The GEAR REVIEW Thread...

Got a question about this years best new wetsuit? Found an amazing new surf product? Post in here and let people know about it.

Re: The GEAR REVIEW Thread...

Postby philo » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:32 pm

just wear your winter one and think about complaining about the heat when your out there in january
philo

Postby Chris F » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:31 am

tootes wrote:So what next for the between winter and summer suit for the east coast for around £100-£150 notes?

A plane ticket to somewhere warm? :lol:
Chris F

Postby Black » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:00 pm

Beaumont's alcoholic ginger beer. Lashings of it, mmmmm!
Black

Postby Poo Stance » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:56 am

Anyone heard of Buell wetsuits? Getting top reviews in here.

http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/showfl ... ost1891131

They've just launched their 5/4 hooded at $200 off RRP. Going on what the folk are saying on surfermag... I want!

Poo Stance

Postby Archy_is_God » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:58 am

Saw that thread PS. Don't think there's a Euro dealer for them yet, but could still be worth ordering one if it's cheap enough and you don't mind taking it to someone over here and paying for repairs if it goes wrong.
Archy_is_God

Postby skimmer2 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:46 pm

Xcwl 1.5 mm gloves - second year and toasty.
skimmer2

Postby mealy » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:17 pm

Archy_is_God wrote:Saw that thread PS. Don't think there's a Euro dealer for them yet, but could still be worth ordering one if it's cheap enough and you don't mind taking it to someone over here and paying for repairs if it goes wrong.

'Buell is the guy from Hotline in Santa Cruz'
I'd really recommend Hotline wetsuits. This is my second winter in mine and it is still as good as when it was bought. The only problem that I have had was the chest zip is pretty thin and awkward to do up with cold hands I got this changed by a local wetsuit repair company cost £15 and I can honestly say its been my best surfing investment I've made for a long time. 8)
mealy

Postby Black » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:01 pm

My Christmas present, Casio G-Shock Gulfman watch:
Features for the surfer are; waterproof to depths beyond human ken, graphic display of tide state and moon phase, various alarm/timers, virtually indestructible.
Used it in the sea today & performed faultlessly. I must point out that the tides are calculated from your input of longitude & lunitidal interval but it doesn't actually give you the high/low tide times (as far as I can tell), just the graphic bar display which is in roughly hourly chunks. Also the graphic display for the moon phase is so small my old eyes can't see it, however you can easily bring up a digital display of the moon state in days. Its quite a chunky watch but light & comfy. If you have poor eyesight check you can read the display as some of it is quite small. Its design might not be to everyones taste but I like it & am well pleased.
Black

Postby ATTMFKH » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:08 pm

^^^^^ that's headed for the top drawer in the kitchen ....... or your money back :lol: :lol:
ATTMFKH

Postby Black » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:30 pm

No way!!! :P
I've actually never had a waterproof watch before that I could trust in the sea. :shock: & it was pretty cheap.
Last edited by Black on Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black

Postby flacky » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:31 pm

Black. I had a G Shock a few years ago, Actually, it was a baby G, the chicks version, as I found the chaps versions were way to big and bulky. THis was waterproof to some ridiculous depths.
Wore it surfing, no problems, til the winter. Cold water fucked it. screen fogged up. I asked for a replacement and they said it wasn't covered for salt water. I'm wondering if anyone knows where there's a 200m deep swimming pool...
flacky

Postby Black » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:33 pm

flacky wrote:Black. I had a G Shock a few years ago, Actually, it was a baby G, the chicks version, as I found the chaps versions were way to big and bulky. THis was waterproof to some ridiculous depths.
Wore it surfing, no problems, til the winter. Cold water fucked it. screen fogged up. I asked for a replacement and they said it wasn't covered for salt water. I'm wondering if anyone knows where there's a 200m deep swimming pool...
The Gulfman is designed specifically for saltwater. :wink: Was fine today, pretty cold too although it is a little bulky.

Edit: It replaces a watch that came free with a magazine so I'm not that choosy!
Black

Postby ATTMFKH » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:27 pm

Salomon knee length ski socks ................ got the little piggies toasting rapid stylee today :-)
ATTMFKH

Postby Barneyrubble » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:08 pm

Got one of those Northcore waterproof car seat covers to replace one of my old ones....looks grand, fits grand and industrial strength....no water ever getting through this baby. Will get another in a wee while to replace the other old one. The doggies if you are like me and sometimes drive home in the wettie when it is blowin Baltic and raining.
Barneyrubble

Re: Inside edge backsaver...

Postby joc » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:45 pm

does anybody know whether this or another kind of back support actually works? I'm really suffering in water with lower back pain/ soft tissue damage that's not really getting fully better. Don't want a prolonged period out of the water so looking for anything that may help...
joc

Postby Archy_is_God » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:28 am

Hey joc,

I believe mrkmrk off here had a similar kind of support thingy - whiz him a pm to pick his brains :)
Archy_is_God

Postby roberdy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:51 pm

Barneyrubble wrote:Got one of those Northcore waterproof car seat covers to replace one of my old ones....looks grand, fits grand and industrial strength....no water ever getting through this baby. Will get another in a wee while to replace the other old one. The doggies if you are like me and sometimes drive home in the wettie when it is blowin Baltic and raining.

