duck diving a longboard

Not impossible but might need a practice? Forget the traction pad if you're only getting it for duck diving.

Good luck!
defever

Postby Dantastic » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:18 pm

Cheers Chaps,

After a long weekend in Rhossilli I think ill not bother with the deck grip. It can just about duck dive but my real issues are poor paddling stamina, not getting in the sea often enough and only being able to surf 2-3 ft waves. More gym/pool time I think.

Thanks

Dan
Dantastic

Postby bakers » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:16 pm

stick at it fella, arch your back when paddling to get more momentom and take long deep powerfull scoops.
fyi rhossilli + gennith are hard paddles, but youll be flying along in no time if you keep at it!
bakers

Return to Learn to Surf