Shortboard pop-up, which way?

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Shortboard pop-up, which way?

Postby FIND » Sun May 26, 2013 4:59 pm

Hey everyone

Another shortboard pop up post i know but just got a 6'4" fish which is great once i get up BUT getting up is proving very very difficult. I have asked quite a few people and there seems to be two approaches to popping up, i cant work out if there is a better way, which one etc?!?

1. First view ive been getting is to use your knees to do what you would usually do with your toes on a long board, use them to get your back part of your body in the air and bring legs underneath, i can do this on land, i practice at home quite a bit going through the motions, and its gets me up but feels like it would unsettle the board A LOT, and feels very 'heavy' when landing with feet on the board

2. The other way people have been saying is the right way is to simply launch your upper body upwards and by brute force create space and then bring your legs underneath which would seem to be smoother but a lot harder to actually do?

Ive watched endless slow motions of pro surfers and just cant see whether they really use their knees to pop up and spring up?? Their upper body seems so smooth and motionless whilst their legs slide effortlessly into place!! Any advice/ clear up on which approach to most people use would be great,

thanks in advance!!

Thanks
FIND

Re: Shortboard pop-up, which way?

Postby Rickyroughneck » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:52 pm

Yes use your knees, it is a spring starting with the upper torso and ending at the knee (or foot if you have the luxury) that pops you up.
Rickyroughneck

Re: Shortboard pop-up, which way?

Postby Leven » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:32 pm

For me, it's the second one. The aim of the push up part of a pop up is to lift your body off the board to create enough space so your legs can swing through underneath. That's why your hands need to be down near your hips to lift your hips and torso.
Leven

Return to Learn to Surf