Xcel wetsuits and warranty issues

Got a question about this years best new wetsuit? Found an amazing new surf product? Post in here and let people know about it.

Xcel wetsuits and warranty issues

Postby henryg » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:56 pm

I've just had my Xcel wetsuit back after I sent it to Danielsurf (Xcel UK distributor) a mere 5 weeks ago! I heard not a word from them in this time; not an email, not a phone call or text. I had rung them up a fortnight ago, because I thought 3 weeks was excessive, and was given an excuse about people being off and ill etc. They then promised it would be sent the following week. When I asked why they hadn't contacted me they didn't really have an answer. When I rang them again today (The suit only arrived this evening) the same excuse was passed and more apologies were offered. Well I may have had crap suits in the past from the likes of Ripcurl but at least they've been good with their warranties and didn't ask me to send my suits back at my expense because of their shitty quality control then keep them for weeks and weeks. If this had been my only suit i'd have been high and dry for over a month. I think this is unacceptable service when you are forking out on top end wetsuits.

My verdict on Xcel:
Warmth 10/10
Build quality 3/10
Customer service 1/10
STOP...... Hammertime
henryg

Re: Xcel wetsuits and warranty issues

Postby ned1 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:12 pm

is this the guys in plymouth ?, if not get in contact with them.

They sorted out a few of my well used two year old suits (re seamed) and didn't change me a bean !! :-)
ned1

Postby swiggy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:34 pm

I got one fixed under warranty a few years ago, and yeah it took ages. I remember something like 6 weeks. They sent it to snugg I believe rather than fixed it in house, I got it back with different seam sealing to the ones that broke. I still bought another xcel, unlike rip curl you usually don't have to deal with the warranty department :dontknow:
swiggy

Postby henryg » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:53 pm

ned1 wrote:is this the guys in plymouth ?, if not get in contact with them.

They sorted out a few of my well used two year old suits (re seamed) and didn't change me a bean !! :-)

Yeah it's the place in Plymouth
STOP...... Hammertime
henryg

Postby henryg » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:54 pm

swiggy wrote:I got one fixed under warranty a few years ago, and yeah it took ages. I remember something like 6 weeks. They sent it to snugg I believe rather than fixed it in house, I got it back with different seam sealing to the ones that broke. I still bought another xcel, unlike rip curl you usually don't have to deal with the warranty department :dontknow:

This is my first foray into Xcel and so far this one is just as shoddily built as any ripcurl I've had.
STOP...... Hammertime
henryg

Postby Johnny_rad » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:20 pm

Haven't had an XCEL for years, but heard they are now owned by Billabong and the quality has gone to shit..
Johnny_rad

Postby danny1 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:20 pm

this is interesting

i bought an 2010 xcel and it is high quality

the same quality as the one i got in 2007/8

if things have changed im guted was gonna buy a 6mm xcel sometime soon...

i dont like billabong they are shite. ripcurl are acceptable but only just. i was loving xcel...
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby MJE » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:47 pm

Sent some gloves (in warranty) and a suit (out of warranty) to Danielsurf last year, was pissed off about worn £30+ gloves after 2 months.

They sent back repaired suit, gloves and pair of new gloves in about 2 weeks for nowt, thought they were ok.

Just shelled out for new Xcel 6mm, first since 2009, grim reading..
MJE

Postby artyk » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:26 pm

Yeah i thought xcel was the only suit i would ever buy after getting one 2 years ago but just had to replace it this year , the leg panel behind the knee split and its alredy had repairs to chest panel and back panel got to say not that happy with the quality , warm as toast but would have thought it would last longer than that, after many recomendations have gone for rip curl flash bomb this year and ive got no complaints so far
artyk

Postby slipslide » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:40 pm

Always swore by xcel until I got my matuse. Awesome warmth not had long enough for durability report but super fleecy and warm. Customer service has been awesome but you have to get it to the US first. Great people though with a first class attitude.
slipslide

