The GEAR REVIEW Thread...

Got a question about this years best new wetsuit? Found an amazing new surf product? Post in here and let people know about it.

Re: The GEAR REVIEW Thread...

Postby Black » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:34 am

Ferral wrote:oneill 3mm SL wetsuits gloves.

Utter drivel, I've had them for under a month and they have torn next to the seams on one glove and all the the neoprene has 'rubbed' off the fingers on the other. absolutely fuming. whats worse is I've lost the receipt and packaging so i dont think I can return them :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I've had a couple of pairs of O'Neill gloves which fell apart almost immediately but that was a couple years back. Looks like they've not done anything about it which is odd.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Ferral » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:10 pm

Strangely the o'neil 1.5mm gloves I lost were great, which is why i got o'neill 3mm, but looking through a few other post lots of o'neill ones are bad.

guess i'll just coat them in wetsuit glue and man up a bit :lol:
Ferral

Postby Microwebby » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:02 am

I bought a pair of those 3 mm O'neill Gooru gloves end of last year and they split just behind the palm after little more than a month, probably from taking them on and off (something you have to do with gloves right?). Took me a while to get round to taking them back and when I did it was more than three months since I got them. Shop sent them back to the distributor, and they gave me a new pair back today. Didn't have the receipt any more but found the payment on my bank statement which was OK with the shop.
So I got a new pair of gloves, but I still expect them to break again within a couple of months, so still feel like a mug
I think that I may have had the same problem with previous O'neill gloves, 3mm ones as well. I'll have to check my collection of knackered neoprene.
Microwebby

Postby flacky » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:33 pm

I don't rate Billabong at all, but my gloves finally gave up on me really. Billabong 2mm, all the seam seals have split exposing the stitching, not sure if they leaked or not, hands didnt feel bulky, but still warm enough for 3 hours in baltic Anglesey at the weekend. Boots split too, right round the heel pulling them on last session, so had that to put up with. Think they were O Neill Mutant boots. Really good. Won't be replacing either, hopefully my last cold winter, so will tough it out.

I just can't understand why anyone wears 7mm gloves!
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby JayP » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:47 pm

Picked up a half price ripcurl heated rashy from surfdome a few weeks ago. My god they are good! Toasty toasty toasty!!!! I can stay in loads longer and my back doesn't seize up so I don't surf like a kook (well, not so much anyway!!). Very happy! :-D
JayP

Postby Black » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:30 pm

Actimist eye spray, you've probably seen the ads on tv, you spray it on your closed eyelids.

Didn't think it was helping to start with but began to notice my eyes were not red raw anymore, they still felt a bit raw but didn't look it. Big test was looking in the mirror after a surf when my eyes are usually glowing red, hardly red at all. Also my eyes get really crusty deposits; no longer! Hope you're not eating while reading this??

Downside is the cost - a f-f-f-f-f-fortune!
Black

Postby dermo909 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:11 pm

The zip on my Billabong revolution broke 3 teeth the last day I was out. Not impressed but Billabong are going to sort it out under warranty.
dermo909

Postby Philshoz » Sat May 25, 2013 5:36 am

This looks interesting and well priced for a 'new to market' suit.....http://store.magicseaweed.com/product.php?productId=73427

I particularly like the old school, retro logo look. Or should I say plain black.....
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby Microwebby » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:31 pm

If your thinking of getting an O'Neill Mutant winter suit then check out the difference in thickness between the Grey, Black, and Blue versions. The Grey, and Black, seem to have thicker neoprene on the arms, and possibly all over, than the Blue. They're supposed to be the same, but they're not. So you might get more winter suit for your money if you choose the right colour. Good suits for the price
Microwebby

Postby Black » Sun May 04, 2014 9:49 am

Ok so I've been an advocate of C-Skins for a while (and O'Neil) but I noticed the other day my 2 season Sessions 5/3 suit has the seams coming apart in the lumbar region. Apart from the lining disintegrating in the sleeve ends which started happening almost immediately. If their current suits are this quality I wouldn't recommend as I'm now looking at a repair cost. My nine year old one still has no seam splitting but neither does it keep me warm anymore!!
Black

Postby tootes » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:36 am

in the last two weeks I have:
Pulled apart a seam getting into my rip curl e bomb
snapped a creatures of leisure leash
and had the thread go on the little nut that holds my fin into my single fin.

Also made repairs to three boards.
wheels and water blog
http://tootes.blogspot.com/
Eco Kindle Blog
http://ecokindle.blogspot.com/
tootes

Previous

Return to Wetsuits and gear