first shortboard

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

first shortboard

Postby conjohn » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:21 pm

Hey guys. I need a little help with my first shortboard purchase. I have asked the guys at my local shops and a few of my friends but no one is giving me the answers I want. I just started surfing regularly this summer. I learned to surf on a 7'2 fish. I'm only 5'11 and weigh 145 lbs and I feel like I'm ready to make the jump to something much smaller. I live about 2 hours from the beach in South Carolina which works out because the waves are usually crap so I skate pools all week and surf on the weekends when it's good. I love skating pools and I want a board that will allow me to maneuver the way I can with my skateboard. With that said I know I'm still a novice kook, but I think I'm ready for the shortboard jump.

So, with that said I've been doing some serious research. Here are the boards I've narrowed it down to.
5'10 weirdo ripper- demo'd at the CI demo on folly a few weeks ago and I liked it. Heard it may be CI's truly versatile hp shortboard. At the same time I feel like I want a squash tail and a little more volume.
5'9 neckbeard- I love this shape, but I've never ridden it. I feel like it would excel in the mushy southeastern surf. But I've heard it needs a little more of a wave to perform well.
5'10 lost rocket v2- know nothing about this one. looks sexy tho.
5'10 surf prescriptions new buddy- any buddy ride one of these? I think they look awesome and they aren't as expensive as the lost of CI boards.

If any of y'all have some advice it would be GREATLY appreciated. A typical weekend at my favorite beach is 1-3 ft with 9 sec swell period and shitty winds (extra sloooppyyyy)
conjohn

Re: first shortboard

Postby conjohn » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:21 pm

thanks for the help... gettin a NF
conjohn

Postby Dantastic » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:40 pm

Hey up dude.

Have you ridden any of see boards? I'm in a very similar position. I ride a 7ft4 minimal live 2 hours from the beach and get similar waves. I'd been trimming unbroken waves and trying to do a few turns. Thought I'm ready for a shorter board. I managed to borrow a 6ft 6 7s fish and a 6ft 8 egg. Found the 6'6 really skirts and struggled like billyo to stand on it let alone catch waves. Managed ok on the 6'8 but still very glad to get back on my mal.

Since then I bought a similar egg and do enjoy it but if I'm honest not ready for it. If you have the $ I would buy a shorter board but make sure you take the bigger one. I was my local break in 3ft clean offshore surf. Was on the shorter board and caught bout 3 good waves in 2 hours. Swapped for my mal and had the best hours surfing of my life. I've just got back from Cornwall and did my first real carves on a wave, on my mal.

Moral of the story is try one. I don't know your level but that sounds a huge drop in board size to me.

Dan
Dantastic

Postby ATTMFKH » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:15 am

drop 1" in size for every year you've been surfing ........................ next

seriously #1 mistake IMO is going too short too soon .......... forget all the rippers in mags & youtube etc and remember what you're in the water for ............ catching waves & having fun.

the best surfer for me is the guy with the biggest grin
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Leven » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:42 am

Funnily enough, over the last 3 or 4 years, I've gone bigger, wider, and longer! Fed up of surfing toothpicks, where you have to be bang on the peak, under the lip to take off, and got a couple of slightly longer, wider and a touch thicker boards. Nothing major, like 2 inches longer, an inch thicker, and 1/4 inch thicker. You wouldn't believe the difference it makes! Wave count has gone through the roof, and I'm permanently smiling in the water, not frustrated!
Leven

Postby conjohn » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:33 am

thanks for the replies guys! I ended up getting a 5 10 weirdo ripper. It was the same board I demo'd at the CI demo a couple of months ago. I liked it then and I've had a good bit of sessions in between then so I'm ready for something smaller. As for dropping an inch every year, I don't know about all that. I feel like if I'm ever going to be able to fly through sections and make snap turns now is the time for me. I'll let y'all know if I absolutely hate it. Supposed to have some fun waves this weekend!
conjohn

Return to Learn to Surf