worst surfer? (noob post!)

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

worst surfer? (noob post!)

Postby animal » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:52 am

Hi all, a little about me:
I am the worst kind of surfer. I hired a foamie on holiday many years ago, got stuck in and shockingly stood up within half hour or so. From then on I thought I was headed for the ASP! :lol: however that was nearly 10 years ago and I didn't pick up a board again till 3 years back when away for a weekend with friends. I had totally forgotten that surfing isn't about hoodies, flip flops and beads but about the thrill and excitement of being in sea. Hearing the ASP calling again I rather foolishly bought a 6'7 bić off eBay and got cracking. I got on ok but had a beginners lesson on fistral one year to stop bad habits before they set in. (Never knew at the time but the instructor was jonny fryer, a few might know him) anyway I fell in love with the thrill and excitment all over again and tried to go as often as I could afford, which when you live in the west mids is sometimes easier said than done!

The reason for my post is about fitness. Can anyone give me any surf focused exercises I can do at home or the gym that will help me with core, paddling and stamina?

I also know that my back isn't good from years of slouching, terrible posture and down right teenage laziness! What can I do to ease this? Some days the muscles in the mid-lower are rock hard and at worst spasm.

Any help or advice would be great.
Marc
animal

Re: worst surfer? (noob post!)

Postby wigsy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:01 am

Swimming with one of those pull buoys between your legs.

Press ups, burpees, pullups etc...
wigsy

Postby animal » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:06 am

Thanks, what's Burpees?
animal

Postby Leven » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:07 pm

Have a search of the forum, there's a bit on this, including some bits about gym exercises too. Think it's on the first page of the general forum.

But anything that increases upper body strength (push up, plyometrics, etc), anything that increase score strength (plank, wobble board/gym ball exercises etc), and anything that improves balance and flexibility (yoga, pilates etc.)
Leven

Postby animal » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:01 pm

Many thanks looks like a got a bit of reading as well fitness to do!
animal

Postby Rickyroughneck » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:06 pm

The best exercise is surfing
Rickyroughneck

Postby dermo909 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:16 am

Apart from surfing more, I've found that running really helped my paddling. I used to get out of breath paddling but now I never ever get out of breath. Strengthening up arms/back is another story!
dermo909

Postby Supafly » Sat May 04, 2013 6:45 pm

Rickyroughneck wrote:The best exercise is surfing

That's all I do to condition myself for surfing - I'm 49. Take it slow at first. Small waves because your arms will feel like weights after a little paddling, but it will come back to you. Just go surf. Why bother with all the other shite?
That Rabbit stole the Space Modulator.
Supafly

Postby animal » Mon May 06, 2013 3:58 pm

If I could surf every other day I would. Unfortunately I live in the midlands and so the nearest good beaches are at least a 3 hr drive.
animal

Postby Dantastic » Mon May 06, 2013 9:38 pm

Hi dude.

As a Midlands based surfer I know your pain. Ive also been trying to keep "surfing" fit. Ive found that a good bit of cardio is useful, loads of pop up practice on the floor and sit ups and press ups help.

The bit I struggle with has been the paddling fitness and from the advice given I need to spend more time in the pool and improve my technique.

As said above though the best thing is surfing. However if you are like me and want to keep your eye in ive been doing all sorts!

Where are you based?

Dan
Dantastic

Postby Philshoz » Tue May 07, 2013 5:33 am

To replicate the paddling I made some of these with a LONG length of bungee cord, chopped down, loops for the hands, fasten it to door handle and paddle your little heart out (watching surf vid at same time optional)

http://store.magicseaweed.com/Power-Stroke-Bungee-Cord/Item/3183/
http://philshorrock.blogspot.fr/
Philshoz

Postby future primitive » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:00 pm

if you are a member of a gym,try Turkish stand ups with a kettle bell great core work,lat pull downs and reverse fly press,you need the cardio for paddle out and length of session,strength for wave catching
future primitive

Return to Learn to Surf