Help with pop-up please - newbie

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Help with pop-up please - newbie

Postby sb_cali » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:40 pm

Hi all…
I just need some advice. I am 48, female and just tried surfing for the first time in December. I live in southern California, on the coast, so waves are plentiful.
I have taken a few lessons from a local surf shop and have been able to catch a few small waves. I love it!!! But my problem comes with my pop-up and the conflicting advice I’ve gotten from the surf guys. My pop-ups suck. (I’m a little slow moving and need to work on my flexibility more)
These instructors from the surf shop are competitive surfers and well known in the community… so I know they’re not just full of it.
I am learning on a soft top 9’ foam board.
One guy is telling me (insisting) to go to my knees, then stand up.
The other guy is saying, go ahead and pop up from your toes and, even though you’re too far back on the board, you can shuffle forward.
I hate going to my knees… sometimes my toe gets stuck and I end up riding the entire wave on my knees.
I am enjoying the process, and don’t have a strong ambition to be an aggressive surfer, I just love the waves.
Does it matter which method of pop-up I choose? I’ve also be playing around with the aussie sprint version when practicing on the floor at home.
Any help would be appreciated!! Thank you!!
sb_cali

Re: Help with pop-up please - newbie

Postby ATTMFKH » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:10 am

don't use your knees
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Black » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:20 am

No knees, unless you have a physical reason why you need to use them. Practice at home should help get the muscles and balance tuned. Most of all carry on enjoying it!
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Philshoz » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:33 am

Prince William doesn't use his knees, just saying.
Philshoz

Postby Chris F » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:43 am

No knees if you can possibly avoid it. I have some friends who learned using knees and it's a dead end habit to get into that's hard to break, especially the guy who gets to his knees, gets his hands up and then stands up. I struggle to do this, even on flat ground. best advice I got was throw your ass in the air, then let the rest of your body follow it.

Practicing at home really hels, not just for the technique but developing the required muscles.

Some great tips here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SurfSimplyVideos
Chris F

Postby sb_cali » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:53 pm

Thanks... I am avoiding my knees as much as possible. I will jut keep practicing as much as I can! :-)
sb_cali

Postby ollypop » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:41 am

Hi newbie,

Popping up is always a bit of a tricky one when starting out and as a former instructor I confess to teaching the knees up method as well as the pop-up method (which we do to give people a greater chance of standing up in their lesson). But, as you're clearly keen to continue your surfing and improve, the pop-up is essential. As others have said here, practice at home so that next time you spend less time in the water and more time standing up on your board.

Check out my video here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcoaKJi28yo - which gives you tips on popping up using your upper body strength and springing from the toes. As you'll see, I'm using an Ollypop surf towel for hand and foot guidance - getting your hands and feet in the right place is essential for a successful pop-up. They are my invention so I would recommend them but no hard sell here!

Good luck!

Olly
http://www.ollypopsurf.com
ollypop

Postby Leven » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:52 pm

Take the fins out of your board, put some pillows on the floor, and put your board on top of the pillows. Now pop up. Do this 20 times a day, and you'll have it nailed in no time.

(In case you're wondering, the pillows mimic water better than a solid floor).
Leven

Postby sam waterman » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:02 pm

sam waterman

Postby All I do Is Surf » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:16 pm

Hey Just through I would add another link this one to a blog page, pretty good has an instructional video and pictures of step by step of all the different pop ups http://www.sbsboards.com/pop-surfboard/
All I do Is Surf

Postby usedtobe69 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:40 pm

more sbs surf spam, fuck off.
usedtobe69

Postby Black » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:24 pm

^^^ Ditto

And dragging up old threads where the OP clearly hasn't been online for 18 months or so.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby usedtobe69 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:07 pm

Black wrote:^^^ Ditto

And dragging up old threads where the OP clearly hasn't been online for 18 months or so.

innit.
usedtobe69

Postby uytrfjgf » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:40 pm

a great way to learn to pop up is putting a line of duct tape on the floor. This mimics the centre of your board. Lay down with the line through the centre of your body and literally pop up, ensuring your feet land on the line every time. Once you've mastered that, then you'll be able to do it every time on the board.

Hassle free method which doesn't take a minute to practice :) good luck!
everything happens for no reason
uytrfjgf

Postby Malibulongboards » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:34 pm

I think there are 44 surfers on the pro tour. 43 get up almost the same way. There is usually one dude who is totally unconventional but he is still pro. It is not how you pop up as much as what you do after that part. After teaching for 15 years the most common issue I found was some not using the hands all the way until your feet are solid on deck. Use those hands like you are getting up off the floor. You would not let go and fall on the land, samething with the Pop Up.
Good Luck!
Matt
Malibulongboards

Return to Learn to Surf