Bootees

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Bootees

Postby Kenny » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:25 pm

A fantastic week of surf here only marred by my decision last Tuesday to start wearing boots. Since then I've been performing some kind of involuntary (clearly) forward roll on pop up to my feet, swiftly followed by an inevitable fall. I would imagine that my leading foot is catching on the deck before it is in position and the extra grip provided by the rubber on the toe stops it sliding into place and it is game over. Decades ago wetsuit boots were nothing more than neoprene socks with a rubber soul. Now with these overpriced, over-engineered offerings I may have to give up until June. Anyone else experienced this?
Kenny

Re: Bootees

Postby Tomdiddlybomb » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:09 pm

they're too big or too bulky like diving boots, go for some thin supple ones actually designed for surfing.
mine are like you described, a sock with a thin rubber sole
or you could give up and leave some waves for people willing to spend 30 quid in order to do what they love :roll:
properly fitting boots will make your feet like a centimetre longer at the front max, that's nothing you can't deal with
Tomdiddlybomb

Postby Leven » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:12 pm

Pretty much what Tom said....

Get a bit fitter/more flexible? Your foot shouldn't slide into place....

7mm boots are....well, 7mm, so they do make a difference, but nothing insurmountable. And I've never heard of anyone surfing in more than 7mm....

Alternatively, yes, give up surfing until June. One less in the line up won't hurt....
Leven

Postby ATTMFKH » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:33 pm

angle your shoulders when you pop-up, leave some room for the front foot to swing through .....

I average 1 summersault off the front every 2 surfs :lol: :lol:
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Chris F » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:25 am

Choices;

1) Frozen Feet
2) Wait til June
3) Get used to it?

I find my feed grip a bit more with boots on, but you just have to modify your technique slighlty. I just wear boots all year round now anyway.

As the wise man Matt Johnson once said "If you can't change your world, change yourself"
Chris F

Postby Black » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:58 am

I hardly wax my board during boot time for this very reason. You hardly need any wax at all for boots to grip so if you have plenty on you may want to scrape some off to stop your sticky foot.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Kenny » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:26 am

20141202_110337.jpg
20141202_110337.jpg (153.34 KiB) Viewed 2102 times

Well the chap in the shop assured me that they were neoprene (and rather comfy too).

Some mighty fine points there on which to ponder. Less wax/flexibility/technique all have some resonance, especially the wax.Thanks for those tips. I shall unleash the scraping tool. Of course there is also the distinctly hardcore solution of removal of my big toe.

Not entirely sure about the quitting until June. The removal of myself from the lineup would mean the other person had no-one to talk to.
Kenny

Postby ATTMFKH » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:37 pm

^ 2 in the line-up , must be West Wales :wink:
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby yes-surf » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:06 pm

I saw the picture you posted Kenny, and I love the style ;)

I think they should be sold on the French market, especially in the south of France.

Could you tell me the official price ;)

I will then especially add a new bootees section on our site
yes-surf

Postby briggfoot » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:19 pm

Kenny wrote:
20141202_110337.jpg

Well the chap in the shop assured me that they were neoprene (and rather comfy too).

Some mighty fine points there on which to ponder. Less wax/flexibility/technique all have some resonance, especially the wax.Thanks for those tips. I shall unleash the scraping tool. Of course there is also the distinctly hardcore solution of removal of my big toe.

Not entirely sure about the quitting until June. The removal of myself from the lineup would mean the other person had no-one to talk to.

I do hope you stick around this forum Kenny! :lol: :lol: :-D
briggfoot

Postby Chris F » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:10 am

His last post was a year ago, don't count on it.
Chris F

Return to Learn to Surf