Patagonia wetsuit

Got a question about this years best new wetsuit? Found an amazing new surf product? Post in here and let people know about it.

Patagonia wetsuit

Postby kingtom » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:33 pm

Does anyone know anything about the patagonia wetsuits. My winter suits coming to the end of its life so looking to get another one. Heard about these patagonias and have been told i only need a 3mm one. Are they any good?
Tom
kingtom

Re: Patagonia wetsuit

Postby Philshoz » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:10 pm

Lots of references to them if you do a search through the forum.......
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby Leven » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:59 pm

I've had a couple of Patagonia suits now (and tried a few more), and so can probably speak with some idea....

R2 (2mm UK summer suit) - Pretty flexible, but not as much as a 3/2 Flashbomb/Xcel. Seams leak from new due to the way it's stitched, but once you get over the initial leaking, it keeps you super warm (warmer than a normal 3/2 I think). I surfed in mine last year from mid April to mid December in Cornwall, with a thermal rashie in December, and wasn't really ever cold. Now in it's 2nd year, and looks like new.

R3 (3mm UK winter, with 2mm Hood) - Probably about as flexible as a top end 5/4 in my opinion. I've also got a Xcel infinti with is as flexi, but thicker. The seams on the hood leak as they suffer from the same stitching problem as the R2 (basically the neoprene is too thin to double stitch properly). Heavy when wet. BUT, I've surfed mine all winter in Cornwall, and not been cold. Again in it's 2nd year, and is pretty immaculate, aside from where I got the seams in the hood taped on the inside.

R4 (5mm, Norway etc) - Borrowed a mates one of these where the seams had all gone. Got in the water, and water came in through the seams, so was initially cold. After getting over the initial leaks, it was hands down the warmest suit I've ever surfed in. I was actually sweating in February, and letting water to cool down. BUT, it's heavy and not very flexible, and I felt a little like the Michelin Man.

I've found with all of the suits I've worn from Patagonia, that you need to keep moving. The more you move, the hotter you get, and I think in that way they retain way more heat than a normal wetsuit, but they are heavier when wet, and less stretchy. They're also so much easier to put on than a normal wetsuit (especially when wet), as you're putting your legs/torso/arms through wool, rather than rubber. And they feel snug (gay I know, but they do).

So, I like them, but I'm not sure they're as good as the hype. Personally, if you're going to spend £400 on a wetsuit I'd go for an Xcel Drylock or similar, but bear in mind it won't dry as quickly, nor will it have the Patagonia lifetime warranty. Overall, I think they last better than a normal wettie these days, but they're not perfect!

If you're interested, I might be selling my hooded R3 (size medium), as I've been given a new Xcel....
Leven

Postby kingtom » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:12 pm

Perfect just the information I was looking for. Alas I am a large otherwise ill be biting your arm off to buy yours. Now its back to look for the best price, still tempted to go for the old faithful xcel but Ive never had a Patagonia so very tempted

Tom
kingtom

Postby prjwebb » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:01 pm

prjwebb

Postby splinter » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:21 pm

If you've searched you've probably seen my other post but to summarise:

I've owned 2 R3's.

My first Patagonia R3 had glue-line issues which meant it rubbed pretty bad so Patagonia gave me a replacement and said I could keep the original.

I wore them both on rotation for about 6 months at which point they both started leaking all over the place. This was as winter had kicked in so I was fooking freezing only lasting about 45 mins before the shivers started. Couldn't really stay in much beyond an hour.

I complained again to the shop and this time asked for a full refund, on the basis that both suits had failed. 5 weeks later I got my refund.

Good points:
Easy to put on when wet.
Lining dries quickly.
Warranty is amazing.

Bad points:
Scratchy and uncomfortable despite a "perfect fit".
Heavy and inflexible.
Leaky as a sieve.
Not anywhere near warm enough for mid-winter for me. 3mm of neoprene with 1mm of wool is no substitute for more neoprene, however I do feel the cold.
Expensive.

Now the happy owner of a 6 5 4 hooded suit. No heavier or less flexible than the Patagonia and I can stay in for 2.5 hours without so much as a shiver. So nice not having the distraction of being constantly cold, with the inevitable muscle stiffness and general sluggishness that brings.
splinter

Postby kingtom » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:37 pm

ok ill bear that in mind. Cheers
kingtom

Postby transplant » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:03 pm

For what it's worth - It's still early days but I bought an R4 in November and put it up for sale after it was rubbing under the armpits. Thankfully I got some reassurance from guys on here and stuck with it and I'm glad I did. The suits so warm with no chill even after 2-3 hours in the water. I still get the occasional rub but nothing I can't handle. Easy to put on, easy to dry. I find it less restrictive than just neoprene but maybe slightly heavier. All in all it's a lot of cash but if this suit lasts 2 poss 3 seasons I'll be happy. I bought a drylock a few years back which only lasted me one winter- well gutted and for me a total waste of money. Each to their own but I'd try a few to find what's best for you.
transplant

Postby prjwebb » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:05 pm

Bought a Hooded R3 today. Feels cosy!
prjwebb

Postby prjwebb » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:00 pm

prjwebb wrote:Bought a Hooded R3 today. Feels cosy!

Very happy with the R3 so far. It's loosening up more every surf, it's super warm and very comfortable. The wool dries out quickly after hanging it up and it slides on and off nice and easy. Yes they are heavy when wet, but the wool doesn't really get wet during use, only when you dunk them to rinse them after. It feels pretty light and plenty flexible when in the water and I'm not feeling the cold in it at all.
How well it holds up with be the deciding factor as to whether I replace it with another one in the future. I think it'll need to do at least 3 winters to be value for money and this winter doesn't really count as it's nearly over...
prjwebb

Return to Wetsuits and gear