Is there any surf in Somerset?

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Is there any surf in Somerset?

Postby Noush » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:02 pm

Hey,

I am in the process of relocating to Somerset for my job which is a lot closer to the coast than Leicester where I currently live.

I really want to be able to surf before/after work if I can so I am wondering if anyone has found anywhere surfable in Somerset? My google searches have been reasonably fruitless, contradictory and honestly I am a complete novice. I can see that Dorset, Devon and obviously Cornwall are all options. Somerset does look a bit dubious in terms of the shape of the coastline to me, but maybe I am wrong and maybe someone has a hidden gem they can share with me?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Noush

Re: Is there any surf in Somerset?

Postby Chris F » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:38 am

Where in Zomerzet will you be based? There are a few spots that I've seen folk surfing at in big winter swells, but N Devon is probably your best bet, no distance away. Going to be a lot easier to access surf than Leicester!
Chris F

Postby Noush » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:16 am

Ooh really? Where please? Yeah it's a bit of mission getting anywhere to surf from Leicester. I will be in Street, a couple of miles from Glastonbury.

Thanks so much!
Noush

Postby Chris F » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:04 am

It's in stormriders

http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Porlock-Weir

From Street you can go A39 and have a look at what's on along the way, but you will probably end up driving on to N Devon most of the time.
Chris F

Postby Noush » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:15 am

Brilliant thank you! Will have a look!
Noush

Postby Jory » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:33 pm

Porlock works rarely and mostly only on big winter swells. Croyde/saunton/putsborpugh will be your closest year round breaks
Jory

Return to Learn to Surf