The GEAR REVIEW Thread...

Got a question about this years best new wetsuit? Found an amazing new surf product? Post in here and let people know about it.

Re: The GEAR REVIEW Thread...

Postby J L » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:02 pm

smelly skater wrote:love this works very well http://dryrap.com/

LMFAO, you homo :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
J L

Postby Archy_is_God » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:38 am

:roll: :lol:
Archy_is_God

Postby Barneyrubble » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:36 am

Skippy Peanut butter - get it from Costco - ace stuff. Have it every morning on rice cakes - colleagues hate me as it stinks.

http://www.americansoda.co.uk/uk/Americ ... er-(1.13kg).aspx

Sure it is Kangaroo free though..
Barneyrubble

Postby Archy_is_God » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:42 pm

Love Skippy!

Really nice smeared on chicken breast after being mixed with a good dollop of sweet chilli sauce and a drop of hot water then stuck on a griddle pan-instant Indo Satay :-D
Archy_is_God

Postby skimmer2 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:48 am

Archy_is_God wrote:Love Skippy!

Really nice smeared on chicken breast after being mixed with a good dollop of sweet chilli sauce and a drop of hot water then stuck on a griddle pan-instant Indo Satay :-D

Yip - we do something sort of similar but add the soy sauce and some honey/water.
skimmer2

Postby Speeding Mullet » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:36 pm

the local surf shop lent me this centre fin to try out:

IMG_8082b.jpg
IMG_8082b.jpg (39.34 KiB) Viewed 1773 times

I should point out I'm a 3rd season surfer and not that good, so I felt like a penis walking down to the beach: one draw back but not as big as the drawback you get when you're busy displaying your severe lack of talent in the water.

the fin made the board feel very tail heavy and draggy when paddling around, but as soon as I picked up a couple of (slow sloppy chopped up) waves I did notice a little difference, which I suspect would be magnified on cleaner bigger waves. What I noticed was increased speed over flat sections of the wave, but decreased turning ability (that could be my lack of ability). The board when on a plane seemed to be alot quieter and smoother, which I guess would be the hydrofoil effect starting to work.

For the money you would have to spend on this I would suggest its abit of a gimmick but the sensation it gives is quite strange. Anyone else tried/has one of these?
Speeding Mullet

Postby J L » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Travis Perkins own brand citrus de greaser, 5quid a bottle, absolutly awsome, scrape off the old wax a quick spray and wipe off the old wax residue, leaves it super clean and not a hint of greese, did my 9'6" and my 6'6" only used a fraction of the bottle.

safe as houses can be used on Metal, plastic, glass Hair and skin, smells nice too.
J L

Postby Colinjames » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:56 am

Favorite piece of gear is my Oneill Mutant 543
Colinjames

Re: The GEAR REVIEW Thread...GOPRO Surf camera

Postby sjb1983 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:56 pm

Just bought a gopro camera (not the HD one) as I'm living in Bali and thought it would be the ideal time to get one.

Pros - pretty easy to use and gives you a new perspective on your surfing, gets angles you would never otherwise see

(check my vid test on my blog http://www.livebali.blogspot.com down at Ulus

Cons - you get to see how stupid you look when riding a wave, mists up pretty easily, you end up faffing with it in the surf turning it on or off, the record button is a bit stiff, bit expensive so you end up being paranoid about it coming off!

All in all, it's a cool bit of kit but you do end up pissing about with it and I'm not so sure I like taking technology out for a surf with me as it becomes a bit of a hassle........
Attachments
Fullscreen capture 03082010 141729.bmp.jpg
Fullscreen capture 03082010 141729.bmp.jpg (218.53 KiB) Viewed 1479 times
sjb1983

Postby ATTMFKH » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:03 pm

Metal Nit Comb - to get that fucking shitey brown stringy seaweed off your leash velcro....works a treat :-)
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Poo Stance » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:19 pm

Condoms. Stops AIDS and babies.

Taxi for one.
Poo Stance

Postby finlay » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:24 pm

I bought a Patagonia R4 winter suit to keep me toasty for this winter and hopefully many winters ahead - I will do a full unboxing and review sort of thing when I get home mid-end sept.

wasnt cheap though - maybe close to 400 bangers all in.
finlay

Postby eric_t » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:53 pm

So a few months ago i acquired a new wetsuit sponno from the lovely people at animal,and bloody pleased i am about it too. Now i guess what your supposed to do in these situations is shout from the rooftops (or the pages of the journal) about how amazingly marvelous these suits are to anyone and everyone who will listen. Well this might be sponno suicide but i haven't really done that, I've just worn mine (a lot) and been really pleased with it. Sometimes people ask me about it in the sea and i'll say 'yeah its a really good suit you should check them out' but thats about all you can say to a stranger in the sea isn't it?

But then today I thought, hang on a minute, this actually is a really good suit and deserves more recognition of that fact. Basically without going into the stretch/warmth/well made details of the whole thing - its a really stretchy, really warm and really really well made (better than pretty much anything i've had before i'd say)suit. So if your looking for something to keep you warm and mobile this winter go here http://shop.animal.co.uk/technical/icat/technical/ and discover more.

You might be thinking about now - 'he's only saying this because he has to' or 'what the fuck do animal know about making wetsuits' well i've had a fair few free suits in the past and have never been arsed to right about them before so they must be doing something right!! Right?

Anyway check em out and save yourself a fair few quid on a new xcel.
eric_t

Postby smelly skater » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:38 pm

i nearly cried when i read this great post your getting nearly as good as cotty :-D

www.pushingtide.co.uk
smelly skater

Postby DrJive » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:46 am

Xcel 7mm infiniti round toe boots.

