It's not in my quiver.
Roy Stuart

Re: **** slab

Postby flacky » Wed May 25, 2011 9:11 am

Didn't say it was.
flacky

Postby kayu » Wed May 25, 2011 9:20 am

Roy Stuart wrote:It's hydrodynamics 101 Kayu.

High lift noses are what get boards up and planing early. Bottom roll is a low lift displacement feature, yes I know the difference.

It's amazing how many people buy into these myths.

Ive tried it.....works well.. 8) ..if you try it, and it works, you can worry about the theory later....or not..
Last edited by kayu on Wed May 25, 2011 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
kayu

Postby kayu » Wed May 25, 2011 9:23 am

BTW Roy, high lift noses for lift ?.....now thats mythical !
kayu

Postby Roy Stuart » Wed May 25, 2011 9:26 am

Kayu you are wrong, bottom roll reduces lift and delays planing.

Of course the board with bottom roll in the nose can work well, but the roll will delay planing nonetheless.

I pay particular attention to acceleration on takeoff and use high nose lift as an important part of the strategy. ... you are as usual trying to cover up your faux pas by getting personal and making irrelevant comments . If anyone has been googling it's you, I've known the facts for many years. . glad that you are getting educated boy.

Roy Stuart

Postby Roy Stuart » Wed May 25, 2011 9:29 am

kayu wrote:
BTW Roy, high lift noses for lift ?.....now thats mythical !

Do try to read more carefully, I said high lift noses for early planing and acceleration on takeoff.

Contrary to what you said roll reduces lift, nose roll delays planing.
Roy Stuart

Postby Roy Stuart » Wed May 25, 2011 9:34 am

kayu wrote:It would get on the plane easier with a smidgen of roll up front

WRONG !

Actually that's 100% incorrect where on earth did you pick up that myth ? ( I've heard it being bandied about but it is BS)

Roll will make the board plane LATER not earlier.
Roy Stuart

Postby seasofcheese » Wed May 25, 2011 10:43 am

I think there is smacks of social disability here, its diagnosable but by its very nature not recognized by the individual. While you continue to talk shit with your elitist stance, you're absolutely useless to continue taking seriously at all. Roll isn't the point here - its about you cutting an outline in the Joe Baugues mini Simmons shadow without taking into account Joe's cleaver design facets - he after all made the foot prints that you've followed with your furniture. You've taken an outline and now knocking anyone who compliments it.

You're a right wing little rain cloud with narcissistic traits OR as we say here in the shires "a cunt". You're talking shit Roy, make sense somehow and keep fantasy from spoiling your work.

Does it surf? then show us? thats Flacky's point, and that you probably can't show us, well thats proven history isn't it. Its a fair comment. Also 'Nancy boy' ?

you're making yourself look a twat again Roy - I can't help you more than to let you know.
seasofcheese

Postby kayu » Wed May 25, 2011 10:51 am

Roy Stuart wrote:Kayu you are wrong, bottom roll reduces lift and delays planing.

Of course the board with bottom roll in the nose can work well, but the roll will delay planing nonetheless.

I pay particular attention to acceleration on takeoff and use high nose lift as an important part of the strategy. ... you are as usual trying to cover up your faux pas by getting personal and making irrelevant comments . If anyone has been googling it's you, I've known the facts for many years. . glad that you are getting educated boy.

Maybe explain yourself better Roy....are you saying '' nose designed to produce more lift" or " high lift nose" as in accelerated nose rocker" ?....you need to be clear boy to avoid confusion, thanks.. 8)....so far, I havn't "got personal" at all Roy......I usually wait until you start !
Last edited by kayu on Wed May 25, 2011 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
kayu

Postby kayu » Wed May 25, 2011 11:05 am

Roy Stuart wrote:How does a board "look like a board people might surf" ??

Please explain

Basically , it means a person who has ridden a few different designs, and enjoyed the experience , sees a board he hasn't ridden yet and finds certain lines , curves and features that he considers may deliver an equally enjoyable surfing experience... :lol:
kayu

Postby kayu » Wed May 25, 2011 11:22 am

Roy Stuart wrote:Kayu you are wrong, bottom roll reduces lift and delays planing.

