eco wetsuit

Got a question about this years best new wetsuit? Found an amazing new surf product? Post in here and let people know about it.

eco wetsuit

Postby kittypurrkate » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:07 pm

Hi,
Does anyone know of any environmentally friendly, ethically sound wetsuits out there?
kittypurrkate

Re: eco wetsuit

Postby prjwebb » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:29 am

no neoprene is environmentally friendly. getting something that lasts and using it for as long as possible and then giving the suit to a recycling place is probably as good as you're going to get.
prjwebb

Postby Leven » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:47 pm

^^^^ What he said. Lots of companies will claim ethical status and say things like "limestone neoprene", but it's ultimately man made material. Patagonia do give a percentage of their revenue/profits (can't remember which) to green causes every year, but you'll be paying £400+ for a winter suit from them.

Get a decent suit, rinse it after every surf, keep it away from heat and sunlight, and be careful putting it on and taking it off, and it should last a few years depending on how often you surf.
Leven

Postby kittypurrkate » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:51 pm

what about recycled wetsuits?
kittypurrkate

Postby Leven » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:25 pm

No such thing is there? Apart from using someone else's old one/buying on eBay! Some manufactures might use recycled materials in parts of their suits, but it's still not especially environmentally friendly.
Leven

Postby kittypurrkate » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:23 pm

some wetsuits are made with neoprene made from recycled plastic, this much I know, don't know which ones of these are any good
kittypurrkate

Postby defever » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:59 am

http://www.surfersvillage.com/surfing-news/45439#.UUGP6r-2Vc4

I like GUL, and I support SAS. BUT, how much of the material is GUL claiming to use "recycled" substance? 70% of the suit? 10%? 0.1%?! Who knows.

And what process does "recycled" material go through to become materialised into a wetsuit? More petroleum/chemical to bond with rest of the neoprene? ? Who knows.

And what about the carbon foot print of obtaining the recycled materials? Are the pet bottles from the UK or from somewhere else, being shipped to wherever GUL wetsuit is made, AND shipped to UK for retail?

I think they're all the same...

The best environmentally friendly, ethically sound option is not to have a wetsuit...

Just playing devil's advocate...
defever

Postby Chris F » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:31 am

Or use just one until it totally falls to bits, then use the bits to insulate the piping in your house, or something productive; reduce, reuse then recycle.
Last edited by Chris F on Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris F

Postby Leven » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:01 pm

^^ This. Use it until you can't use it anymore, then either sell it to someone who doesn't get in much, use it to repair other suits or for insulation etc.
Leven

Postby marc1 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:19 pm

I recently bought a Matuse Tumo, which has some eco credentials and they use a new process called geoprene, however, aside from that it is super warm and flexy and quite probably the best suit i have ever had. I swapped it for my Xcel and it felt like surfing in a rashy but warmer, i guess if we enjoy a suit and it lasts we are all supporting the environment by not swapping every year
marc1

Return to Wetsuits and gear