O'Neill Wetsuits 52-12 Review

Got a question about this years best new wetsuit? Found an amazing new surf product? Post in here and let people know about it.

O'Neill Wetsuits 52-12 Review

Postby msw moderator » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:40 pm

We have done a review on latest O'Neill Wetsuits 52-12. Its a limited edition colourway with only a few available in Europe, check the review out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhhZYdzz6DQ

And you can see more details along with photos of the wetsuit here:

http://store.magicseaweed.com/ONeill-Me ... tem/19520/
msw moderator

Re: O'Neill Wetsuits 52-12 Review

Postby ATTMFKH » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:40 am

Think we know where the shop is mate - but hey, it's your site , you can do what the fuck you like :roll:
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby roberdy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:15 pm

ATTMFKH wrote:Think we know where the shop is mate - but hey, it's your site , you can do what the fuck you like :roll:

Easy there ATT, looks like a pretty good wetty and this is the wetsuits and gear forum!
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Black » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:31 pm

Technobutter.... mmmmmmmm
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Poo Stance » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:41 pm

Sticky?
Poo Stance

Postby ATTMFKH » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:59 pm

roberdy wrote:
ATTMFKH wrote:Think we know where the shop is mate - but hey, it's your site , you can do what the fuck you like :roll:

Easy there ATT, looks like a pretty good wetty and this is the wetsuits and gear forum!

:?
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby swiggy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:24 am

Poo Stance wrote:Sticky?

Its the technobutter, it both sticks and slides simultaneously
swiggy

Postby Poo Stance » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:54 pm

Dude. That's not technobutter... :p

One of those suits was on eBay a while back. Went dirt cheap, think it was a 3mm. Was gutted I forgot to bid. They do look like a nice smelling, new stretchy suits for sure.
Poo Stance

Postby doggy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:45 am

I have had one of these as my winter suit this year and it is awesome!

Super stretchy and I think the most comfortable winter suit I have owned, good panel layout and great fit. The thin liquid seams allow full stretch which some thicker ones can restrict. The 'technobutter' lining is also great, super thin so adds to the stretchiness and it really does hardly absorb any water, keeps the suit really light and it dries seriously fast.

The honeycomb air insulated neoprene that you usually find on the chest and back panels of top suits runs all the way down to the knees, you can really feel the difference and your thighs stay super warm. This is especially noticeable when I am teaching as my legs don't get cold at all and I can really feel my legs heating up!

One thing I don't think is correct in the video is saying how it will not be as warm as a 5m or even 6mm. The honeycomb air type neoprene is significantly warmer than normal neoprene and as it has it covering most of the body rather than just the chest and back panels it makes the suit as warm or warmer than previous 5mm suits I have had before. I have been using this suit all the time so far this winter, I put on a thermal rashvest as I thought I might be cold when we were out on new years day and was way to hot! The arms and shoulders may not be as warm as a thicker 5/4 or 6mm suit but your body is so warm you don't feel it, only if it is very windy as I also use it for kitesurfing.
doggy

Postby Jamez » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:14 pm

MSW how about a vid showing the 3mm summer version, lets also see the neck profile under the zip.......i be needing a new summer suit soon (maybe)
Jamez

Postby defever » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:52 pm

I got 4.5/3.5mm and tried it today twice so just writing what I thought...

Condition was very warm and sunny (19-20C), hardly any wind (10mph), and sea temp probably 7-8C. I was wearing 1.5mm Alder gloves, 5mm Drylock boots and a Gul hat (2mm? I think), but I go rid of the hat in the second session as I didn't need it to keep my head warm. Surf was very gentle, 2-3ft south coast slop. No need to duck dive, nothing hollow, and absolutely no worry of getting "caught inside". Probably not the best condition to test out the full potential of 4.5/3.5mm suit...

The neoprene is rather smooth (technobutter?) and the inside lining has a bit of corduroy looks. I don't know if this texture or the material itself is responsible but getting my legs and arms through the suit felt easy; I usually use the "plastic bag" trick to get my 5/4/3 C-skins (grant the thickness difference), but I didn't with 52-12. Ankle and wrist seal is quite good; noticeably tight (but not irritatingly tight) and it didn't flush (well, with above condition, if it did, I'd be complaining really...).

Flexibility and stretch is as expected, I didn't feel restricted at all. I didn't feel it, but it's probably lighter?. Well warm, but the weather was really warm and sunny so false sense of warmth from the suit, I presume. It was little cool when I got in, but soon got warm under the sun and bit of water (not piss mind you) in the suit heated up quickly...

Neck seal is impressive. the neck lining comes up quite high; the neoprene is stretchy enough so the lining doesn't get in the way of getting in/out of the suit. The chest zip neck collar is comfy; it's a double lining (I don't know what O'neill calls it), but the linings roll with your neck movement. I like it.

The suit dries quickly. But I don't know how quick in comparison to other suits with "quick dry" claims. Came out of lunch session, dunked it in cold water, completely wet inside/outside. Drip dried in my room on a hanger, folded at the waist, inside out, major dripping. Couple of hours later, the inside lining was damp to touch. Ankles and wrists still driped when squeezed. Getting into the suit for the second session wasn't unpleasant at all. It was damp but again the corduroy-like inside lining? is quite smooth to get the legs and arms in. Dunked it in water after the second session, same routine, and 4hrs later the inside was dry except the last couple of inches at wrists and ankles. Turned to the outside, was 80% dry.

I like it. Especially when I paid a bargain price for it. It's not an evolutionary wetsuit, but a good quality suit. I am now convinced I can wear this most of the year in the south coast and south west. Not sure about the darkest, coldest winter days, but the suit might impress me when the cold hits again. Shame the weather was very comfortable to test out the suit to the max, but I won't complain about the sun and warmth!

I hope this helps fellow weeders...
defever

Return to Wetsuits and gear