Wetsuit FFS

Got a question about this years best new wetsuit? Found an amazing new surf product? Post in here and let people know about it.

What's the best wetsuit

Xcel
21%
Billabong
3%
Oneil
18%
Rip curl
18%
Patagonia
3%
West
1%
Snugg
7%
Asda
No votes
Lidl
4%
Matuse
1%
C skins
18%
Alder
No votes
Hotline
No votes
No limits
4%
Axxe
1%
Tikki
1%

Total votes : 73

Wetsuit FFS

Postby danny1 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:52 pm

Let's put a stop to these daft Qs once and for all just vote in your experience who has given you the best wetsuit overall

If anyone asks the q again point em overhere
Last edited by danny1 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Re: Wetsuit FFS

Postby danny1 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:53 pm

Ps tell me if I've missed any off that you want included
danny1

Postby ATTMFKH » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:53 pm

where's Lidl :?
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby ATTMFKH » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:54 pm

cheers mucker :lol: :lol:
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby lostboy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:00 pm

That's all well and good for wetsuits, but which are the best boots?

My mate Dave had a pair of Alder 6mms once and he said they're really good but i've seen someone else on the internet say they're not that good, and the O'Neill ones are better as long as you get the 7mm ones. Any help much appreciated, Cheers!
Kill. Destroy. Plunder.
lostboy

Postby Black » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:13 pm

Think you still need a few more makes up there. I would definitely like to vote for c-skins.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Philshoz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:22 pm

danny1 wrote:Ps tell me if I've missed any off that you want included

Matuse

AXXO

Aldi

Man at C & A

Ann Summers..........(latex etc.. :oops: )
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby Philshoz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:24 pm

First to vote, what do I win?
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby swiggy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:42 pm

lostboy wrote:That's all well and good for wetsuits, but which are the best boots?

My mate Dave had a pair of Alder 6mms once and he said they're really good but i've seen someone else on the internet say they're not that good, and the O'Neill ones are better as long as you get the 7mm ones. Any help much appreciated, Cheers!

I really like my quiksilver 7.5 mm boots. They have lasted a while, are super warm, and they have a much better strap system than any other boots I've seen, it will never roll around your foot. I used to be an xcel worshipper for sure, but their boots aren't so good. These are much nicer to surf in than any xcel boot I've ever had, and they are cheaper than the drylocks.

(I know you were taking the piss, but I'm honestly pretty happy with the quiksilvers, since I typically go through 2-3 pairs of boots a year I'm glad to find something a bit more robust..)
swiggy

Postby WP101 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:17 am

just to be awkward can you really comment or vote unless you've tried them all?

its universally recognised however that billabong suits are shit, so there out anyway.

out of the ones ive owned (sola,gul,hotline,xcel,west,realm) id say Xcel but after what ive read on here the best is probably Patagonia or Matuse so fuck knows :lol:
WP101

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:24 pm

Best suit is THE ONE THAT FITS YOU!!!!

All the bells and whistles and hexagonal aircell merino hedgehog pockets don't mean shit if it's baggy round your ankles and stretched as thin as a condom over your elbows.....

If anyone's in the market for a suit, then aks yourself - 'can I afford a custom?' if the answer is 'yes', then speak to Snugg or No Limit

If the answer's 'no' then go to a surf shop, you know - one that sells surfboards and not just clothes, feel and try on a few suits, ignore the marketing voices in your head and see what you like best. Any staff worth their salt will tell you if it's a good fit.

And then either do the right thing and buy the damed thing there and then (knowing they will help you if it goes wrong if the shop is kosher) or, if you are skint, buy a t-shirt/leash/block of wax/FCS key, say thank-but-no-thanks and hunt the suit down on the web. A 'used-once' (probably by someone who didn't try it on) ebay bargain may see you through a couple of winters.

Unless you live in the remote Hebrides, you will usually find surf shops near the surf (funnily enough), so I don't want any of this 'But I don't live near the sea' whining.... You presumably go surfing in the sea, so go into a surf shop next time you're near the sea.

Now, can we can make this thread sticky please?
Archy_is_God

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:25 pm

That's a general post, not in resonse to WP101 :)
Archy_is_God

Postby Kamikaze » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:57 pm

No Tiki? Best summer suit i've ever owned, I'm dreading needing to replace it.
Kamikaze

Postby swiggy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:38 pm

Kamikaze wrote:No Tiki? Best summer suit i've ever owned, I'm dreading needing to replace it.

Do you surf? I just thought you posted jokes :lol:
swiggy

Postby surfrat » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:37 pm

Billabong just got a whole lot better btw.....

thanks to buying Xcel and taking some tips on board. The new A/W 12/13 Foil is a sick little suit....and my SGX summer suit is super comfy, love it.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HunterSurf/133748279996238
surfrat

Postby roberdy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:38 pm

Archy_is_God wrote:Best suit is THE ONE THAT FITS YOU!!!!

All the bells and whistles and hexagonal aircell merino hedgehog pockets don't mean shit if it's baggy round your ankles and stretched as thin as a condom over your elbows.....

If anyone's in the market for a suit, then aks yourself - 'can I afford a custom?' if the answer is 'yes', then speak to Snugg or No Limit

If the answer's 'no' then go to a surf shop, you know - one that sells surfboards and not just clothes, feel and try on a few suits, ignore the marketing voices in your head and see what you like best. Any staff worth their salt will tell you if it's a good fit.

