Wetsuit FFS

Got a question about this years best new wetsuit? Found an amazing new surf product? Post in here and let people know about it.

What's the best wetsuit

Xcel
20%
Billabong
3%
Oneil
17%
Rip curl
19%
Patagonia
3%
West
1%
Snugg
7%
Asda
No votes
Lidl
4%
Matuse
1%
C skins
19%
Alder
No votes
Hotline
No votes
No limits
4%
Axxe
1%
Tikki
1%

Total votes : 75

Re: Wetsuit FFS

Postby gavtheoldskater » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:42 am

piping bag and cone, quite pleasant actually.
a world of waves and a world of ways to ride them!
gavtheoldskater

Postby Archy_is_God » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:41 pm

:lol:
Archy_is_God

Postby WP101 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:12 pm

just as an aside: whats the verdict on new hooded suits when the hood is down?

I had a hooded hotline firefly few years ago and it used to choke a wee bit, and lifting the hood up n down wasnt very comfortable, but it wasnt super soft neoprene.. dont really need anything other than a 5/3 (+1/-0mm) all seasons up here.
If i could get away with one suit (minus hooded rashie) year round i might try it, if one comes by cheap...... like the hooded West Lotus i just missed on ebay for 77bucks :(
WP101

Postby seymourbutts » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:18 am

anyone ever owned a 'rhino' front zip(hoodless version) winter suit?
seymourbutts

Postby roberdy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:29 am

Black wrote:
roberdy wrote:
swiggy wrote:
Yeah, a lot of forum software does that by default. Roberdy could change it if he wants..

You can always vote again if you feel strongly :lol:

If he could find the bloody button he would....

There isn't one. You have to edit the sql code!

Well that ain't gonna happen, I'll break the forum foreva!
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Philshoz » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:00 pm

How about one of those kits you could buy in Exchange and Mart a hundred years ago. Anyone remember those?

Complete with yellow tape for seals...................................Phil shows his age yet again.... :-(
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby Black » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:38 pm

Philshoz wrote:How about one of those kits you could buy in Exchange and Mart a hundred years ago. Anyone remember those?

Complete with yellow tape for seals...................................Phil shows his age yet again.... :-(

Thats one right there, forgot it was exchange & mart the kit came from. Cut down at the knees due to growth spurt. I have access to sheets of neoprene at work! :idea:
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby waxer00 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:57 pm

i have some turn buttons for the beaver flap if anyone is interested :shock:
waxer00

Postby Archy_is_God » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:22 pm

Don't lower the tone of the thread, waxer.... :lol:
Archy_is_God

Postby Philshoz » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:18 am

waxer00 wrote:i have some turn buttons for the beaver flap if anyone is interested :shock:

Great way to put holes in the deck
Philshoz

Postby Philshoz » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:19 am

Black wrote:Thats one right there, forgot it was exchange & mart the kit came from. Cut down at the knees due to growth spurt. I have access to sheets of neoprene at work! :idea:

That looks like Anglesey, probably not.......?
Philshoz

Postby Black » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:48 am

Philshoz wrote:
waxer00 wrote:i have some turn buttons for the beaver flap if anyone is interested :shock:

Great way to put holes in the deck

The zip pull on my beavertail used to ding the deck on my board by hanging down then stabbing it as I paddled!

Its Cornwall in the pic.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby flacky » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:32 pm

surfrat wrote:Billabong just got a whole lot better btw.....

thanks to buying Xcel and taking some tips on board. The new A/W 12/13 Foil is a sick little suit....and my SGX summer suit is super comfy, love it.

Wanna see some photos of my Solution platinum that after one year and approx 6 surfs now has yellow seams that are wide open in parts?

Seriously wouldn't touch Billabong again for free. Annoying as hell because it fit's amazingly, and is very comfortable.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Archy_is_God » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:06 pm

Such a shame they went downhill...

I had a Billabong 'Furnace' 4/3 about ten years ago that was probably the best suit I've ever had; warm, flexy, great fit, built well... Ho hum.
Archy_is_God

Postby dermo909 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:35 am

The Billabong foil I've had for the last 2yrs has served me extremely well. Apart from being slashed by fins in a few places the only area thats showing any sort of strain is the arse area. The suit it very slightly too small for me though so its to be expected. I've repaired all those areas and the suit is still warm n toasty. I have however added a thermal rashie for the colder days!

I've had at least 300 surfs in it and in my book its a great value suit.
dermo909

Postby danny1 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:28 pm

I bought a 3mm billabong start of summer- by end of summer it was falling apart. On the east coast I'm not joking it was less than 20 surfs. I won't go anywhere near them now.
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby Chris F » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:13 pm

Philshoz wrote:How about one of those kits you could buy in Exchange and Mart a hundred years ago. Anyone remember those?

