Xcel Drylock boots- how dry are your feet?

Got a question about this years best new wetsuit? Found an amazing new surf product? Post in here and let people know about it.

Xcel Drylock boots- how dry are your feet?

Postby cameltoe » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:01 pm

Hello.

My drylock 5/4 is almost watertight, the suit is great, only the tiniest trickle of water gets in occasionally. I recently bought Drylock gloves, and these are unreal, literally NO water gets in, like nothing.

I needed some new boots, but for some reason I couldn't find the Drylock boots in 3mm so I bought the standard Infiniti boots. These let water in! Big time! So now my body and hands are pretty much bone-dry when I'm in the water, yet my feet are completely soaked. Annoying!

I can get the Drylock boots in 5mm, but will they keep my feet dry like the gloves or piss water in like the infiniti's?
cameltoe

Re: Xcel Drylock boots- how dry are your feet?

Postby defever » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:56 pm

Having recently bought second-hand 5mm Drylock split toe boots, I can confidently say from my experience that it stands for its name.

DRYLOCK.

Sure, tiny bit of water goes in bigger waves, but nothing like what you described the standard Infiniti boots. More like how you described your Drylock gloves.
Also when I say a tiny bit, may be enough water to submerge your big toe in its split compartment. That's it.

Hope this helps?
defever

Postby Jamez » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:51 pm

new pair of drylock boots this weekend gone...found them the same as the standard boots if anything colder? (old boots 7mm infinity new ones 5mm drylock)
Jamez

Postby defever » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:28 am

Well err, last weekend (Easter keg) was one hell of a swell with Baltic East'ly... Great fun but loads of flushing and cold cold weather, no doubt.

My Drylock boots had loads of water when I took them off. Nothing like I described above. The swell and bitter cold wind. It'll be colder than 7mm boot, of course.

Other times, though, have been quite good with my boots. What do you say Jamez?
defever

Postby Jamez » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:08 pm

i think the dry lock seal isnt what its sold as

dont get me wrong i bought these boats mainly for the sole which seems to be a lot thinner than the normally infinities thus more of a feel

i actually think my 5mm drylocks (split toe) are great boots though - i was hoping they would be as warm as the 7mm round toe infinity (due to the fact they are sealed on the seams and have the dry lock cuff) however they most definately aint, i will keep them for spring and autumn and probably get a new pair of round 7mm inifinty boots for the depths of winter

they are nice boots though and have a much better natural feel to them due to the thinner sole.

thumbs up for me in general
Jamez

Postby Jamez » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:12 pm

one other thing you actually need water in the boot to allow your feet to warm this water so permeability isnt really an issue.....the thickness is however as its the main insulating factor

as you say though it was proper baltic cold this weekend gone.....i was still comfortably in the drylock 5mm's....i like my feet really toastie though (although i can handle 1mm gloves all year round)! :roll: :roll:
Jamez

Postby defever » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:06 pm

Yup, as said above. I don't think there is a such thing as 100% sealed wetsuit kit. But I am happy with Drylock seal. Haven't tried any rival boots so can't speak in comparison but I'm happy with it. I also agree with the feel of the sole. So soulful.

Also, slightly off topic, but as you mentioned Jamez, I bought one of those new "rubbery" of 1.5mm Alder gloves on that weekend recommended by a shop. Came out of the shop half unconvinced but oh my giddigadonga, it was way better than my 5mm Gul Power gloves. Probably let same amount of water, if not marginally less, and kept my fingers as warm as the 5mm but the lightness and the dexterity was next to not having a glove at all! Well chuffed.

I wish the same could happen with boots, but I guess it's bit difficult with feet as it's submerged under water most of the time.
defever

Postby Jamez » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:52 pm

spot on defever

i actually love those alder gloves been using them for about 5 years now, although at present ive got the thin xcel ones and in all honesty i think the alder are better
Jamez

Return to Wetsuits and gear