Two years of regular use and the salt water starts to rot the fuckers, believe me :)
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Re: Inside edge backsaver...

Postby dogtowatch » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:22 pm

joc wrote:does anybody know whether this or another kind of back support actually works? I'm really suffering in water with lower back pain/ soft tissue damage that's not really getting fully better. Don't want a prolonged period out of the water so looking for anything that may help...

Say joc, any joy with finding a surf suitable back support? i too could sorely do with something similar.
dogtowatch

Postby dogtowatch » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:14 pm

Someone back along was asking about Snugg suits. Had a bespoke 'sabotage' made.This was a price hike on the top end xcell suits at the time. VERY disappointed with it. Flushes neck and arms, poor fastening around neck compared to xcell or Alder, unzips in the water and body feels to short. Received via post with no follow up call [it was bloody expensive] for customer satisfaction. More fool me for not returning it. Snugg will not have any more of my folding cash. xcell or Alder for now on. Wanted a British made suit but what do you do.
dogtowatch

Postby Lost At Sea » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:54 pm

dogtowatch wrote:Someone back along was asking about Snugg suits. Had a bespoke 'sabotage' made.This was a price hike on the top end xcell suits at the time. VERY disappointed with it. Flushes neck and arms, poor fastening around neck compared to xcell or Alder, unzips in the water and body feels to short. Received via post with no follow up call [it was bloody expensive] for customer satisfaction. More fool me for not returning it. Snugg will not have any more of my folding cash. xcell or Alder for now on. Wanted a British made suit but what do you do.

Bummer about the wetsuit - never heard a bad review of Snugg - just out of interest, did you go and get measured up at the factory or did yo supply them with measurements yourself?

Surely worth letting them know and giving them a chance to fix it?
Lost At Sea

Postby eric_t » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:26 pm

I had 3 snugg suits a few years ago (a summer, winter and summer) and they were all slightly different sizes even though they came of the same measurements. To be fair to Snugg tho, the last one i got, the neck was pretty baggy. They took it back altered it and returned it within a week.
eric_t

Postby dogtowatch » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:53 pm

Arp, had the full suits you sir treatment at the factory. Mind you it was a cold day, but he didnt want me to get my kit off as i suggested [ had pristine boxers on as i was expecting to at least be measured in my T and said under crackers ] Had too much stuff happening at the time to get it put right, but tbh it felt like it was made for another geeza.
dogtowatch

Postby skasteppa » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:16 am

Just back from a trip using the new Oneill RG8 and loved it, super stretchy, soft and zero flushing, really recommend it, cant wait for summer surfs..
skasteppa

Postby Black » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:26 pm

Samsung Galaxy Ace android phone
Got it this weekend & have gone fom a bog standard no camera phone from Tesco to this beautiful creature. Really bright screen, easy to use & great android os.
Downside: Woeful battery time but I can live with that. Also didnt like AES encryption so had to change to TKIP on the wireless at home.
Totally fabulous! I love it!
Black

Postby skasteppa » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:08 pm

nice!think you can get pretty cheap solar chargers for those now Black.

for those with iphones- theres a Surfers Path app available dead cheap- you get one issue free too- dont bother with Surf Europe app tho it crashes.

Forgot to mention the Kodak zi8- cracking little video recorder, cheap, 1080p quality and ace for filming the waves for those barren days in stoke!
skasteppa

Postby flacky » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:21 pm

Salomon wetsuits. I know they no longer make them, but my MYO 3/2 is now into it's 4th year and was warm and toasty last weekend in Wales, no rashie underneath, nowt. Still the stretchiest, warmest most comfortable suit I've had. If anyone knows anywhere that still has any for sale, please. PLEEEEEEEEASE...... let me know.
flacky

Postby Black » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:10 pm

skasteppa wrote:nice!think you can get pretty cheap solar chargers for those now Black.
Thanks for that info, I was thinking all day at work how to re-charge it ad-hoc, will look into those. Loaded the MSW app on today. :-D

PS And my previous review post was from the phone.
Black

Postby skasteppa » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:14 am

No worries- heres a link for one- not as cheap as you can get, so google samsung galazy ace solar charger and have a shop around:
http://www.fommy.co.uk/view-full-page.a ... kuno=83981
Bet you cant put it down now youve got a nifty one hey, bloody phones!
skasteppa

Postby Black » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:27 pm

skasteppa wrote:No worries- heres a link for one- not as cheap as you can get, so google samsung galazy ace solar charger and have a shop around:
http://www.fommy.co.uk/view-full-page.a ... kuno=83981
Bet you cant put it down now youve got a nifty one hey, bloody phones!

Tea break & l'm on it again! Thanks once again for that.
Black

Postby Vince Noir » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:13 pm

Black wrote:Samsung Galaxy Ace android phone
Got it this weekend & have gone fom a bog standard no camera phone from Tesco to this beautiful creature. Really bright screen, easy to use & great android os.
Downside: Woeful battery time but I can live with that. Also didnt like AES encryption so had to change to TKIP on the wireless at home.
Totally fabulous! I love it!

galaxy s II comes out on 1st of may !

that said, my gf just got an Ace off her dad..he's got it on contract for £5 a month ! great phone by the look of things

did you let the battery run out completely before the first big charge black ?
Vince Noir

PreviousNext

Return to Wetsuits and gear