You should direct that "gem" of wisdom at the many thousands of people around the world that ride McCoys.....
kayu

Postby flacky » Wed May 25, 2011 12:05 pm

My point is we have many videos of how Simmons or Baguess boards ride in varied conditions. So he won't be able to hid behind his usual spin about how no other boards can make the wave.
flacky

Postby ATTMFKH » Wed May 25, 2011 12:20 pm

CAUGHT INSIDE or your money back :-|
ATTMFKH

Postby Roy Stuart » Wed May 25, 2011 4:04 pm

seasofcheese wrote:
Roll isn't the point here

Yes it is.
Roy Stuart

Postby Roy Stuart » Wed May 25, 2011 4:06 pm

kayu wrote:

.are you saying '' nose designed to produce more lift"

I am

Contrary to what you say Roll in the nose reduces lift.

Roy Stuart

Postby Roy Stuart » Wed May 25, 2011 4:16 pm

seasofcheese wrote:
its about you cutting an outline in the Joe Baugues mini Simmons shadow without taking into account Joe's cleaver design facets - he after all made the foot prints that you've followed with your furniture. You've taken an outline and now knocking anyone who compliments it.

Is that so ?

Well take a look at these two boards built 2003/2004 the first one before I had a computer or internet connection.

When I posted them on Swaylocks in 2004 people were nonplussed at the outline until someone said " hey that looks like a simmons" ... the simmons trend started about 4 or 5 years later.

I made them prior to the fish revival and long before the simmons revival.

I came up with the outline myself and had never heard of a simmons, and yes I rode the boards extensively 2003/004.

So don't 'Joe Baugues' me you twerp, I've never heard of him !

Roy Stuart

Postby bunker » Wed May 25, 2011 4:22 pm

Original Spoon in 2003 = Contradiction in terms...

Bandwagon jumper
bunker

Postby Roy Stuart » Wed May 25, 2011 4:23 pm

kayu wrote:
Roy Stuart wrote:
Kayu you are wrong, bottom roll reduces lift and delays planing.

You should direct that "gem" of wisdom at the many thousands of people around the world that ride McCoys.....

Bottom roll is a design feature which can be used, but those who do need to realise that it reduces lift.

I use low lift tails myself, but I do so knowing what they do and don't do.

You on the other hand just go around parroting myths you have heard without the slightest clue about what really happens.

You say that bottom roll INCREASES lift when in fact it does the opposite, then when shown your error you frantically obfuscate as is your habit.

Y
Roy Stuart

Postby Roy Stuart » Wed May 25, 2011 4:25 pm

bunker wrote:Original Spoon in 2003 = Contradiction in terms...

Bandwagon jumper

Those boards are original mate, that's why they are called original.

Show me a spoon like them !

8)
Roy Stuart

Postby flacky » Wed May 25, 2011 4:51 pm

Roy Stuart wrote:I came up with the outline myself and had never heard of a simmons, and yes I rode the boards extensively 2003/004.

You'd probably seen them in a magazine... Subconscious...
flacky

Postby mal-nourished » Wed May 25, 2011 5:30 pm

kneeboard spoons were around long before your brainwave you dumb fuck original my ass.... :oops: go on dig a bigger hole .dont know what the fuck your internet connection has to do with things unless your confirming what we allready know you google everything ...i have found what inspired your fish and wooden spoon designs.....
Attachments
wooden_spoon_shark.jpg
wooden_spoon_shark.jpg (9.36 KiB) Viewed 588 times
Last edited by mal-nourished on Wed May 25, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mal-nourished

Postby topher » Wed May 25, 2011 6:12 pm

didn't George greenough have a ''little bit'' to do with the spoon?????
topher

Postby mal-nourished » Wed May 25, 2011 6:21 pm

spoons like these were evident all over the world 30yrs prior to roys unoriginal idea peter crawford and the dee why crew were on these early 70s so once again roy is talking shit....and yes they where exactly the same ....bandwagon rolls on...
mal-nourished

