What to expect from my first board and turning!

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

What to expect from my first board and turning!

Postby splint51 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:39 pm

Hi!

I've been using this board for a bit

The California Board Company Classic 108 9ft soft deck longboard surfboard
Construction - High Density Durable IXPE/XPE Deck with wood stringers and High Density Polyethylene Slick Bottom
Dimensions - 9ft x 23.5 x 4

it takes me two hours to drive to my nearest break and I make my trips whenever I can, usually once a month.
I can 'pop up' with a decent amount of success, usually in the white water after the break!
As my time in the water is pretty low, I want to get the most out of my surfing time.

So I've got a couple of questions...

Firstly - I've been thinking about getting a 8ft board (resin) custom built for me, so what differences would it bring to me?
Specifically I'm thinking about turns as this is my next skill to master. The CBC board is really heavy and chunky, which
I assume is for the float in the board, I'm wondering whether a resin board would lighter and more responsive helping
me master turning quicker! I suppose I'm asking id the CBC a fun board just for mucking about with or should I be able to progress with it

Secondly - any advice on turning, all I seem to do is put my weight on the toes and the board just kind off rolls and buries
it's rail in the surf and then it becomes a balancing act rather that a turning act!

Many thanks for any responses!
splint51

Re: What to expect from my first board and turning!

Postby splint51 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:34 am

Ok, loads of lookers but no takers!

Here's another question then, because I'm so land locked would getting a skateboard
help me at all in the down time! we've got a skate park near us and a few long drags
that I could use.

My reluctance is I'm 44 and 14 and half stone and have two kids - probably look like a total tw@t.
I'm up for it though if it will help my surfing progress.

Thanks!
splint51

Postby Leven » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:03 pm

Right, don't get a new board yet. You'll probably waste your money and just get frustrated.

Until you can get out the back (maybe on a small day, as that is a big board you've got), pop up properly, and catch an unbroken wave (and ideally go either left or right), you don't need anything else.

The biggest mistake most people learning make is to go too small, too soon.

A fibreglass & foam custom board will be a LOT less forgiving, harder to paddle, and less stable than what you've got, so get a few more sessions in on your foamie first.

When you do get a custom board, maybe consider getting a longboard instead of a mid-length/minimal. No offence, but at 44 and 15 stone (including your wetsuit), i's unlikely you're going to turn into a shortboard ripper, so why make it harder for yourself? Pick up a decent condition second hand longboard in the 9 1/2 ft range, and see how you like it. If you then decide you want to go smaller, you'll be able to sell it for what you paid for it.

Yep, skating will help with balance. Any multi storey car park with ramps is ideal, but wait until the car park is closed....Also, do some push ups, and practice your pop up on the living room floor. You'll look like an idiot, but you'll be amazed how quickly you'll build muscle memory. If you're really serious about surfing, hit your local pool too. Lots of lengths, varying from flat out to a leisurely pace. If water's gonna be your element, you've got to be good in it!
Leven

Postby Black » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:46 pm

In addition to the above I would say next time you go surfing hire a longboard for the day, for a small sum. Along with your soft top you can get a good comparison of the two and make some conclusions of what you really want.

Also you will be slow to improve going once a month and at some point will reach a plateau so keep enjoying it without expecting too much then the gains will be that much more appreciated.

PS: Turn from the back of the board.

Good luck!
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby JayP » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:07 pm

All great advice . I second all the above. Rent a custom board if you like but stick to the foamy is my advice. Don't worry about turning - it's over rated anyway ! :lol: Have fun!
JayP

Postby splint51 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:55 pm

First of all many thanks to Leven, Black and JayP - much appreciated!

Bottom line is I agree with everything you've said, just good to get it confirmed really.

Luckily I am quite comfortable in the water as I do open water swimming and usually take place in 4km events.
But I definitely need to do some press up and get the pop up going with regards to the muscle memory actions.

Think I'll definitely knock getting a fibreglass board on the head, but might look into getting as second hand skateboard
just to keep the balance thing going while landlocked.

I know that there is no way I'm going to be surfing on a shortboard doing all the aggressive turns that's not what I'm aiming for.
But just want to be able to my board doing lazy turns on a longboard.

So the usual story is that when I get to the coast, I can more often than not get to my feet in the whitewater
When I go 'out back' though I can pick up the wave but it's usually just before it breaks, and I'm on a direction
straight back to shore, so as the wave curls and breaks it's like pearling the board. I'm assuming that I need to
do a 'top turn' or angle make take off on the unbroken wave to travel down it but when I try that it just seems
that I either need to correct and head back on a direct line back to shore to ride the or if I commit to angling along the wave
it just rolls the board sideways - if you know what I mean!

Is there any markers or stages you think I should hit so I can progress and with my surfing.

Any videos or advice on what to aim for would be great. I've bought mags and books and these have helped,
but it would be good to get some real pointers or goals to aim at so when I get to the coast, I'm not just pissing
around, but actually having a good go at developing - if you know what I mean!

As I said, many thanks for your responses and any advice you might give

Cheers
Deryck
splint51

Postby JayP » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:39 am

Try these guys tutorials - theres loads on youtube -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBvE2_5dBuI
JayP

Postby Jory » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:51 pm

Wingnuts learn to longboard book is good.

Angling take offs can help as will paddling harder so you can catch the wave a tiny bit earlier and have more time to turn. Most softops surf pretty well. If you do get a fibre gall board, go for a second hand longboard
Jory

Postby TonyB » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:13 pm

A skateboard will probably help a bit. There are plenty of old duffers on skateboards - you would not be alone. Google `Middle Aged Shred'. Dawn raids at your local park are the order of the day. And if you haven't skated before, or in a long time, I'd go carefully - they are willful beasts who like nothing better than putting you on your arse. But once you can carve around they are top fun.

As to whether you should go for a normal skateboard or a longboard - try them out and see what you like.
TonyB

Postby Uncle Chop Chop » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:45 am

Id recommend getting a second hand 10 footer. Catch loads of waves and really improve your surfing. Plus you can surf it in tiny waves......
Uncle Chop Chop

Return to Learn to Surf