Taking off behind the peak

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Taking off behind the peak

Postby Leven » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:16 pm

Something I've never been overly brilliant at. Any tips for taking off when you're a way behind the peak? Never seem to get in early enough to make the first section or pull in....
Leven

Re: Taking off behind the peak

Postby Philshoz » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:49 pm

There's a wave in N Wales I used to surf a lot where it wedges off the cliff and creates a lovely peak followed by a quick barrel and out.

Trying to backdoor it always eluded me no matter how hard I tried even though it tends to break in the same spot.

Getting in early was/is the key and maybe a special board for the spot. Dragging an arm, stalling, keep at it Leven.

A man of your talents should have it nailed 8)

ps: I presume you are going frontside?
Philshoz

Postby Leven » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:28 pm

Philshoz wrote:
ps: I presume you are going frontside?

Hell yes! I'd have no chance going backside!
Leven

Postby briggfoot » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:47 pm

Tricky isn't it!

Whilst not claiming to be any good at this at all, for me what I'm currently experimenting with and having some success with is:

Paddle into it really fucking hard, trying to get the nose of the board to hug the slope of the wave face so you can roll into it nicely rather than that 'jolty'-pitched way of dropping in to a wave.
Anticipate what's gonna happen and exactly what your actions are going to be once the wave has picked you up, then implement them.

Bit easier on a reef with more predictability to how it's breaking than on a beach perhaps. The take-off-behind-the-peak, big bottom-turn then pull up into the pocket of the wave thing I am shit at anyway..

Are you talking about surfing Leven, Leven?
briggfoot

Postby rodent » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:34 pm

When I see the peak breaking just ahead, can't stop myself pulling back and cursing myself for it

Bloody hard trying to commit, would love to know how to grow a pair
FREE THE DEADLY
rodent

Postby seenit » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:14 pm

rodent wrote:When I see the peak breaking just ahead, can't stop myself pulling back and cursing myself for it

Bloody hard trying to commit, would love to know how to grow a pair

As long as it's not dangerous get walloped a few times. Start off on small beachbreak closeouts and go from there. You wont make ANY of those but you'll get used to the hammerings and learn plenty about how to do it, then as you get better at it you can tangle with more difficult waves. The main problem I have is not enough opportunity to build up to stuff like that, so it's either fat rubbish waves or perfection that gets me tripping I cant make it when away. I think the france trip to hossegor etc could be integral to getting over this hurdle as plenty of beatings to be had without the consequences of reef or rocks. Don't think most of us are born unafraid of this stuff, you just need to sensibly build up your exposure and experience
seenit

Postby rodent » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:31 pm

I've been looking at these two vid's

http://magicseaweed.com/news/five-ways- ... rops/5937/

http://magicseaweed.com/news/tips-for-c ... aves/6435/

Have got better back hand but one problem I'm having going right is that a push the board through the wave after the take off :roll:
FREE THE DEADLY
rodent

Return to Learn to Surf