Postby henryg » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:44 pm

I've heard that the new batch of Ripcurls are a lot better than the old ones and I also know someone who swears by Matuse, has had his for a good few years and still going strong. I'll certainly be looking around next tme i'm buying a winter suit. I recently had a 4:3 Ebomb so i'll see how that fairs before i reconsider a ripcurl.
STOP...... Hammertime
henryg

Postby flacky » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:40 pm

My Xcel is 2010. Still seems fine though I haven't worn it yet since march/april... I bought mine from the states, even with customs it came in at 240 for the Infiniti hooded drylock.
If I were getting a new one now I'd be tempted by a Boz suit. The guy I get mine from said they are amazing quality.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby usedtobe69 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:25 am

Johnny_rad wrote:Haven't had an XCEL for years, but heard they are now owned by Billabong and the quality has gone to shit..

you are talking complete horse shit. :roll:
usedtobe69

Postby WP101 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:08 am

usedtobe69 wrote:you are talking complete horse shit. :roll:

They've been owned by 'bong (since 2007),probably a good move as they would have struggled to stay afloat (like WEST), but the quality hasn't dropped at all imo, my mate's just got an infinti and the taping and build quality is excellent, ive got a shitty o-zip and its fucking solid!
I reckon its just the amount of suits they sell has increased a fuckload so there's more chance of one or two slipping the quality net.

Maybe some of the delay can be put down to the fact that the suit has to be sent back to the manufacturer for assessment, to see who made the fuckup and why etc.

Theres no point just fixing it and sending back to the punter, no questions asked, if they operate professionally and they're serious about their product, they need to make sure this kind of thing doesnt happen again.

I'd put the lack of communication down to being part of a huge multinational company as opposed to 'the indipendent wetsuit company' they used to be.
Last edited by WP101 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WP101

Postby creature » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:53 pm

incorrect use of the word "there" , second to last paragraph...you need to make sure that doesnt happen again

i agree with everything else
creature

Postby WP101 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:16 pm

creature wrote:incorrect use of the word "there" , second to last paragraph...you need to make sure that doesnt happen again

i agree with everything else

fixed :D
WP101

Postby Philshoz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:33 pm

Fixed?
Where's the apostrophe ?
http://philshorrock.blogspot.fr/
Philshoz

Postby WP101 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:26 pm

Philshoz wrote:Fixed?
Where's the apostrophe ?

That should be it now, all grammar corrected.
WP101

Postby Philshoz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:36 pm

WP101 wrote:

They've been owned by 'bong (since 2007),probably a good move as they would have struggled to stay afloat (like WEST), but the quality hasn't dropped at all imo, my mate's just got an infinti and the taping and build quality is excellent, i've got a shitty o-zip and it's fucking solid!
I reckon it's just the amount of suits they sell has increased a fuckload so there's more chance of one or two slipping the quality net.

Maybe some of the delay can be put down to the fact that the suit has to be sent back to the manufacturer for assessment, to see who made the fuckup and why etc.

There's no point just fixing it and sending back to the punter, no questions asked, if they operate professionally and they're serious about their product, they need to make sure this kind of thing doesn't happen again.

I'd put the lack of communication down to being part of a huge multinational company as opposed to 'the indipendent wetsuit company' they used to be.

5/10 WP101...............see me after class.... :oops:
http://philshorrock.blogspot.fr/
Philshoz

Postby WP101 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:29 pm

bloody hell that's pretty embarrassing :oops:
WP101

Postby henryg » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:06 pm

WP101 wrote:

They've been owned by 'bong (since 2007),probably a good move as they would have struggled to stay afloat (like WEST), but the quality hasn't dropped at all imo, my mate's just got an infinti and the taping and build quality is excellent, ive got a shitty o-zip and its fucking solid!
I reckon its just the amount of suits they sell has increased a fuckload so there's more chance of one or two slipping the quality net.

Theres no point just fixing it and sending back to the punter, no questions asked, if they operate professionally and they're serious about their product, they need to make sure this kind of thing doesnt happen again.

