Returning to surfing, slight anxiety

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Returning to surfing, slight anxiety

Postby 0lly » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:46 am

As a kid i surfed a long board, and eventually moved onto a shortboard. Well at age 11 or so i had a wipe out and was nearly blinded in my right eye when the nose hit my face. I never truly got over the fear, so when i grew out of my surfboard i got a boadyboard and began boog with my buds who mainly rode shorebreak. Still, i never got that into it and always had the lingering fear. Well as of recent i have been craving to surf again, and my buddy offered up a 6'2" shortboard that he had. Im about 6'1" and a 150lbs so i figured that i can relearn on this board until im committed enough to buy something that fits me better. Now i have a reason to surf, but whenever i am given to chance to go out and practice by myself, i have no motivation. I then get hit up by my buddies who are going out tomorrow morning since a swell is hitting and i just feel extremely uncomfortable even going out to bodyboard. I dont feel ready to get thrown on a big wave, yet i cant find the motivation to go out and learn to surf mainly because im unsure if ill be able to learn on the board i have.
0lly

Re: Returning to surfing, slight anxiety

Postby dermo909 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:50 pm

Maybe you should go for a lesson with a good coach. They'll hopefully ease your mind and get your confidence up.
dermo909

Re: Returning to surfing, slight anxiety

Postby swiggy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:39 pm

Cut the pointy end off your board and reglass it rounded? You won't notice the difference when riding it :dontknow:
swiggy

Return to Learn to Surf