And then either do the right thing and buy the damed thing there and then (knowing they will help you if it goes wrong if the shop is kosher) or, if you are skint, buy a t-shirt/leash/block of wax/FCS key, say thank-but-no-thanks and hunt the suit down on the web. A 'used-once' (probably by someone who didn't try it on) ebay bargain may see you through a couple of winters.

Unless you live in the remote Hebrides, you will usually find surf shops near the surf (funnily enough), so I don't want any of this 'But I don't live near the sea' whining.... You presumably go surfing in the sea, so go into a surf shop next time you're near the sea.

Now, can we can make this thread sticky please?

Well said Archy, heard and obeyed :lol:
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby swiggy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:54 pm

I dunno man, xcels are more expensive than snuggs or no limits aren't they? Patagonia/Matuse etc. definitely are, Matuse are $600 here, so 400 quid give or take, and they are always full price whereas I've always got deals on Xcels. I've often put up with xcels that don't fit me that well (I'm too skinny for them really) because even badly fitting they are better than the alternative, a bit of bagginess around your stomach is a minor irritation when they are still warmer or stretchier or longer lasting than the alternative, I don't think snugg are really approaching the flexibility vs warmth of the top end suits.
swiggy

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:18 pm

Yeah, it depends what you want most I guess... I was just being obtuse :lol:

People love different suits for different reasons; I don't feel the cold so much, so will happily wear an O'Neill Gooru over a Psycho 2 as the Gooru feels like it's almost 'sprayed-on'. They are cheap, too...

Patagonias are heavy and don't have so much flex, but are warm as toast and last well, but you pay good money for them. Matuse are thin, flexy, expensive and trendy IMO.. Not worth the bother unless you get a cheapie. Xcel are consistently good now, but I had a spate of returns on a few suits about ten or eleven years back.

I still maintain that the fit is key - it has such an effect on so many variables; warmth, flexibilty and durability (as you don't have 'thin bits' that wear through quicker)

Nothing worse than water swilling around your kidneys.. You'll get cold so much quicker and feel bogged down. 'Orrible, I reckon... :?

Some guys round here are wearing their custom Snuggs for the 4th season (with 4 or 5 sessions a week) so they must be doing something right.

No Limit are really good value - about £250ish for a custom made from Sheico neoprene. Some guys swear by them.
Archy_is_God

Postby swiggy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:36 pm

Yeah, the verdict on matuses from everyone I know seem to be that they are awesome suits, but whether they are worth another 100- 150 quid over an xcel depends on how much spare cash you have..

Have you felt the matuse rubber? It doesn't feel like any other wetsuit material, its like thicker lycra rather than heavy rubber. It just doesn't hold water at all, it feels dry to the touch after you take the suit off, compared with the xcel neoprene that just holds water and takes a day to dry. Theres no such thing as a cheapy though :-( I'm still thinking about getting one though, how much is another hour in the water worth because your arms aren't so tired..
swiggy

Postby WP101 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:09 pm

WTF is goin on with the poll?
WP101

Postby swiggy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:17 pm

WP101 wrote:WTF is goin on with the poll?

Every time an option is added all the counters reset to zero :lol:
swiggy

Postby danny1 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:23 pm

Christ really? FFS!
danny1

Postby Black » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:50 pm

danny1 wrote:Christ really? FFS!

No, Wetsuit FFS :lol:
Black

Postby swiggy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:00 pm

Yeah, a lot of forum software does that by default. Roberdy could change it if he wants..

You can always vote again if you feel strongly :lol:
swiggy

Postby roberdy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:24 pm

swiggy wrote:

Yeah, a lot of forum software does that by default. Roberdy could change it if he wants..

If he could find the bloody button he would....
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby browncurtains » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:28 am

Have worn out : gul, c skins, alder, snugg mini zip, circle one, hotline , rip curl, body glove, xcel infiniti, snugg silva back, no limits, sola, the wetsuit factory, second skn, west . A Warm bomb proof suit is what i am after.

current East Winter winners.... (depending on your available £ (and fit as Archy says)

Highest £: snugg mini zip hooded 5/4
Midest £: custom hooded no limits 5.5. /4 , or 6mm xcel infiniti hooded (x zip 2?) , or hotline hooded
Lowest £:whatever 6mm rip curl f bomb, c skins you can track down online for £100 - £150 bargain bucket having brought the t shirt from the shop you tried it on at..... :wink:

IMAO drylock style wrists seals plus mitts does my nut in for cold water suits...they all always rip.
(even if they dont rip, look at Greg Long. He still ends up gaffa taping his drylock .http://vimeo.com/51117940..)

well that the annual westuits FFS reply done....
till next year
browncurtains

Postby Archy_is_God » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:32 am

'Midest' should be added to the Oxford Dictionary :lol:
Archy_is_God

Postby Black » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:31 am

roberdy wrote:
swiggy wrote:

If he could find the bloody button he would....

There isn't one. You have to edit the sql code!
Black

Postby gavtheoldskater » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:17 pm

i have given up on wesuits and now smear myself in whale blubber. its super flexy, totally natural and supports both japanese and icelandic traditional industry.
a world of waves and a world of ways to ride them!
gavtheoldskater

Postby Underdog » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:46 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^
I think I've seen you down Sennen.
How the hell did you manage to smear it under your skin? :-D :-D
Godrevy; Just like surfing. but smaller (and without the power)
Underdog

Next

Return to Wetsuits and gear