Popping up but no speed

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Popping up but no speed

Postby JKX » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:53 am

I just started surfing and am using my buddies board. I'm 6'1 180lbs and boards 6'2 with 36Liters volume. I know it's small but it's what I have to work with. I've been surfing santa monica which has pretty small waves and I try to time it right, pop up and end up standing on the board but not really moving forward. Any advice to catching waves to keep moving?
JKX

Re: Popping up but no speed

Postby Kook » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:42 am

Could be a number of things, here are a few to look out for....

Board doesn't have enough volume - probably the most likely and the only solution is to get a bigger board
You're not paddling at the speed of the wave and falling off the back - watch the wave over your shoulder and really paddle hard with the last few strokes
You're popping up at the bottom of the wave so have lost all speed - pop up earlier so you race down the face of the wave and really lean into your bottom turn
Too far out on the shoulder - get closer to the peak

Its hard to determine this yourself. I suggest having a few lessons or surfing with people and asking them to help with positioning etc...

I appreciate that you only have a shorty to work with currently, but if you can get a board that's got more volume. Even if its a cheap soft top to start with it doesn't matter as surfing is all about catching waves, and I can say from experience that surfing such a small board will really hinder your progress until you have the basics dialed in.

Hope this healps.
Kook

Postby Chris_Witkowski » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:47 am

Sounds like you're trying to stand up before you've caught the wave. Try going for a few waves and just riding them laying down. This should give you a feel for actually catching the wave. You have to actually catch the wave before standing, otherwise you and the board go nowhere.
Chris_Witkowski

Postby baggins » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:01 am

Chris_Witkowski wrote:Try going for a few waves and just riding them laying down.

Sometimes these rides can be so much fun it makes standing up seem so overated... thats my excuse :lol:
baggins

Postby Leven » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:05 am

Get a bigger board....!

Seriously though, shortboards don't just plane along like larger boards do, you have to put some effort in to keep it moving. Watch any really good surfer, and you'll see they're constantly going from heel to toe to keep momentum up....not just gliding down the line.

If you find you're kind of falling off the back of the wave, paddle a little harder, and get your weight more over your front foot....think about driving down the line.
Leven

Postby Malibulongboards » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:45 pm

Try a bigger board. Santa Monica does not have the juice sometimes. To even this out a bigger board helps.
Good luck!
Matt
Malibulongboards

Return to Learn to Surf