Suit definitely didn't go back to Xcel, the guy on the phone told me that the girls that glue the suits back together were away and someone was ill yadda yadda... The suit has definitely just been fixed and sent back.
STOP...... Hammertime
henryg

Postby WP101 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:13 pm

ah well, who the hell knows what goes on, maybe if we were in the States it would be a different story?...hows the repair look?

got a little distracted by the alana pic on the website http://danielsurf.com/# jeezzus :?
WP101

Postby henryg » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:12 pm

Repair looks ok, suit yet to be tested in the water though
STOP...... Hammertime
henryg

Postby swiggy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:37 pm

henryg wrote:I've heard that the new batch of Ripcurls are a lot better than the old ones and I also know someone who swears by Matuse, has had his for a good few years and still going strong. I'll certainly be looking around next tme i'm buying a winter suit. I recently had a 4:3 Ebomb so i'll see how that fairs before i reconsider a ripcurl.

Matuse are really popular here. They are incredibly comfortable and stretchy, they have xcel beat in that department for sure. Seem to be cut for skinny guys. There seem to be a lot of seam failures though, there is a bit of the shoulder that always came apart, they have fixed that now though, and they will fix any suit no questions even after the warranty if it is one of those defective ones. My mate actually ripped the wrist of his yesterday, its a year old. He seemed to take it off in a strange way though, so I'm pretty sure its his own fault.
swiggy

Postby WP101 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:03 pm

swiggy wrote:
Matuse are really popular here. They are incredibly comfortable and stretchy

thats a similar quote,from a mag, made by one of the norcal/santa cruz surfers,cant remember who, that made me buy my first Infinti around 2004/5,(binned it last year,improved my surfing no end,got out more...simple ) ..got a Hotline through similar reasoning, it proved a bit too agricultural for me however.
WP101

Postby swiggy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:45 pm

The matuse shits all over the xcel for stretchiness and comfort, I kind of feel like xcels were amazing 6 years ago but they haven't improved since, my fairly new 6mm infiniti is no different to my 6 year old one, other brands have been improving all the time. I know don't mess with success and the xcels were damn good, but I would like to try a matuse. I've only ever borrowed a mates, and never in winter so can't really comment on the warmth issue. It is noticeably lighter though too, if its as warm as the xcel then thats pretty amazing. They are ~ $100 more expensive than even a drylock xcel though here, and I can always get good deals on xcel stuff so the matuse really would be twice the money for me, and I don't think they are twice as good.
swiggy

Postby usedtobe69 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:43 pm

henryg wrote:
WP101 wrote:

Suit definitely didn't go back to Xcel, the guy on the phone told me that the girls that glue the suits back together were away and someone was ill yadda yadda... The suit has definitely just been fixed and sent back.

you thought they would send it back to Thailand for a repair job?

they have in house repairs at danielsurf with two women who have been making wetsuits for 20 years each at least using the same glues,tapes etc as the factory in thailand.

danielsurf(xcel uk) is a relatively small family run operation, it is what it is, if you send a suit in for warranty issues it goes to the warehouse in plymouth where the repairs are done.

people go on holiday/go sick in every job, shit happens.
usedtobe69

Postby flacky » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:50 pm

3 year old Xcel infiniti today. Still stretchy and toasty after a summer in the shed.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby henryg » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:48 am

@Usedtobe69

Shit happens but i was without a suit for 5 weeks with no word on what was happening, it doesn't take much to pick up a phone or send an email. You obviously have links to Danielsurf because you're defending them. I don't care that they are a small family run business, I'm paying good money for a supposedly quality product and I expect good aftersales customer care. If that's not ok then fuck you

(And no i didn't expect them to send it back to Thailand, WP101 suggested that that might be the reason for the delay. It would have probably been back quicker if I'd sent it direct to Thailand myself)

PS one of the repairs still leaks
STOP...... Hammertime
henryg

Postby mountain man » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:41 am

I had a Xcel suit repaired by Danielsurf a few years back and I can't rmember how long it took but in fairness they did a very good job of the repairs.

As a matter of interest, what exact warrenty does Xcel give? I have a suit less than 1 year old which is leaking on a few seams, nothing too bad but noticable but would this be classed as reasonable wear and tear or could it be reapired under warrenty? The suit has been used a lot in the time I've had it.
mountain man

Next

Return to Wetsuits and gear