I remember my dad making one of those for snorkelling - cut wrong in one place and ended up with an extra seam!
Chris F

Postby dermo909 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:09 pm

I wonder does rinsing your suit out properly after every surf prolong its life? I've always rinsed my suit and hung it up to drip dry(even if I'm going for a 2nd session that day).
dermo909

Postby Philshoz » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:08 am

dermo909 wrote:I wonder does rinsing your suit out properly after every surf prolong its life? I've always rinsed my suit and hung it up to drip dry(even if I'm going for a 2nd session that day).

IMO Dermo, yes. I've got a couple of rain water butts and rinse in there after every surf.

But I reckon the best way to prolong the life of a suit is to have a couple the same. I had a 3/2 eBomb showing signs of wear, found another on here £50 ( thanks lecky) and alternating them has helped a lot. You can rest one and let it dry completely. Plus getting in to a dry suit is always nicer of course.
Philshoz

Postby glamarama » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:21 am

I have only ever owned two types of steamer wetsuits. Rip curl ebombs both 2 and currently 3 both chest zipsAnd got matuse tumo 2 mm full suit. Now I'm talking for east coast Sydney conditions here.

The matuse is the ants pants. Light, drys quickly, warm for the conditions fits snugly, flexible. It's pretty awesome. Except.
Getting the thing off. Impossible. The chest zip design is ridiculous. You need to be Houdini. I have never, I repeat never been able to get the wetsuit off myself. Mates I surf with or I have asked a stranger. I once had to ask my 4 yr old daughter to help dad out of the suit! Impossible. Besides that its the best. Feels like no other wetsuit.

The ebomb3 is a breeze to get in and out of. It loses out to the matuse in all other aspects. You need a 3x2 to get the same warmth as the matuse 2mm so noticeably heavier. Retains water so takes longer to dry. Probably just as flexible no difference here.

It touch and go but I reckon the ebomb just on overall. I couldn't wear my suit is I was going surfing by myself. But then you add in the cool factor and it matuse.
glamarama

Postby Chris F » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:31 pm

dermo909 wrote:I wonder does rinsing your suit out properly after every surf prolong its life? I've always rinsed my suit and hung it up to drip dry(even if I'm going for a 2nd session that day).

I normally hang my wetsuit on the washing line (inside out) and let the lovely british weather give it a bit of a freshwater rinse and then take it in when it's dry(ish).
Chris F

Postby flacky » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:36 pm

Just got store credit for returning my billabong... Body glove? Ricurl e bomb or chance another bong...
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby glamarama » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:39 pm

Go the ebomb.
glamarama

Postby ATTMFKH » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:06 pm

flacky wrote:Just got store credit for returning my billabong... Body glove? Ricurl e bomb or chance another bong...

Got an eBomb Pro 4/3 - best suit I've owned. .....
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby dermo909 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:33 am

I've just got a new Billabong Revolution and comparing it to my old Billabong Foil it seems wayyyy more flexible and slinky. Less seams too so less things to go wrong hopefully. Wetsuit outlet had it on offer so I could'nt resist :lol:

As normal though, whenever I get a new piece of kit....... Conditions go completely sh*te! Hopefully the gale force winds will let up soon and I'll get a chance to try it!
dermo909

Postby flacky » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:41 pm

Thats where i got my Platinum Solution from, Amazingly cony, light, flexible suit, but the seams were all dry and yellow, the shop originally said as it was over 12 months from bought they wouldn't replace it, so i went to bong, had to chase and chase but they've given me the full store credit for the same place.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Archy_is_God » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:10 pm

Body Glove Vapor

If you see one and it fits, buy it. Best suit I've had in years.

I normally surf 3-5 times a week through the winter and it's done me proud. Super toasty and holding up well.
Archy_is_God

Postby dermo909 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:02 am

5 months later update on the Billabong Revolution 5/3:

I've probably surfed 50 times in the suit and its fantastic. Really warm and stretchy. All the seams and panels are still perfect so well happy there! I was worried about the back zip but there's been no issues with the Velcro coming undone or flushing(my previous Billabong Foil was awful for this)

Only issue is that I've managed to rip the neck panel when putting on the suit a bit enthusiastically. Well it was 3' and glassy! A bit of neoprene queen and a little patch and its perfect again.

Great suit for the money but beware of the neck panel where its cut out/shaped for your adams apple!
dermo909

Postby Philshoz » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:13 am

I see Matuse are doing 25% off. Check the Vintage section.

With $60 fixed shipping makes it quite tempting......
Philshoz

Postby jonnyboyz » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:38 pm

Bought a O'Neill Pyscho 3 wetsuit from these guys and MSW didnt have my size http://www.wetsuitcentre.co.uk/oneill_psycho_3_43_zen_zip_winter_wetsuit_spring_2013_-_black_grey

The wetsuit is super warm and comfortable. My last wetsuit was a Billabong which was utter crap
jonnyboyz

PreviousNext

Return to Wetsuits and gear