For anyone out there who needs some tips

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

For anyone out there who needs some tips

Postby geosurfxsnow » Thu May 23, 2013 8:26 am

Hi Guys,

For anyone out there who needs some pointers or help with all things surf, give me a shout. I have a surf school and have been surfing for the last 26 years.
Have a good one.

Gareth,

www.geosurfxsnow.com
geosurfxsnow

Re: For anyone out there who needs some tips

Postby cfh » Thu May 23, 2013 7:02 pm

Hi Geo,
I'm riding a shortboard , so i cant use my toes to pop up. So i set my backleg out and then i stand up.
As a result my foot positionting isnt good! When i train my pop up on land i use my toes(videotapped it).
So confusion a the story sounds, the question is how to unlearn the bad habit and how to pop up not using the toes.

thanks for the help
cfh

Postby geosurfxsnow » Fri May 24, 2013 9:32 am

Hi Cfh,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I think I get the jist of your problems and how to solve them. Have you just made the transition to a shortboard?

There are 2 things that I think will help you and get you up in the right position and take the focus off of your toes during the pop up.

1. Start doing a few burpees ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2cPYR0lRUE just in case) every day which should build the explosiveness and power needed to get your arms and upper body to carry your lower body up and through to you standing position. You should and will get to the point where the action comes without. Remember during the pop-up you are using your arms, upper-body to bring your legs into position in almost one fluid movement. This will take the emphasis of using your toes away. I hope this sorts that problem out.

2. For the foot positioning problem, when I am trying to lock down the right position for my feet on a board, I take off all the wax off my board and depending if I have a traction pad or not, put only a small strip of wax in the exact places both feet should be and then just go surfing to dial it in, if I don't get it right I wipe-out (safely of course).

You should try this method before each surf on land first to get the feeling in your feet for landing on the wax (or not if you don't land on it), then get in the water. Just remember when you are wiping out to cover your head with both hands and roll back if you can.

Please let me know how it goes and if I answered your question properly, if you need any more help give me a shout.

Have a good one and I hope there's a bit of swell out there this weekend for you to practice.

Gareth

www.geosurfxsnow.com
geosurfxsnow

Postby FIND » Sun May 26, 2013 4:55 pm

Hey man!

Similar to the person above me to be honest, well shortboard question, just got a 6'4" fish which is great once i get up BUT getting up is proving very very difficult. I have to contrasting approaches a lot of people have been saying.

1. Use your knees to do what you would usually do with your toes on a long board, use them to get your back part of your body in the air and bring legs underneath, i can do this on land, i practice at home quite a bit going through the motions, and its gets me up but feels like it would unsettle the board A LOT, and feels very 'heavy'.

2. The other way people have been saying is the right way is to simply launch your upper body upwards and by brute force create space and then drag your legs underneath which would seem to be smoother but a lot harder to actually do?

How do you teach pop up on shortish boards any advice would be a great help!!

Thanks
FIND

Return to Learn to Surf