Xcel Drylock Powerseam 5/4/3 review

Got a question about this years best new wetsuit? Found an amazing new surf product? Post in here and let people know about it.

Xcel Drylock Powerseam 5/4/3 review

Postby Goat » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:10 pm

Up until recently, I had been freezing my balls off wearing a West Lotus Air-o 5/4/3 winter wetsuit, with a hooded thermal rashy, 7mm boots and 3mm gloves. And this is in the SW + South Wales. Admittedly the wetsuit is coming up to 2 seasons old, but even still, it appears in tact.

Fed up of feeling so bloody cold, I invested in a Hooded Xcel Drylock Powerseam 5/4/3, which I found in the sales for £300. Still a lot of money but figured it would be worth it.

Only used it the once, so can't comment on durability yet, but blimey it's good. Disturbingly warm. Paddled out yesterday and there were times I thought I was going to overheat (and I feel the cold a lot). Far far warmer than any wetsuit I've ever owned. The hood itself is 3mm I think and has an airprene lining, ensuring it's super warm. The fit is...snug to put it mildly, which probably in some way goes to ensure it's great warmth, but the flexibility is superb. Again, definitely the most flexible winter wetsuit I've worn. This will in part be down to the powerseams, although it is hard to tell how much. They certainly allow greater flexibility when stretching the wetsuit by hand, that is for sure.

No flushing whatsoever and water genuinely seems to wick away from the outside of the suit. Again, whether this characteristic will fade with time is uncertain.

So durability remains the only question mark. On first impressions the suit appears well made and fairly heavy duty, so time will tell.

Thoroughly recommended if you want some snug fitting warmth though.
Goat

Re: Xcel Drylock Powerseam 5/4/3 review

Postby ATTMFKH » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:14 pm

Nice one - how easy did it come off ? :lol: or did you do the Tesco bag trick
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Goat » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:17 pm

Ha, with difficulty! The hood especially feels like it rips out hair when removing it. But feeling warm makes the process much easier.
Goat

Postby eivsemb » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:47 am

Hi :) I'm also looking at buying a Drylock Powerseam 5/4/3 but I have a few questions you might have the answer to!

If you have used it throughout the winter, how has the suit been working for you? Still the same good impression? What about durability?

And I'm also unsure about what size to go for. I weigh about 85 kg and I'm 184 cm, and therefore I'm usually stuck between L and XL for most brands.. I have had a pretty cheap Billabong 5mm winter suit in L that felt way too tight, especially around the shoulders, and I have a 2mm Xcel shorty in L that feels absolutely perfect. What size are you and what wetsuit size do you got? How does it feel? And can you compare the Xcel sizing to other brands?

Cheers from Norway
eivsemb

Return to Wetsuits and gear