Postby surfinsmiler » Wed May 25, 2011 6:49 pm

I can follow the arguments but it does'nt matter.That Spoon shaped piece of art with the red/white inset deck that Roy has made deserves museum space.It's beautiful and I don't care how it rides.I'd happily put it in a room next to a few Ducatis and other style icons and just dream over the colours and the curves.BTW the "caught inside" section beckons if you're not careful.
surfinsmiler

Postby Chai Wallah » Wed May 25, 2011 7:02 pm

So Roy if this is the first board that you have made of this exact design and you are not going to ride it, how can you comment on how well it rides?

All you are currently doing is hypothesising about its performance. Get the board in the water, ride it in a variety of conditions at a number of breaks and then comment on how it performs until then your opinions are not relevant.

By the way when was the last time you surfed I have heard rumours through the maori grapevine that you have barely (if at all) surfed in the last 2 years and this probably accounts for the complete lack of new photographs or videos of you riding your boards. Perhaps your new strapline should be

" boards t0o expensive and exclusive for even their creator to ride"
Last edited by Chai Wallah on Wed May 25, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chai Wallah

Postby Black » Wed May 25, 2011 8:58 pm

Roy Stuart wrote:Image

I'm sure I surfed one of these in 1971 but you had to blow it up which always made me giddy. :shock: Didn't have the nice stripes though.
Black

Postby Cuttlefish » Wed May 25, 2011 9:28 pm

Well it's a wooden copy of a spoon not a mini-Simmons.
Two different designs and egos aside I doubt most of us (including Roy) hadn't heard of Bob Simmons boards or Lindsay Lord's tome until coming across it on Swaylocks through the internet.
The spoon was a much more common design in Australia and NZ due to George Greenough and others.
The rails look like they belong on a coffee table so obviously progress has been made.
Cuttlefish

Postby Roy Stuart » Wed May 25, 2011 9:37 pm

surfinsmiler wrote:
I can follow the arguments but it does'nt matter.That Spoon shaped piece of art with the red/white inset deck that Roy has made deserves museum space.It's beautiful and I don't care how it rides.I'd happily put it in a room next to a few Ducatis and other style icons and just dream over the colours and the curves.

Thanks surfinsmiler.

The smaller paulownia spoon was commissioned for a museum. It's based on first generation Greenough balsa spoons, but has several differences from them or the later Crawford spoons which make it unique, for exapmple the profile, rails, and hollow construction system.

The similarity which Greenough spoons have in planshape and rocker to the Simmons boards could be a Simmons influence or a coincidence. Certainly mine were inspired by Grenough's boards, the point i was making earlier was that I nade and rode boards of that size and planshape before the simmons revival and they certainly have nothing to do with Joe B as suggested.

Obviously the latest board is intentionally a Simmonsesque item, this look is achieved via the fins. In many ways it is different from both the Simmons and Greenough boards, so it is unique.

As I was saying nose roll reduces lift, time to put the myth that it increases lift to rest.

Roy Stuart

Postby Roy Stuart » Wed May 25, 2011 9:43 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:
Well it's a wooden copy of a spoon not a mini-Simmons.

It's not a copy.

The two spoons are original due to their planshape, construction, rails, bottom shape,profile, and fins.

They were inspired by Greenough balsa spoons but differ from them greatly.

Two different designs and egos aside I doubt most of us (including Roy) hadn't heard of Bob Simmons boards or Lindsay Lord's tome until coming across it on Swaylocks through the internet.

I hadn't heard of Simmons but had read Lord's book as it was in my boatbuilding library along with Chappelle, Herreshoff, Monk, Parker and many others

By the way planing hulls frequently have constant section 'rails' .
Roy Stuart

Postby Roy Stuart » Wed May 25, 2011 9:50 pm

mal-nourished wrote:
spoons like these were evident all over the world 30yrs prior to roys unoriginal idea

and yes they where exactly the same

Wrong again.
Roy Stuart

PreviousNext

Return to Caught Inside