what board? Fish?

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

what board? Fish?

Postby Tozer » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:41 pm

Hi, sorry usual question.I'm thinking fish but I don't want to be wrong again.

I've been surfing for a few years but I'm over 40, 13.5 stone 6ft1, I started with a 7'8 minimal got bored & wanted something to duck dive & turn faster, I also found myself either scared at the top of low tide steep drops or out in over head high feeling I had too big a board so I went for a 6"2' Skindog transformer this was too big a jump & I knackered just paddling it & my wave rate is pathetic. I know I should keep it & start running & doing pressups etc but I can't be arsed as 40+ & looking for fun, not a grom loooking to impress.

Missing paddle power I now have a lovely 9'1 log, but I still want something I can flick about & can play over head high, hence I was thinking volume for paddle & manouver = Fish & if so what make / size in Cornwall. Perranporth, Crantock, Fis, the wedge...

Thanks in advance
Tozer

Re: what board? Fish?

Postby Black » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:18 pm

All thats happened is you've dropped too much size in one go so try something in between, doesn't have to be a fish. A twin trad fish won't really inspire confidence on the steep drops either. If you're going for something unfamiliar make sure you try before you buy.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Tozer » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:00 pm

Hi Black, thanks for your input & I'm remembering that once the sun comes back in the evenings, I get fitter, which is why I got the 6'2 even though I knew it was a challenge.
That said I seem to find half the problem is being able to play with stuff to find out what suits you, I see your local to me, do you know where I may be able to try before buy?
Tozer

Postby Black » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:35 pm

Winter is a real killer for the cold & extra blubber, it makes boards shrink to 2/3 their size! That Transformer should be a good paddler I think but probs a bit small.
I don't know anywhere exactly to try (don't buy many new boards) but they don't advertise mostly you just go in and ask, there's usually a board in use knocking around you can try, especially if its a new design. I've got some you are welcome to borrow but not sure if they would help you. Probably the closest useful ones are my 6'2" incut fish and a 6'10" minimal. Hope that helps.
Black

Postby Tozer » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:44 am

PM sent I think
Tozer

Postby Black » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:05 pm

Erm no?
Black

Return to Learn to Surf