Sweet Potato

Looking for that special stick? Post an ad in here for things you are after!

Sweet Potato

Postby anthony.d » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:20 am

Still Wanted.
Firewire Sweet Potato 6ft plus.
Anthony 07974 765437
anthony.d

Re: Sweet Potato

Postby Surfer1979 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:08 pm

There's a surf shop in woolacombe that's doin £50 off new sweet potatoes I've just bought a brand new one for £480 it's called surf work
Surfer1979

Postby anthony.d » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:04 pm

Thanks very much!! I'll give them a call.
anthony.d

Postby reserves » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:03 pm

6ft + is gonna be very BIG !! ;)

I'll be in woolacombe next w/e with a 5' 8" Sweet P if you wanna try one out.
reserves

Postby anthony.d » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:30 pm

reserves wrote:6ft + is gonna be very BIG !! ;)

I'll be in woolacombe next w/e with a 5' 8" Sweet P if you wanna try one out.

Yup that's what I want! Thanks for the offer, unfortunately can't make that. Very kind of you.
anthony.d

Postby still learning » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:17 pm

I had a sweet potato but felt it just wasn't right.......bought it as a small wave board so I could get in when it was chite and hopefully catch as many waves as the longboarders. With all the blurb etc read I was expecting this machine to go in all waves sloppy and crap up to three foot with the minimum of paddling needed, but it just wasn't meant to be.......

When the waves were 2ft with a little punch it went great and would have shit loads of fun and catch every wave I went for, but anything other than a wave like that I just couldn't get it to go that's even if i could catch the wave, unfortunately sloppy small days in Cornwall are not all 2ft and punchy!!!!

So off it went and I decided I needed an egg style board......after much perusing and info gathering I settled upon a Ben Skinner 'Skin Dog' Wave Hog, told him the volume of the 5'8" Sweet Potato and he came up with a 6'8" version of his wave hog. What can I say?? it's frickin brilliant goes in all types of crap knee high and above, had it in beach breaks at Hossegor 3 weeks ago in fast peeling 3-4' waves and it still went nuts. Bought this to progress my surfing and to start doing cutbacks and it is doing just what I wanted it for.

What I am trying to tell you is if I was you I would go for a more traditional egg/mal shape if your looking for a fun grovel board, it's way more versatile. I don't know your level of surfing but I can't kick myself hard enough wishing i'd got something like that last year when I started progressing to a proper surfboard. rather than wasting so much frustrating paddling on boards not suitable at all.
still learning

Postby Surfer1979 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:14 am

ive just bought one surfed it twice in South coast cack and its a weird one

They are super floaty - I have a 5'8 the 6'0 will feel like a boat though mate - check it out before you buy it - the split bottom is weird and takes a bit of getting used to, it pivots in a weird way. It does take a but of getting used to, id also say if you surf a longer board don't be fooled the potato is still a performance shorter board - its loose fast and pretty twitchy!
Surfer1979

Postby anthony.d » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:33 pm

Thanks SL and S79. Advice taken on board, the most down to earth advice yet. I did think I was being overealistic. What you have said has hit home!
anthony.d

Postby dixie » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:24 am

get a small gulfstream magic carpet...theres one on the for sales on here....no it aint mine.

ive had 3 potatos

2x 5 10
1 x 6'0

i thought id dive em a 2nd and 3 rd chance.
im 41 n 14.5 stone

the gulfstream magic carpet is a brilliant do it all (for normal waves).....fast cutbacks to mini nose rides

cant rate em enough.. n ive had a few boards (ahem) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mines a 7.0 x 23 x 3
dixie

Postby mrkmrk2842 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:49 am

I've ridden the GS magic carpet for sale in the FS section (it's a friends) and it goes great and is a steal at that price! I know he's willing to pack up for shipping too...
mrkmrk2842

Postby reserves » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:55 am

Comparing a Sweet Potato to a Magic Carpet is like comparing Apples to Oranges surely :)
reserves

Postby Kenny » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:58 am

And that's the point. The marketing for the SP would have you believe that it is an alternative, with the bigger versions being a "Longboarder's shortboard".
It is anything but. My (ex Dixie..apparently) Gulf Stream 6'4 x 23 Speed Dialer is much better in small windy, difficult conditions whereas I consider my 5'10 SP more a shortboarder's longboard (really comes alive in slopey, glassy waves).
Kenny

Postby anthony.d » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:59 am

That's what has been in the back of my mind all along. Hence I was looking for a bigger one 6ft plus. People have been telling me to go small but I really think that would be over-ambitious. I really would like to give one a go in 2-3ft clean waves.
anthony.d

Postby Surfer1979 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:15 pm

ive surfed my SP in the south coast windy mayhem this last week and its growing on me all the time - in waist to head high storm surf it has gone really well - foot placement is key, ive found coming off the bottom with your foot too far back it slides like a tray and same thing with the step rail on a cutback - BUT I am having a lot of fun and it is very very fast, insanely floaty (great for a pie monster like me) and it will hit the lip etc etc which is great again when you just want to know the board is going to work for you and you are not struggling (again - for the 'older' guy with kids etc this is perfect as I really cant be arsed with paddling around or even trying to paddle around on potato chips) - I have found the quad set up a bit unusual and a bit slidey - I think I am going to put bigger quad fins in and see If it will hold a bit better

I would try and buy a second hand one and see how you get on - I wouldn't go 6'0 though as it will be like an oil tanker - 5'8 is big and the 5'10 was HUGE

I am 5'10 and 14 stone - been surfing since I was 8 regularly growing up in wales and living in Cornwall and West Dorset
Surfer1979

Return to Wanted