Wetsuit - How tight is too tight?!

Got a question about this years best new wetsuit? Found an amazing new surf product? Post in here and let people know about it.

Re: Wetsuit - How tight is too tight?!

Postby biolton » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:57 pm

Leven wrote:Nope, you need to try them on in the shop, and buy the one that fits the best for you....

Ok... So nobody who tries suits in shops ever makes sizing mistakes then? I bought my mistakes in shops, many shop owners are friends of mine, different shops, different brands... And i'm not talking one or two suits.... Just happens that after many seasons and many suits and many surfs i am finaly working it out for myself! And no newbie...

If my findings help others, so be it.... If it's so obvious everyone is doing it i should keep quiet.
biolton

Postby WP101 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:24 pm

ive had to modify the neck on 2 chest zip suits, one xcel, one west because they leaked, only one was new so no so bad.

you cant tell how a suit is going to perform/fit until you use it and it gets wet. it grips your skin too much when dry i find, its not a good test of fit.
wetsuit companies should be testing their suits thoroughly, all sizes.
its no wonder so many suits get punted off for sale, you cant take it back once its been used, bit of a shitter
WP101

Postby Leven » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:47 pm

I just find it bizarre that an experienced surfer can't go into a shop and buy a wetsuit that fits! I've worn Ripcurls (MT in 5mm, M in 3mm), Xcel (M in 5mm & 3mm), Patagonias (M in 3mm and 2mm), O'neills (M in 5mm & 3mm), an old Quiksilver (absolute pile of shite and wouldn't fit anyone), Billabong (MT in 5mm, M in 3mm) and never had a problem with any of them. I try them on, have a good jump around in them, have a good stretch in them, make sure there's no rubbing/baggy parts and Bob's your fathers brother!

If it's so tight it's strangling you, it's too small. If it's so loose you can get your finger it's too big!
Leven

Postby Black » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:16 pm

^^^ yep!
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby WP101 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:11 pm

my excuse is that you have surf shops,there are no surfshops for 150miles up here.. plus we're not all exact sizes,hence custom suits like snugg, i have relataively broad shoulders for my size so i find the neck is stretched on a suit that fits great everywhere else if a suit isnt a perfect fit up here you know about it in 0 deg rivermouths
WP101

Postby biolton » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:11 pm

Leven wrote:I just find it bizarre that an experienced surfer can't go into a shop and buy a wetsuit that fits! I've worn Ripcurls (MT in 5mm, M in 3mm), Xcel (M in 5mm & 3mm), Patagonias (M in 3mm and 2mm), O'neills (M in 5mm & 3mm), an old Quiksilver (absolute pile of shite and wouldn't fit anyone), Billabong (MT in 5mm, M in 3mm) and never had a problem with any of them. I try them on, have a good jump around in them, have a good stretch in them, make sure there's no rubbing/baggy parts and Bob's your fathers brother!

If it's so tight it's strangling you, it's too small. If it's so loose you can get your finger it's too big!

You maybe right... But i do find some of us have bodies which are slightly different to what wetsuit companies accomodate for.... Id be perfect in a ST with a M chest..... So no perfect suit for me... And as you point out, different sizes in different thickness in some suits....

BTW...You are talking of 11 suits there!! Including two Patagonias.... I try to make it through 3 winters on the same winter suit and two summers in the summer suit.... And its not good when you get the size wrong..... And it means trial and error has taken me years....
biolton

Postby Black » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:12 pm

my excuse is that you have surf shops,there are no surfshops for 150miles up here.. plus we're not all exact sizes,hence custom suits like snugg, i have relataively broad shoulders for my size so i find the neck is stretched on a suit that fits great everywhere else if a suit isnt a perfect fit up here you know about it in 0 deg rivermouths
Yeah its not so critical down this way I agree. The neck issue is not present in a back zip, but maybe other things are, I dunno.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby WP101 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:21 pm

biolton wrote:
Leven wrote:I just find it bizarre that an experienced surfer can't go into a shop and buy a wetsuit that fits! I've worn Ripcurls (MT in 5mm, M in 3mm), Xcel (M in 5mm & 3mm), Patagonias (M in 3mm and 2mm), O'neills (M in 5mm & 3mm), an old Quiksilver (absolute pile of shite and wouldn't fit anyone), Billabong (MT in 5mm, M in 3mm) and never had a problem with any of them. I try them on, have a good jump around in them, have a good stretch in them, make sure there's no rubbing/baggy parts and Bob's your fathers brother!

You maybe right... But i do find some of us have bodies which are slightly different to what wetsuit companies accomodate for.... Id be perfect in a ST with a M chest..... So no perfect suit for me... And as you point out, different sizes in different thickness in some suits....

BTW...You are talking of 11 suits there!! Including two Patagonias.... I try to make it through 3 winters on the same winter suit and two summers in the summer suit.... And its not good when you get the size wrong..... And it means trial and error has taken me years....

i dont know what snuggs are like these days, if they have the same supertrick neoprenes as the big boys but if i was you id be very tempted

also. bodyline, no limits, second skin. they may make you feel like a social outcast but you'll be warm n comfy :D
WP101

Postby ATTMFKH » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:47 pm

WP101 wrote:my excuse is that you have surf shops,there are no surfshops for 150miles up here.. plus we're not all exact sizes,hence custom suits like snugg, i have relataively broad shoulders for my size so i find the neck is stretched on a suit that fits great everywhere else if a suit isnt a perfect fit up here you know about it in 0 deg rivermouths

ESP out the game ?

Water was the coldest I've felt it in a long time yesterday.........
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Previous

Return to Wetsuits and gear