Warm as fuck when new, fall to bits in about 6 months, not good enough in my opinion as I don't even surf every day.
Not worth the dosh in my opinion.

Quiksilver Cypher 5/4/3 hooded

Toasty/flexible as fuck although it won't truly be tested until after xmas. Is easily on a par with my last seasons Xcel build quality wise. About £50 cheaper as well. The neck seal is far superior to the one on the xcel.

Xcel Infiniti 5/4/3 chest zip.

After 1yr it's still pretty flexible. The seams/seals all seem to be in very good condition, the neck is frayed and the logo branding is peeling off in places. Good suit but nothing special in my opinion.
DrJive

Postby ATTMFKH » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:17 pm

Late for work after a dawnie - eyes bright red & fucked with tiredness & salt water - obviously been surfing - couple drops each eye & the whiteness returns in about 30 secs ......... you ain't seen me roighht :wink:
ATTMFKH

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:30 am

I always keep some of that in the car for the same reason. Wonder stuff.

On a different note, I'm just coming to the last month or two of my 2nd season in an O'Neill Pshcho 1 3/2mm and after a quick inspection yesterday I'm really impressed with how it's holding up.

I bought a Bodyglove ECO to replace it, but it didn't quite fit right, but after checking the O'Neill, I may just keep it for a third season and flog the Bodyglove.
Archy_is_God

Postby Jimmy Slade » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:28 am

wore a tiki tk90 4/3 all weekend more comfortable than some top range suits i have had, early days so not sure how the longevity will be on it but super impressed so far
Jimmy Slade

Postby skasteppa » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:54 pm

cheers Jimmy ive been sizing that up for a bit, torn between that or the hooded Pyschofreak for up north, thinking the warmer the better seeing as ill spend more time in the water than on the board!
skasteppa

Postby Jimmy Slade » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:04 am

it comes with heat pads and inbuilt slots for them by your kidneys, havent tried them yet but should be toasty with those, if i were going for something for the NE winter id go maybe a level up and get the prodigy version which has liquid seals etc
Jimmy Slade

Postby skasteppa » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:49 am

yeah just seen the prodigy version Jimmy, looks good, reviews say it looks a bit shoddy with the glue leaks and patchwork effect, but for that money and if it keeps me warm this winter its a good buy, couldnt care less if it looks a bit duff! Be interesting to see how long it lasts like you say but im interested in testing one out.
Heat pads look like fun two..one for each bollock haha!
heres a link to the 3/2 if anyone interested: http://www.mesurf.com.au/ProductDetail. ... uit-review
skasteppa

Postby Jimmy Slade » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:49 am

if its any help when you try one on if your stuck between sizes buy smaller as like most modern suits they give a little initially
Jimmy Slade

Postby Chris F » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:06 pm

DrJive wrote:Xcel 7mm infiniti round toe boots

If you are in the market for some new ones, I rally rate the alder plasma 7mm. Toasty, comfy, not too spenny and I have had mine 2 winters with no sign of wear. And I treat them like shit, leave them wet in bag for weeks on end.
Chris F

Postby surfrat » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:07 pm

had a 4/3 prodigy....very nice comfy suit but it was too big so had to get rid.

also, just got a Billabong Foil 3/2 GBS chest zip for 90 quid. so comfy and stretchy. more 2 than 3 mm but i want it for summer, not 3 seasons, so that's fine. impressed so far.
surfrat

Postby finlay » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:33 pm

Looks unremarkable until you turn it inside out, Patagonia r4. I'll post up a proper review when I get to try it out on the north coast this dec/jan and then north sea for the rest of winter. I think my battered xcel will be enough for autumn in bournemouth area. Saved maybe 150 quid by ordering it from the US but these seem to be available across the UK for 500 quid now, hopefully with a UK centre if any warranty issues arise.
finlay

Postby ATTMFKH » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:44 pm

Hey Finlay - I've got some photos of that Skip Frye glider you were thinking about making - I know you tried to get a swatch when up on the Island and it never happened ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby shackattack2 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:00 pm

Chris F wrote:If you are in the market for some new ones, I rally rate the alder plasma 7mm. Toasty, comfy, not too spenny and I have had mine 2 winters with no sign of wear. And I treat them like shit, leave them wet in bag for weeks on end.

2nd....had mine for one winter and they're grand. Key for any booties (and gloves) is to order them v.tight. Once the water gets in they expand and become loose, usually after a month or two. Also make sure to get ones with at least two straps to seal them up
shackattack2

Postby DrJive » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:20 pm

That R4 looks nuts inside out, let me know if it smells of wee after a few sessions :wink:

I reckon we have all gone a bit soft now anyway. Modern suits are so superior to suits 10yrs ago it's unreal and if they surfed in them....
DrJive

Postby Chris F » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:13 pm

DrJive wrote:That R4 looks nuts inside out, let me know if it smells of wee after a few sessions :wink:

I reckon we have all gone a bit soft now anyway. Modern suits are so superior to suits 10yrs ago it's unreal and if they surfed in them....

Certainly looks the business. Knowing Patagonia as a company they will honour any warranty issues. Like to see it if you are up this way.

Sure we have gone all soft, but only an idiot suffers unnecessarily.
Chris F

Postby tootes » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:13 am

This weekend probably saw my last session in my old Sola special 5/2. Crap kookie name in terms of brand maybe but its gone the distance and been treated quiet badly. I still have the boots I bought on the same day and whilst I admit I haven't worn them for a few years (been through some rib curls ones) it has to be said there is absolutely no damage to them and I think I might just start wearing them again.

So what next for the between winter and summer suit for the east coast for around £100-£150 notes?
tootes

PreviousNext

Return to Wetsuits and gear