Proper Stance

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Proper Stance

Postby Nilaul » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:28 pm

Hi, I've had some trouble with my stance; Sometimes I can do it properly but sometime not It is more like a lottery, sometimes I have full control (1 in 10) of the board and sometimes I just fall off. I'm tired of being unsure where my feet should be .Can someone advice me on the proper stance please? How should my stance be?

My board is a 6'6 jake levy,

Best Regards,
Paul
Last edited by Nilaul on Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nilaul

Re: Proper Stance

Postby Black » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:39 am

Hi Paul,
Is this the first time you have ever gone on the internet by any chance? There are probably tens of thousands of photos of pro surfers out there all showing the correct foot position! Or is this a wind-up?
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Gershon » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:02 pm

Hey Paul,

Black is right.You can find some very useful article and tutorial videos about pop ups and how to avoid nosediving.
I would recommend to practice the drill in front of a mirror, thus you can easily correct your mistakes immediately.
This way it will be pretty automatic next time you will try to get up on your surfboard.

have fun:)
Gershon

Postby Tomdiddlybomb » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:55 am

more to the point, your struggles are probably from the fact that you're trying to learn on a 6'6. even if it has a wide nose and tail it's not going to be helping you at all, unless you're very tiny. maybe buy/hire a mini mal until you're comfortably getting up and starting to turn a bit. even better - lessons!
Tomdiddlybomb

Return to Learn to Surf